The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-06-2022, 12:52 PM

The large tip requirement mentioned above works. I was in a Nashville honky-tonk last year when the band was taking requests for tips. They announced there were two songs that were $100 tip songs - Free Bird and Devil Went Down to Georgia. It was a good & drunk crowd and they rose to the challenge, and filled the hat. The band played both (and well) so it was a win-win.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
When I hear someone playing a clever B-side instead of a popular band's beaten-to-death "Big 3" radio fare, it makes me happy. I think, "They play this? Excellent!"

I'd like to believe listeners/drinkers/dancers in a bar where I'm playing might feel the same way. But as a musician for over 50 of my 66 years, I'm probably looking for something way different than people recognizing a chord or two and bellowing "Just take those old records off the shelf..."

It's totally subjective for every player and every listener. You've just gotta do what you're willing to do. No joy? Maybe it's time to make some minor (or major) adjustments.

We do Lonesome, Orn’ry and Mean by Waylon, and Before You Go by Buck as two of our, “not known by everyone” songs and always get great feedback afterwards. Our Bluegrass band finished sets on a killer version of Lonesome, Orn’ry and Mean and after one show, a guy came up and asked if that was a Waylon song. When we told him it was, he said, “I wasn’t expecting that from a bluegrass band”! That’s the things I love to hear from a crowd.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 01-06-2022, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

___YUP!___
Old 01-09-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Even with the quadruple negative, I think you may have missed my point. What I mean is if a musician insists on only playing the beaten-to-death, overdone, tired klassics (Brown Eyed Girl, Sweet Home Alabama, Wagon Wheel, Mustang Sally, etc.) because "that's what the crowd wants" (whether the musician actually likes these chestnuts or not) - that musician lacks imagination, or curiosity, or talent, or a combination of two or more of those.

There is a perception that the crowd (only) wants to hear what they already know. If that is in fact true, then that crowd also lacks imagination, or curiosity, or talent, or taste, or a combination of two or more of those. If that is the case, then that crowd deserves to hear nothing but the standard cover band cranking out tired worn out klassic rawk/blues. They deserve each other.

If, however, musicians are willing to challenge themselves and their listeners with something a little different, a little less overplayed, a little unique - they may fall flat. Or they may find, as I do, a different, deeper connection with a smaller but more engaged audience.
I got a good-natured chuckle from your post.
Doing what you suggest, we wouldn’t get any real gigs where we live, not even our family members would show up.
It’s great that you can be choosy and still find a listening audience.
BTW, I still enjoy the adulation.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 01-09-2022 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-09-2022, 05:07 PM

I have a very different attitude to playing music as opposed to listening to it. I can enjoy playing more or less anything. That's definitely not the case with listening.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:18 PM

I don’t like karaoke.
Old 01-10-2022, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

I'm happy this works for you. I actually enjoy playing some of the dreaded songs you list so count me as lacking in talent, imagination, etc. Fortunately we're able to find audiences that are just as dull witted and slow as we are given your laundry list of qualities that evidently apply to me.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
I'm happy this works for you. I actually enjoy playing some of the dreaded songs you list so count me as lacking in talent, imagination, etc. Fortunately we're able to find audiences that are just as dull witted and slow as we are given your laundry list of qualities that evidently apply to me.

It isn’t what you do, it’s how you do it that counts.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
You really need to re-establish your priorities here…it’s about elevating the masses.
I remember Paul Simon being praised during an interview in 1966 for the hit song “Homeward Bound” which was No. 2 at the time,
His response was “yes, but “Hanky Panky” was No. 1. Paul seemed a bit disturbed by that.
Anyone could easily understand his dismay.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-12-2022, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I remember Paul Simon being praised during an interview in 1966 for the hit song “Homeward Bound” which was No. 2 at the time,His response was “yes, but “Hanky Panky” was No. 1. Paul seemed a bit disturbed by that.
Anyone could easily understand his dismay.
I can't. People consume different types of music in different situations for different reasons.

If you're playing a gig, everyone is up dancing, hands in the air and you want to keep it going, what song do you seamlessly slide into next . . . Hanky Panky or Homeward Bound?

Later on, after the gig, your're in the hotel room looking out the window at the snow, thinking of your wife and kids. Now which song do you want to hear on the radio?
Old 01-12-2022, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

...that's flippin' poetic.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:20 AM

I've gone through different phases in my life-- times where I wouldn't compromise much on anything and times when I'd play and sing "Tiptoe thru the Tulips" if the crowd was into it and the pay was good. I've also had points in life where making music was my sole source of income, so I took any gig I could pull off.

Right now, I still have covid fatigue on the whole crowded club scene. So I'm playing what I want. That could change. It's ok to change. It's also ok to "I'm not enjoying this" and stop, unless of course, playing that Florida Georgia Line tune is paying the bills.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-12-2022, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Having read the entire thread
Couple thoughts come to mind
I do think the OP hits upon a common conundrum for performing musicians (the possible difference between what we ourselves like and what the crowd want's to hear)

And while I definitely much prefer to play music I like And am fortunate to not have to worry about how much compensation for the music I play....

I guess I am also at a point in my life, and at an age, that I just won't waste any energy "hating on " the music I don't like.
Again simply won't waste the energy (Something I wish I had learned much much earlier in life)

Thus I am thinking how we as musicians approach that conundrum is far more a matter of our own perspective than anything inherently "wrong" with music we don't like.... And I would suggest that negative thinking and negative verbiage about the music we don't like is also a waste and contributes to a skewed perspective . However I too think the Bro county formula has gotten old and uninspiring

All That said ::
I watched the 2021 CMA awards show and was actually a bit encouraged and I thought to myself,,,, I would not hesitate to play The song of year from The album of the year. ---Maybe there is hope
(As a total OT side note and as a home recordist the mic choice is very interesting )

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-13-2022, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Played music I didn't like for years and years.

Played all the time. 150 or more shows per year for at least 15-20 years.

Learned allot from all I've done.

Today, I play for me.
Old 01-13-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
Getting ready to put our old band back together and have been discussing our setlists. Everyone in this group loves Classic Country and Country music from the late 80's, 90's and early 2000's. However, there are VERY few "current Bubblegum/pop/rap/Bro-country" songs that any of us like. I'm about to the point where I'd rather not play gigs than have to play a bunch of music that I don't like to keep the crowd! Am I the only one who feels this way? I don't mind playing a "token" Morgan Wallen song or two, but I REFUSE to play anything by Florida-Georgia Line and yahoos like that. I guess we'll just accept the fact that our fee to play will be what we get and not expect a lot of tips or repeat gigs!LOL I LOVE playing music with these guys and we have a blast every gig we play and if the crowd tunes us out, we'll still have fun. What's everyone's take on this?
I used to be a DJ and played mostly progressive house and breakbeat. The second my employer started asking me to play Calvin Harris and David Guetta, I quit. I would rather keep my integrity in check than sell out for a paycheck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic