The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2022, 04:06 PM

Default Tusq/Bone or plastic, how do I know?

Evening guys,

I have a setup for this week scheduled on my Fender electric acoustic. How do I know or how will the tech/Luthier know what my bone/saddle are made of without disassembling the guitar?

What are some of the things a good tech will ask me when I drop the guitar off to him?

Thanks again.

Sid
Old 01-17-2022, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityjack View Post
Evening guys,

I have a setup for this week scheduled on my Fender electric acoustic. How do I know or how will the tech/Luthier know what my bone/saddle are made of without disassembling the guitar?

What are some of the things a good tech will ask me when I drop the guitar off to him?

Thanks again.

Sid
Hi Sid. What is on the guitar probably could be determined with an internet search provided the guitar is new. A good tech could also be able to tell using a drop test/ inspection. Typically plastic will have unnatural manufacturing markings and will look "machined", in other words too perfect. If you suspect the saddle is bone a tech will know by inspection (variation in color and organic markings) or by doing a drop test (plastics, TUSQ and bone all have a different sound when dropping on a hard surface).

Probably the best question a tech could ask you is what style do you play or what style are you going after. Your answer will help the tech determine what kind of setup you need. If they don't ask tell them. Hope that helps.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityjack View Post
Evening guys,

Thanks again.

Sid
Counter question, why would they need to know? Are you planning on swapping for a new nut/saddle? In that case it doesn't matter what the old one was.
2007 Epiphone Emperor Regent - spruce & maple - Vintage Vibe Floating CC
2017 Vintage VJ-100 - Bearclaw Sitka & Sapele - Gretsch Deltoluxe

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion