The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2022, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg67 View Post
How do you answer the question"why do you have or need so many guitars?"

people ask me that seriously. i mean they really want to know

Maybe say they are all your wife's......

BluesKing777.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempotantrum View Post
I noticed a couple posts in this thread imply or even state directly that guitars are relatively inexpensive vices. Having purchased two upper end Martins in 2021, I can say I think higher end guitars are seriously expensive right now. I can understand why a significant other would want to be involved in a $12,000+ spending decision. What level of spending triggers a “financial conversation”? I am currently dating but not married- so I am curious how to get this sorted out[emoji3]

I feel a bit the same. A lot depends on income and profession I suppose, as all throng are relative or relevant.

But I am impressed with some collections bantered about here. Owning upwards of $100,000 worth of guitars is not a cheap hobby. Nor is that “normal”.

I measure into the top 5% earners in the US and would someday like to retire and send my daughter to college. I could buy a lot of nice guitars, but honestly, that is a poor use of my money. If I ever am a good enough player, I could see having a few quite nice instruments. But even then, they have to be consider in view of my long term financial goals and that takes consultation with my partner. We are in this together after all.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
(PART ONE): Yes, I have too many guitars.
Why ? Because I'm a guitar hunter and whilst some of them are necessities, some were , kind, trophies. I'm not particularly proud of that, but I'm not ashamed either.

(PART TWO): it was abut 1996 when i had "that confrontation" with my wife when returning home with a new guitar.
I knew I was in trouble when instead of looking in the case and cooing for me her hands went on her hips.
Uh-oh! Due to my training, I let her commence and finish her attack on my selfishness. Then I calmly explained that we had sufficient funds for all the "house" stuff she had mentioned AND that each guitar was a wooden savings account...........
This has proven true. Now her attituide is that I can have as many guitars as I like as long as I can find somewhere to store them!................
Hope you don't mind I've taken the liberty of marking these "Part One" and "Part Two". Part One is exactly my answer but articulated far better than any feeble attempt I could have mustered. Part Two made me laugh so hard and is pretty much where I and my beloved find ourselves. Well said sir!
Old 01-16-2022, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I can understand why a significant other would want to be involved in a $12,000+ spending decision. What level of spending triggers a “financial conversation”? I am currently dating but not married- so I am curious how to get this sorted out[emoji3]
For me, it's not so much about the money (especially since I make all the money), it's about the storage space!
Old 01-16-2022, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Let’s not forget that zombywoof is three hundred years old, and that ladies all seek shelter when he come chargin’ out.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
A lot of people spend money on all sorts of things I don't spend money on -- expensive things
My brother always seemed to be able to own just about every man-toy imaginable - Dirt bikes, jet skis, fishing boats, RVs. I was always astounded by how he was able to own a home and raise a family and still have money for all those man-toys.

Meanwhile the extra bedroom in my house that I have converted into my "office" is so full of guitars on stands that I am only barely able to pull my chair away from my desk and sit.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 01-17-2022, 11:57 AM

I patiently explain that the perfect number of guitars is four, but that I temporarily own an extra one through no fault of my own.
Old 01-17-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
I feel a bit the same. A lot depends on income and profession I suppose, as all throng are relative or relevant.

But I am impressed with some collections bantered about here. Owning upwards of $100,000 worth of guitars is not a cheap hobby. Nor is that “normal”.

I measure into the top 5% earners in the US and would someday like to retire and send my daughter to college. I could buy a lot of nice guitars, but honestly, that is a poor use of my money. If I ever am a good enough player, I could see having a few quite nice instruments. But even then, they have to be consider in view of my long term financial goals and that takes consultation with my partner. We are in this together after all.
Darn Jamolay......there you go with all that logic and solid financial sense stuff. What a buzzkill. (LOL I am in exactly the same mindset you are on this one.)
Old 01-17-2022, 01:01 PM

too many guitars?

Quote:
I noticed a couple posts in this thread imply or even state directly that guitars are relatively inexpensive vices. Having purchased two upper end Martins in 2021, I can say I think higher end guitars are seriously expensive right now. I can understand why a significant other would want to be involved in a $12,000+ spending decision. What level of spending triggers a “financial conversation”? I am currently dating but not married- so I am curious how to get this sorted out[emoji3]
Everybody's different and spends money on things they like without regard to utility. And everyones' disposable income is different. Even past and current cost of living needs.

And most people have no right to ask anyone's business. Period.

So that said, I don't feel any reason to reply with anything other than a pleasant "Too many" or "Not enough". Which is a way of giving a polite 'don't ask further' answer.

I have spent a lot more than $12K on my own and my kids' education. In actuality, back in the 60s I paid nearly that for my 4 year high school and college education combined. At which schools, today the same education would cost well over a quarter million, not including board. At the turn of the century, the tuition for a very similar high school averaged over 12K a year (6 years) and the exact same college was 40K a year plus annual increases of about 5K. There were some scholarships involved, but still very expensive. You may ask how I know, but if you have been paying attention, you already know the answer.

While on the subject of $12K, my acoustic guitars have cost me a just little over that for all of them combined. Amortize that over 55+ years of playing, or even for just over 35 years of exclusive acoustic playing, it's not all that expensive. I got some good, but not unfair, deals, both used and new. But the Gibson J-200 cost a lot brand new, and that was in 1985 dollars. And I am not unhappy with any of them. 'Nuff said.

And a decent new car costs at least twice that $12K, maybe closer to 3 times.

And I never ask what somebody else paid for anything, for I find that rude.

But I might spend $12K on a new guitar if I hit the lottery big time.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 01-17-2022 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:03 PM

Guitar World March 17, 2020: research suggests the average player now owns between seven and eight guitars. If you have eight or less you are okay.

https://www.facebook.com/RichardsBluesBand
https://www.facebook.com/RichardAbbuhlMusic

Richard's Blue Band on Spotify
Richard Abbuhl on Spotify
RichardAbbuhl.com
Old 01-17-2022, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Most people who own a guitar just let it sit. Most people never learn to play it. So perhaps it's hard for many people to understand the mindset of guitar players who actually are passionate about their music. ...
Is this based on actual data/experience or just a gut feeling?
Check this out: https://www.musicradar.com/news/90-o...ar-says-fender

- Glenn

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-17-2022 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Edited quote.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

I have no clue nor care about "too many guitars"

But perhaps Too Many Mornings Left Undone is easier to fathom

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-17-2022, 02:11 PM

Cool Addiction?

I believe this is the only addiction that will help you live longer...
Old 01-17-2022, 02:47 PM

No one who knows me and knows I have more guitars than most folks has asked why.

I suspect folks know the answer is simply that I love guitars and want them.
Old 01-17-2022, 03:43 PM

My eight guitars are cheaper than buying and owning a power boat!

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion