The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-05-2022, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I went to one of those places once...

Took the free 'drink' and woke up 6 hours later in a bathtub filled with ice and no kidneys! You got off lucky!!

Too funny, well dialysis works pretty well.
Old 01-05-2022, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

When my youngest son got married a couple years ago he took me and the two guys standing up for him to a similar joint. I don’t have much hair left and I keep my beard short so I don’t have a lot of need for this treatment but I have to admit it was luxurious. And a bit too early in the day to imbibe.

I haven’t been back but your post refreshed those nice memories…
Old 01-05-2022, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

when i lived in Guatemala, i had one of my bodyguards bring me to get a haircut... for the equivalent of $9 i got a beer ( Gallo) a hot towel treatment, beautiful shave (closest in my life) and the haircut. was the first time i had a beer in a barber shop, tres cool!

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 01-05-2022, 06:20 PM

Sounds like a nice way to spend a part of a day. I’ve been to shops that offer a drink, or that lather up the neck and shave it close…but haven’t been lucky enough to land in a shop that does it all.
Old 01-05-2022, 07:03 PM

Tom - I put my head in a case every night with a home-made humidifier, especially in the winter. Keeps my hair really nice. I never leave my head out on a stand during the winter.

I wish my hair stylist would offer me beer or whiskey! Things sure are different in Texas, eh? Maybe the veterinarians give out a complimentary ketamine patch with each visit?
Old 01-05-2022, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Tom - I put my head in a case every night with a home-made humidifier, especially in the winter. Keeps my hair really nice. I never leave my head out on a stand during the winter.

I wish my hair stylist would offer me beer or whiskey! Things sure are different in Texas, eh? Maybe the veterinarians give out a complimentary ketamine patch with each visit?

Hmmm, good on you for keeping your head in a case, I am sure Mrs. srick appreciates that, but sorry, no special K patches from your vet down here either. I think the DEA frowns on that.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:07 PM

I enjoy my barber, an old Asian man whose special trick is a five minute neck and shoulder massage with a pair of vibrating electric massagers on his hands.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 01-07-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
I enjoy my barber, an old Asian man whose special trick is a five minute neck and shoulder massage with a pair of vibrating electric massagers on his hands.
That sounds sort of great lol. I was just thinking I hope there is no water involved at that point with the electric massages at the base of my neck!!!
Old 01-16-2022, 07:40 PM

This last year, the wife and I spent some time in Sedona hiking and seeing the wonderful sights there. She talked me into joining her for a massage. I had no idea what to expect. We were in the same room, on tables side by side, and each had our own masseuse. It was nearly an hour of deep massage, including detailed attention to the feet, hands, and head. There was calm music, nice smells, and oils. After several days on the trails and sore muscles, I left there feeling like a new man. I don't know what it cost, but I don't care - it was glorious.

I'd always been a cheapskate on haircuts but a new place opened here recently and it is an old school barbershop with the neck shave, and these guys are good. I've decided it's worth it for the quality haircut and the enjoyment.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:32 AM

Soumds like you had a wonderful experience!

I'm more of a get-my-hair-cut-by-the-gal-who-does-my-wife's-hair kind of guy.

But I'm very happy for you!

Best,
PJ
Old 01-17-2022, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtsteve View Post
This last year, the wife and I spent some time in Sedona hiking and seeing the wonderful sights there. She talked me into joining her for a massage. I had no idea what to expect. We were in the same room, on tables side by side, and each had our own masseuse. It was nearly an hour of deep massage, including detailed attention to the feet, hands, and head. There was calm music, nice smells, and oils. After several days on the trails and sore muscles, I left there feeling like a new man. I don't know what it cost, but I don't care - it was glorious.

I'd always been a cheapskate on haircuts but a new place opened here recently and it is an old school barbershop with the neck shave, and these guys are good. I've decided it's worth it for the quality haircut and the enjoyment.
Right, this is the point of my story. Trying new things and finding out how fantastic they can be! We try and get a couples massage every time we go on a nice vacation. It is great for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
Soumds like you had a wonderful experience!

I'm more of a get-my-hair-cut-by-the-gal-who-does-my-wife's-hair kind of guy.

But I'm very happy for you!

Best,
PJ
Well, find a place that caters to you and you may be surprised how much you like it!
Old 01-17-2022, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Sounds like 'Hooters' has moved into men's hairdressing?
My thoughts prezactly! HawHawHaw!

I don't like being fussed with. Getting a haircut is like a dental appointment for me... I get my haircut every few months at "Happy Budget Clipz" from familiar groomers... I'm not looking for a new style, or worse, a total makeover....

Going into a fancy hair parlor like the OP did could be a cool experience, but the sticker shock of those establishments gives me the mullie gullies! It seems way too extravagant for my station in life....

Don

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic