The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Stringed Instruments

Old 01-14-2022, 07:21 AM

I had an accident in 2013 that mangled my left hand/arm.After 3 surgeries I have spent the last 9 years re-learning guitar.It isnt working out so well so I decided to try lap or pedal steel.I have played slide on electric for years so I figured I had a head start.My son has a 10 string pedal he loaned me.At my age there isnt enough time to become proficient with the pedal steel so I went with a lap steel.Been at it about a year using a C6th tuning.One of the biggest obstacles I have found is getting the standard tuning topography out of my head while I'm playing.Pedal steels are a lot of $$$$ so I would suggest starting with a lap steel, you can get a decent lap for under 500 bucks.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes1971 View Post
I had an accident in 2013 that mangled my left hand/arm.After 3 surgeries I have spent the last 9 years re-learning guitar.It isnt working out so well so I decided to try lap or pedal steel.I have played slide on electric for years so I figured I had a head start.My son has a 10 string pedal he loaned me.At my age there isnt enough time to become proficient with the pedal steel so I went with a lap steel.Been at it about a year using a C6th tuning.One of the biggest obstacles I have found is getting the standard tuning topography out of my head while I'm playing.Pedal steels are a lot of $$$$ so I would suggest starting with a lap steel, you can get a decent lap for under 500 bucks.
Yes, laps can be reasonably priced. All of my customs sold for less than $500.

Old 01-14-2022, 01:37 PM

Deusenberg makes a lap steel with up to five pedal-like hand operated levers. In practice the learning curve might not be much different from a pedal steel. But it sure is a lot easier to lug around and set up.

Couch Standards
Old 01-14-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
so I went with a lap steel.Been at it about a year using a C6th tuning.One of the biggest obstacles I have found is getting the standard tuning topography out of my head while I'm playing.
If you've already put in a year in CEGACE then I guess you should stick with it.

However, many outstanding lap steel players use tunings that may be more familiar for a guitar player crossing over - DGDGBD, GBDGBD/AC#EAC#E, DADF#AD, et cetera.
Danelectro Dano Pro reissue
Vega lap steel
Maui Music CM concert ukulele
Hollokoi Lajos citera
Tom Yocky dulcimer
Old 01-14-2022, 02:34 PM

Quote:
...Been at it about a year using a C6th tuning.One of the biggest obstacles I have found is getting the standard tuning topography out of my head while I'm playing...
I tried C6 a while back and gave it up, but I decided to force myself to learn the tuning better, I'd take some lessons. I start Monday

What I've been doing to get ready is to write out tab for some fairly simple, familiar melodies that sound good s l o w . I also made a fretboard chart of where all the notes are. Hope it works!

D.H.
Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM

Default Lap vs pedal steel?

I had the pleasure of commissioning a custom made pedal steel from Mr. Fred Justice(now retired)in Arizona. I tried for six years to become even a little bit competent on that gorgeous steel, but it wasn’t meant to be. My son, pictured below, being well versed in music theory, got it in no time. Every pedal and/or lever he activated, singularly or combined, he knew exactly what was happening on the fret board. I gave him my steel three years ago and he has since become quite an in demand pedal steel player in the St. Louie music scene.
I can attest there is nothing in common with a lap steel and a pedal steel guitar. Not even the “steels” used to play them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Stringed Instruments