The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-10-2022, 08:47 AM

Default editing a video for sound in garage band

I've uploaded a video (taken with the onboard IPAD camera) into Garage Band. I can locate the GarageBand File Transfer file with GarageBand open. When I open the file, the video is gray, and won't move, open, etc.
Moused around the web looking for an answer. So, true or false: IPAD IOS will not import video's into the GarageBand software for editing sound only. It must be a sound only file.

Thanks
Scott
Likes technology when it makes my life simpler or time more efficient.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmackie View Post
I've uploaded a video (taken with the onboard IPAD camera) into Garage Band. I can locate the GarageBand File Transfer file with GarageBand open. When I open the file, the video is gray, and won't move, open, etc.
Moused around the web looking for an answer. So, true or false: IPAD IOS will not import video's into the GarageBand software for editing sound only. It must be a sound only file.

Thanks
Scott
Likes technology when it makes my life simpler or time more efficient.
Hi sbmackie…
Garage Band is an audio editing app, not video. I have stripped audio from a video shot on iPhone or iPad and then assembled it into iMovie (Apple's free video app). It's primitive and possible, but frustrating with extra steps and limitations.

I have done primitive video editing with iMovie, but were I to need to edit very much video/audio on an iPad, I'd be using the app Luma Fusion. It is very sophisticated, well supported, and integrates with other video editing programs on computers.

Hope you find a solution.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-10-2022, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

I'm not exactly sure what you want to do, but I just tried this:

1. Recorded a video on my iPad Pro
2. Used AirDrop to send it to my iMac
3. Opened GarageBand created an empty project and dragged the .mov into the project

I can then edit the audio - apply effects, add tracks etc and then save the new .mov to disk. Is that what you're looking for? If you want to edit the video as well then, as ljguitar noted, you'll need to do it a different way.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:36 PM

Kevin
This is in conjuction with the MV88+ I ordered for upgraded sound capture using the camera on an Ipad. Somehwere I thought I saw a post about using garage band to tweak sound. Don't have an iMac; trying to do all on the ipad. I uploaded the practice vid (using on board mic) to a file in garage band, and also to iMovie; neither file is responsive to finger tapping, dragging to "new song", etc. So, I'm assuming the iPad softwear doesn't permit that. Probably overkill anyway; it will be enough for my brain to install the Motiv software from Shure, tweak the MV88, and get a decent sound with that.
Old 01-10-2022, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

OK, you're wanting to do it all on the iPad. I just tried that and got the same result you did. Evidently GB for iOS doesn't import video files. Bummer. I don't have the latest version (iOS 15 compatible). Maybe they've added that in a later version?
Old 01-10-2022, 04:10 PM

My iPad is on OS15.2, so that's not it. Hopefully the MV-88+ and Motiv app make some sense to me.

Scott
Old 01-11-2022, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
...Luma Fusion...
+1 for Luma Fusion, great app.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD