The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-17-2021, 09:01 PM

Default Re-string 5 string electric bass

Full scale 5 string Yamaha TRBX305 just did a restring from D’Addario EXL165-5 to XT 45-130. Should I reset the intonation for new strings or let it ride since the next set will be the same diameter as last set?

Fwiw, I don't play bass regularly. Just to fill in here and there and for some recording.

Also, aside from stretching in (like I do with my acoustic guitars) and playing in, is there anything else to do to get the strings to settle in faster?
Old 12-17-2021, 10:28 PM

I'd let the strings settle/stretch (IME 2-3 weeks for bass if you're not playing regularly) and then check the intonation - sometimes changing brands/construction requires a minor tweak even if the gauges are identical...
Old 12-21-2021, 09:57 PM

They actually settled in pretty quick. Just had to re-tune (*down) once the bass acclimated to the environment.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments