The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Pick Your Favorite!
2004 C-28 Adi/Honduran 9 34.62%
2009 C-28 Adi/Coco 17 65.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2021, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD and Shootout! 2004 Merrill C-28 Adi/Honduran vs 2009 Merrill C-28 Adi/Coco

I just picked up an incredible 2004 Merrill C-28 in Adi/Honduran RW from my buddy Jim (llew) and thought it would be fun to do a shootout against the 2009 C-28 in Adi/Cocobolo that I bought last year.

Both guitars are the finest Martin-inspired dreads I have ever played or owned. Awesome tone, terrific playability, nice full sized soft-v necks, with 1 3/4 nut and 2 5/16 spacing. Similar weight on both too... right around 4 lbs 9oz.

The C-28 Honduran is a touch louder and more woody sounding, while the C-28 Coco has a smooth rich midrange and deep dark lows. The 2009 Coco will be headed in for some TLC soon...it needs a complete refret and possible neck reset as well, but still plays great and puts up a good fight against the 2004 Honduran in the comparison to follow.

I'll let the forum decide though... Enjoy the photos and the sound samples, and please vote for your favorite.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 04-10-2021, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

First off, nice picking. The Honduran is very nice, but the coco is fantastic, at least to my ear. There is a depth and richness to the tone and a thickness to the individual notes that I really like.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:28 AM

Coco wins it for me. Both sound fantastic and you’re lucky to own either, let alone both. But I do like the extra darkness and depth of tone the Coco model offers.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Nice pickup Brendan. What happened to “definitely not adding” from 2 weeks ago?
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...72#post6674572

Congratulations and enjoy.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
First off, nice picking. The Honduran is very nice, but the coco is fantastic, at least to my ear. There is a depth and richness to the tone and a thickness to the individual notes that I really like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts67 View Post
Coco wins it for me. Both sound fantastic and you’re lucky to own either, let alone both. But I do like the extra darkness and depth of tone the Coco model offers.
Thank you both for listening. The Honduran is the more powerful guitar, but the frets on the Coco are on their last legs. I think when it comes back from the shop it should be a more fair fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Nice pickup Brendan. What happened to “definitely not adding” from 2 weeks ago?
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...72#post6674572

Congratulations and enjoy.
Haha Paul — yeah you got me good there! I just never expected Jim to ever sell that guitar and when I got the email, I couldn’t resist. There may be less than 800 Merrills in the wild so this was an opportunity not to be missed. And I’m not really “adding” because I’m gonna let one or two others go shortly

Thanks so much.

Last edited by brencat; 04-10-2021 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:46 AM

coco for me...Merrill hogs suck. Sell it to me for cheap and I will donate it to a nice home.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

They both sound excellent and congrats.

I owned a Merrill OM-18k for awhile. Even tho I prefer 00 sized acoustics and I wasn't blown away w/ koa,... selling the Merrill may be my one guitar faux pas,.. oh well.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Nice pickup Brendan. What happened to “definitely not adding” from 2 weeks ago? .
I'm afraid that's my fault Paul! I was really asking Brendan for some pricing guidance as I was considering selling the Merrill. Next thing you know I'm shipping it to him! I'm just glad it went to a really good home! Enjoy it Brendan!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-10-2021, 02:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Brendan, fantastic!! Congrats, two wonderful guitars! For your style of playing, I found myself leaning ever so slightly towards the Honduran. But I have a feeling that in person, I might lean the other way. Both sound great, and very nice playing too by the way. Very cool, happy for you!
Old 04-10-2021, 02:34 PM

Sounds like a very good D'28
And that ain't bad!
Old 04-10-2021, 02:45 PM

I love those dark low-mids on the coco. Adds a punch that really suits your style of play.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:30 PM

Both are great sounding guitars. I'd have to say I prefer the cocobolo. It has a very warm and smooth sound, and the bass is fantastic. It also seems soundwise, to be be a bit more of an all around guitar, whereas the rosewood Merril to me, seems very much like a bluegrass cannon.

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95
Old 04-10-2021, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I'm afraid that's my fault Paul! I was really asking Brendan for some pricing guidance as I was considering selling the Merrill. Next thing you know I'm shipping it to him! I'm just glad it went to a really good home! Enjoy it Brendan!
I sure will Jim. Been playing it whenever I get the chance. Stunningly good guitar -- thanks again pal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Sounds Select Guitars View Post
Brendan, fantastic!! Congrats, two wonderful guitars! For your style of playing, I found myself leaning ever so slightly towards the Honduran. But I have a feeling that in person, I might lean the other way. Both sound great, and very nice playing too by the way. Very cool, happy for you!
Appreciate it Larry, thanks for listening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brevver2 View Post
I love those dark low-mids on the coco. Adds a punch that really suits your style of play.
Glad you enjoyed it, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl View Post
Both are great sounding guitars. I'd have to say I prefer the cocobolo. It has a very warm and smooth sound, and the bass is fantastic. It also seems soundwise, to be be a bit more of an all around guitar, whereas the rosewood Merril to me, seems very much like a bluegrass cannon.
I'd agree with this assessment. The Coco C-28 is absolutely an all-arounder type of guitar, but the Honduran is pretty good too. It's just drier like Mahogany would be. We are still getting to know each other but both will get plenty of lap time.

Can't believe the lead that the C-28 Coco has in this shootout though. I thought for sure you guys would pick the Honduran in a landslide for its clarity and volume, but ya'll seem to like the rich smooth voice of the Coco instead. What do I know?

Old 04-11-2021, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
...I thought for sure you guys would pick the Honduran in a landslide for its clarity and volume, but ya'll seem to like the rich smooth voice of the Coco instead. What do I know?
You obviously know how to pick two great Merrills.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:27 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I like the 2009 28 with the Coco, but I'm a DADGAD and CGDGAD player and prefer a softer, darker tone.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion