The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-15-2021, 06:48 AM

Looking forward to this build! Following with interest!

I recently had a fair bit of time with a Greenfield and loved it - it seemed it could do anything, and with incredible poise, and thickness to the trebles. Tonally very much up my street. Unbelievably well balanced too. There was an evenness of response that was truly remarkable and absolutely top notch - with high fretted (even above the 12 fret) open notes matching their open string counterparts for richness and volume in a way I can't recall experiencing with anything else to that same extent. There's a subtlety, as Steve points out, to that quality, but it's not something you come across very often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
I was picking up a Kostal OM when we first met. That was a super instrument but moved on when I got seriously interested in nylon guitars. A pal has it and I'm very much looking forward to playing it again when we are all able.
Looking forward to that day Steve!

We have a fair bit of catching up to do (including with the Bown OMX you commissioned years back, which I'm delighted to be the current custodian of!).

I've been thinking I really ought to part with that Euro/Madrose Kostal OM. Not least as I now have a bit of a glut of mid-sized guitars, including two Braz/spruce instruments. And I ought to slim the herd (have more incoming ...!). I've had a good half decade with it I think now. But then I pick it up and play it and ... Well, it's still very much here!
Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (another due 2022)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists
Old 02-15-2021, 07:55 AM

[QUOTE=steveh;6615896]Hi Joel,

A pal of mine had a G3 (or at least I think it was) in sapele or something similar. I was initially underwhelmed (especially given the cost) but the longer I played it, the more I realised it was a superbly balanced instrument, and very refined; it just didn't SHOUT about how great it was. Ultimately, I came to the conclusion that it was probably the best Greenfield I've played.

I played that at TAMCO Steve, I thought it was exceptional

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop