The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-15-2019, 07:34 PM

If you want to learn how to play, learn 20 songs, play em, listen to the chords when you play. Each time you play you’ll feel where your getting better where you need work. When you own those 20 songs then take a look, don’t worry about model manufacturers and whatever. You’ll hear it but more importantly you’ll feel it in your hands and your fingers. Dude your new only 4 months there’s no rush, one guy said it’s the neck, I agree with that, but if your going to throw thousands at a guitar that’ll peeve you off you will only walk away and loose a lot of cash.

Just learn and compete with yourself
Old 03-15-2019, 07:40 PM

that Yamaha should be all you need for now....just make sure it has a good set up.......
--TC Helicon Voice Live Play GTX
--Audix OM5 Dynamic mic
--Shubb C1 Capo
--Various other "stuff"
Old 03-15-2019, 07:45 PM

I disagree with the advice not to get a higher end guitar at this stage. I was kind of in the same boat as you three years ago. I had bought a Washburn D-10 in the 90s, played it a month or so, but never took lessons and never got beyond learning a few chords. It sat in various closets for twenty years.

Three years ago my wife bought me a month of guitar lessons. I went for three months, playing the Washburn, which was fine. Then I decided to upgrade, and bought a wonderful New Hartford Guild F-30 Std. I have not regretted it for a moment.

The 90s version of the Washburn D-10 is a slightly lesser guitar than your Yammie, as I think it is all laminate. But it is pretty comparable in terms of a learning instrument. I could easily have kept it. It played fine and does not sound bad at all. But getting the Guild, IMO, was a great decision. I smile every time I take it out of the case. It is a better instrument than the Washburn, and I like playing it.

In sum, I believe in getting the nicest guitar you can comfortably afford. It just makes learning a better experience when you have a guitar you really like.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:45 PM

Spend $50 on a good setup for the Yamaha FG830. I love my D-18 but the FG830 is a very nice guitar.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:25 PM

I agree with others too who say that if you have the resources to afford a "higher" quality guitar, then just because you are still learning doesn't mean you should stick with playing a lesser guitar. My first guitar was a Gibson J-50, it was a present from my parents when I was in high school. I had use of a borrowed Yamaha up until then, but having a nice guitar gave me more motivation to play. I sold it too soon, wish I still had it, but it gave me a taste for quality and I always have had one at least that good since.

I do think it will take more time and experience for you to likely find a guitar that will be one you will be satisfied with the rest of your life, your "forever" guitar. At this point, that is unlikely as you are probably not developed enough as a player to know what type of guitar is best for you. So with that in mind, resale value is probably a good feature of any guitar you spend money on now. Of the guitars on your list, the Martins probably have the best resale value. However, if you find an exceptionally good deal on another high end guitar, something below market value for a used model, then that is in effect the same as buying one at market value with high resale value. Just think of it as renting quality to give you motivation and inspiration. Later, as you progress and develop your style and skills, you'll be able to narrow your focus to a model that will work better for you long term.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Do you like your Yamaha? Is there a reason you need to rush into a 2nd guitar? I ask that because you've only been playing 4 months. Just a suggestion but if you spent the next few months playing as many different guitars as you can it might help you determine what you like.

That said, the Larrivee OM-40 is a great guitar. Definitely give it a try.
I agree fully with this. The FG830 plays way better than its price would indicate. When just starting out you really need to get a handle on your playing first. Then go play a TON of guitars to get acclimated to what you really like as your playing develops.

Larrivees are great guitars. My buddy has an OM-03 which sounds great in his hands. I tried it a week ago and my hands just didn't feel comfortable with the neck at all. I think the Larrivee necks will be the most radically different from what you're playing. But as recommended... you have to try to know.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-16-2019 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Corrected quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:37 PM

I would srick with Taylor or Martin for resale. Singers love the Taylor 514 for accompaniment and light strumming. You could resell it if you decide to move on.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:04 PM

From your list, I suggest the 514. I wish I had purchased a guitar like that when I first started out almost 20 years ago.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:27 PM

A couple of old fogies that worked with my wife asked her to teach them some guitar chords when they learned she plays. They both have Taylors, I don't know which model but they each paid about $1,500 for them new, thinking they had really nice guitars (one of them got his when the other bought one, not to be out done). My wife took my old 70's Gibson J-45 over to show them some chord progressions to practice. They both felt very less enthused about their Taylors after hearing how the old Gibson sounded, which is probably worth about what they paid for the Taylors.

Unfortunately, one of those fellows passed away awhile ago. His wife was trying to sell his Taylor on Facebook, last I saw she was asking $800 but I don't know if she got that for it.

If you can compare guitars side by side, it's a good idea to do so before buying, and look at resale value.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:39 AM

Thumbs up

If you can comfortably afford a new guitar then you should go for it. I firmly believe that it will help you in the long run. I've only been playing for 1.25 years and have several nice guitars that I fully enjoy.

You couldn't go wrong with the OM-18, but if you wanted to save a little money and still have a top quality guitar with great sound, go with the Larrivee OM-40.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:20 AM

I really like your whole thought process and keeping open to multiple styles. The fact that all guitars sound good right now is telling. I would suggest something you might rarely hear here in the land of enablers: hold off on the GAS for a while longer.

I would spend some time playing as many guitars as I could get my hands on. Travel to as many stores as you can comfortably reach and play as many as you can.

You reasonably need to determine:
The neck proportions that seem to fit your hand.
Short or long scale?
12 fret or 14 (13)?
Finish? (not important for me, but it is for some)
Wood/Tone?

If you were to ask me for recommendations for a fingerstyle guitar I would say rosewood with 1 3/4 (at least) nut, short scale with tons of sustain. But you might well be served with a completely different guitar.

After you've played a while longer and played a bunch of guitars you will start to have preferences. There are a great many choices.

Alternatively, if you have plenty of money you could buy just about anything, play it for a while and trade it in for the next one. Either way you will eventually arrive at guitar joy.

I would also suggest you never spend more for quality you can't hear. If it sounds good to you it is good for you.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-16-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathan_A View Post
Thank you, everyone for the replies and the recommendations. They all really helped me to realize that I need to slow down and develop my own playing and skills first, that will in return help me find the right guitar(s) in the end.

I think I may be getting a little ahead of myself in wanting to get another guitar right now. As stated in the replies, I think the best idea for me is to try out as many guitars as possible and wait until I have more playing time and have figured out what style of playing I like the most. Playing the guitar is something I see myself pursing for a very long time and would like to invest in a good guitar that will get better over time. This is probably my main motive in getting another guitar. But it is probably better to wait and at least I will have more time to save up and make a better decision.

Thanks again,

Johnathan
A wise decision, Jonathan. All the best with your playing.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:40 AM

Default Need advice on picking out a new guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGWelch View Post
A couple of old fogies that worked with my wife asked her to teach them some guitar chords when they learned she plays. They both have Taylors, I don't know which model but they each paid about $1,500 for them new, thinking they had really nice guitars (one of them got his when the other bought one, not to be out done). My wife took my old 70's Gibson J-45 over to show them some chord progressions to practice. They both felt very less enthused about their Taylors after hearing how the old Gibson sounded, which is probably worth about what they paid for the Taylors.

Unfortunately, one of those fellows passed away awhile ago. His wife was trying to sell his Taylor on Facebook, last I saw she was asking $800 but I don't know if she got that for it.

If you can compare guitars side by side, it's a good idea to do so before buying, and look at resale value.

Sorry but this story doesn’t make much sense. They were comparing brand new 1500 Taylor guitars, which I would assume something in the 200 series considering the price, to a guitar that was over 40 years old. And the way the story is told with a slight hint of glee makes me think this is yet another Taylor slight injected into a pretty mild thread.

To the OP, yes, go try different guitars - as many as you can — but ignore the Taylor haters and get what you think is best for you.

As far as resale value, I don’t get caught up in that minutiae - because then you’re going in already second-guessing yourself
Old 03-16-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
A wise decision, Jonathan. All the best with your playing.

Thank you.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:53 AM

Hey Johnathan, I forgot to say "Welcome to the AGF" earlier. Great to have you here!

The reason many are saying to slow down and play a bunch of guitars is so that you don't make the same mistakes we made when were were younger. There's also a sense of pride to say to your friends "I have a Martin", or "I have a X" but best to know if that's what you really want by playing some of those guitars first.

Good luck with your journey! It's a great one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathan_A View Post
Thank you, everyone for the replies and the recommendations. They all really helped me to realize that I need to slow down and develop my own playing and skills first, that will in return help me find the right guitar(s) in the end.

I think I may be getting a little ahead of myself in wanting to get another guitar right now. As stated in the replies, I think the best idea for me is to try out as many guitars as possible and wait until I have more playing time and have figured out what style of playing I like the most. Playing the guitar is something I see myself pursing for a very long time and would like to invest in a good guitar that will get better over time. This is probably my main motive in getting another guitar. But it is probably better to wait and at least I will have more time to save up and make a better decision.

Thanks again,

Johnathan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
choosing a guitar, finger style, flat picking, new guitar, strumming