The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-25-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPTS View Post
Anyone can def chime in here with any phase experiences/info!!
The number of variables in any transducer/instrument/player/situation combination are already such that compounding the mix with a blend of possibly poorly fitted, badly matched elements would make the result difficult to predict. If it works - great, if it doesn't - don't be surprised.

Trial and error combined with a lot of time and wood glue is probably the best approach with this one.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:02 AM

Default Boomy Low End

Engage the high pass filter on the mixing board or amp and that should take care of it.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

I encounter that problem when I capo at the fourth or fifth fret and hit that seventh fret low B on the sixth. And this happens on all my guitars, not just the boomy Martin. I'm sure there's a scientific explanation regarding string mass and vibrating length, but I simply deal with it when I have to play up there by backing off a bit on the low end of either my PADI or my mixer.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
I encounter that problem when I capo at the fourth or fifth fret and hit that seventh fret low B on the sixth. And this happens on all my guitars, not just the boomy Martin. I'm sure there's a scientific explanation regarding string mass and vibrating length, but I simply deal with it when I have to play up there by backing off a bit on the low end of either my PADI or my mixer.
Sounds like you're on top of this but for others - this sounds like a textbook justification for having a soundhole plug to hand if the pickup configuration allows.

Btw, I don't sell them, I didn't invent them, I just find them a useful lo-tech solution to a hi-tech problem.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Sounds like you're on top of this but for others - this sounds like a textbook justification for having a soundhole plug to hand if the pickup configuration allows.

Btw, I don't sell them, I didn't invent them, I just find them a useful lo-tech solution to a hi-tech problem.
Different mechanism. This phenomenon occurs even on my Godin A6 Ultra, which has a chambered body but no sound hole, so I don’t believe it is feedback driven. Bass players (I’m one of those as well) know that the B at the seventh fret, 4th strings gives you a bit more oomph but less definition than the same note played second fret, 3rd string. Again, a function of string physics rather than body resonance.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:47 AM

I actually use the Black Angel all the time too blended with the K&K UST, so a soundhole plug is out of the question for me. I could run the pure mini with the UST(this would be k&k's powermix pure system) but lately i have been enjoying the combo of the mag sound with the brittle cut provided by the UST.
But the characteristic B note boom being discussed here happens with the Black angel mag pickup as well so the HPF def helps either way. I def take out 200-600hz low mids when eqing the BA as well.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:31 PM

I take your point(s).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
boomy, tone