The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-01-2018, 07:23 AM

Default New Original and I need your input :)

Hi folks,

I wrote a new original solo acoustic song and I need your input:

https://soundcloud.com/simone-dino-b...e-down-below-1

I am also thinking about making a video for this, but I'm kinda unsure. The song is verry special for and it tells a verry personal journey. It may sound silly, because in the end it's only instrumental, but it still feels like exposing an verry intimate part of myselve...yeah, sounds silly

Thank you and I hope you enjoy.

Simone

Last edited by Niljen; 02-01-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:26 AM

Hi Simone,

Great playing and composition. I always look for a melody that gives the listener something to follow and hold onto throughout the song. This piece definitely has that.

My only observation is that it may be a bit long and you've got enough nice parts to make two different songs. I do like the mood and tempo changes so if that is what you are going for you accomplished it by taking the listener along for the ride.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niljen View Post
Hi folks,

I wrote a new original solo acoustic song and I need your input:

https://soundcloud.com/simone-dino-b...ane-down-below

I am also thinking about making a video for this, but I'm kinda unsure. The song is verry special for and it tells a verry personal journey. It may sound silly, because in the end it's only instrumental, but it still feels like exposing an verry intimate part of myselve...yeah, sounds silly

Thank you and I hope you enjoy.

Simone
Great playing, great tone, far above my level. My only thought was that the tempo seems fast, on a couple of the single-note runs in particular. But, an eminently listenable piece that is well-executed IMO. Thanks for posting.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:04 AM

@GTRGUY005
Thank you for your input Yes, the song is sort of long, but i needed it to be that way. Some of the musical themes are "hidden" in the different parts are ment to be a narrative conection. And yes, you totaly got that right, the mood and tempo changes serve a purpose. Thank you again and check out my chanel if I got you interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqW4...cE6QChArBxxoZP

@Paleolith54
Thank you for posting your thoughts. What did you mean when you wrote "fast tempo"? Is it a timing issue or do you mean it is in general a bit fast for your taste?
Old 02-01-2018, 10:29 AM

Nice job, this song gives me vibes similar to 'Endless Road' by Tommy Emmanuel which is one of my favorites.

I find instrumentals often convey just as much or more feelings than a song with words, and can mean different things to different listeners. Pretty cool that you are able to convey yours with your guitar.

I sort of agree with GTRGUY005 in that I almost hear two separate songs here. I think 90%+ fingerstyle songs fall under 5min mark so cutting it down may help. But in the end it's your art and you can do what you want!
Old 02-01-2018, 10:56 AM

@ToTheEar
Thanks for your feedback. In fact this song is also a "sort of" homage to endless road or T. Emmanuel in general. Both songs have simmilar structure and I used almost every tecnique of that song. As to the lengh, I am totaly with you, actually my songs are usually between 3-5 minutes long, with one or two exeptions. Thanks again for your input. Simone
Old 02-01-2018, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Very well done... I enjoyed it.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Nice playing.

Piece is probably too long for the material presented.
Some of the change ups are questionable as far a flow and connection.
A few more tension and release setups would be nice.
Careful not to obscure melody line with too many riffs.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-01-2018, 12:19 PM

@rick-slo
Thank you for your opinion.

Fair enough, though I think that most of your criticism comes more from a "personal taste" perspective. Maybe you could be more specific or name the time mark, so I can respond more precisely.
While I was writing the song I often thought about the length and I thought long about leaving out the second playthrough of the second part. This would have drasticaly shortend the song, but maybe I'll do a radio edit - as if
Aniway, for future songs I will lean towards the "shortening" option.

@Kerbie
Thank you verry much
Old 02-01-2018, 12:46 PM

P.S.

Since there are some users that are not completely happy with the lengh of the song I decided to cut it down by one minute - a complete repetition of the second part.

"Cut" or "no cut" is an argument that I had with myselve while I was writing the Song and now I am sure, that the cut is the right adjustment to be done.

Thank you comunity!
Old 02-01-2018, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
@rick-slo
Thank you for your opinion.

Fair enough, though I think that most of your criticism comes more from a "personal taste" perspective. Maybe you could be more specific or name the time mark, so I can respond more precisely.
Thanks for being open to different points of view.
Transitions points, such as 1:12, 2:13, 3:12, etc. seem disjointed to me. Also I would like to hear the melody line ride on top of the fill in notes more consistently.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-01-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
@GTRGUY005
Thank you for your input Yes, the song is sort of long, but i needed it to be that way. Some of the musical themes are "hidden" in the different parts are ment to be a narrative conection. And yes, you totaly got that right, the mood and tempo changes serve a purpose. Thank you again and check out my chanel if I got you interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqW4...cE6QChArBxxoZP

@Paleolith54
Thank you for posting your thoughts. What did you mean when you wrote "fast tempo"? Is it a timing issue or do you mean it is in general a bit fast for your taste?
Hi. No, not timing, just too fast to my ears. Not the slower interludes, obviously, but the stuff the song starts with and returns to just seems fast to me.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:26 PM

I updated the song and the link - I think it flows better now.
Let me know what you think, maybe you liked the old version better
Old 02-01-2018, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Hi Simone,

Very well done -- Wonderful playing and very enjoyable composition. I certainly hear the strong similarities to Tommy Emmanuel's "Endless Road," some of the similarities are actually quite striking.

Nevertheless, this is a very good piece of work from my viewpoint. Nothing too fast about the song; it's not faster than TE's "Endless Road," that's for certain. Of course not everyone like's Tommy's stuff, but I do.

Thanks for sharing this!

- Glenn
Old 02-01-2018, 06:09 PM

@Glennwillow
Thank you very much for your kind words
You are absolutely right, the song itselve is not just my personal story, but also an homage to the great TE. The structure is almost identic to endless road and I used most of the tecniques. The song is dear to me, because it was my first Tommy Emmanuel song I've ever heard. It seamed impossible to me, that only one guitarist was playing that. It became special to me, because it introduced me to this music - not only Tommys songs.
It is definetly a tribute, but as you said, I was also kean on making it my own.

Thanks a lot again!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Tags
acoustic guitar, instrumental, original compositions, strumming, western