The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-08-2016, 07:57 AM

Default advice on strumming

Hi! I've been worried about my way of strumming: I strum with my fingers, and I always place my thumb on the top string. I've been told many times that it looks strange. I tried to strum in other ways, but it sounds worse and doesn't feel comfortable. Is my way a very wrong one? Will it maybe slow me down too much on fast patterns? I'm left-handed, by the way, but I'm playing a right-handed guitar. I'll be very grateful to hear your opinion. Lara
Old 12-08-2016, 08:03 AM

Ok just know this. There is no "right way" to do anything on a guitar, just different ways. That's what's so great about playing one.
I have always strummed an electric with the back of my fingernails, gives me more control.
As far as acoustics go, try different things just for the sake of experimenting.
At the end of the day, we are all unique and so is playing a guitar.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-08-2016, 08:23 AM

It sounds a bit unorthodox however what matters in playing any instrument is whether you are getting the exact sound you are seeking. If so, rock on. If you record yourself and upon playback you don't like what you hear, modify your technique or get some lessons from an instructor who can guide you in real time. Watch videos and see who, if anyone, is playing the way you are. Also, watch and emulate those who have the sound you seek.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:55 AM

IMO... When it comes to mechanical issues it is always best to have a face to face consultation with a professional teacher. Being lefty and playing a righty guitar (presumably "upside down"), your issue is a bit more complicated. If you're high E string is on the top, then you have a whole different set of issues than those of us who play "normally".

Perhaps there is someone on this forum who plays "upside down" like you and can advise you.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 12-08-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
IMO... When it comes to mechanical issues it is always best to have a face to face consultation with a professional teacher. Being lefty and playing a righty guitar (presumably "upside down"), your issue is a bit more complicated. If you're high E string is on the top, then you have a whole different set of issues than those of us who play "normally".

Perhaps there is someone on this forum who plays "upside down" like you and can advise you.
If you are a lefty who is forced to play their guitar upside down, I suggest you find yourself a left handed guitar for a start.

As far as strumming goes, whatever works for you. (I have forever used a pick but if I didn't then the back of the fingernails is what I would choose to use).

Good luck!
Old 12-08-2016, 07:24 PM

I don't play upside down. I'm lefty, but playing a right-handed guitar normally. I mentioned it to point out that my right hand is weaker, and maybe that's why keeping my thump on the top string feels easier as it gives me more control
Old 12-08-2016, 08:46 PM

Again, if it works for you and you are happy with the way you sound, then I say continue.

Suggest also you have a look at some claw hammer guitar videos on YouTube where it may be possible that your strumming style is not too dissimilar to this style of playing.

Either way, good luck!
Old 12-08-2016, 11:14 PM

^^^^^This^^^^^^

If what you are doing feels natural, then that is likely the best way for you to go. Remember, we are all different and what works for you may not work for someone else and vice versa. It's always good to be looking to advance your skills so it doesn't hurt to look at different ways of doing things. That's how we learn but we need to pick and choose along the way.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:07 AM

I wasted a few hours watching Tommy Emmanuel last night, and, guess what, He often rested his thumb on the top string. I wouldn't sweat it. If it works for you, then keep at it! For strumming, I use a plectrum and if I happen to drop it, I just tend to "pinch" my index finger between Thumb and middle and use it as a pick. That said I do fingerpick my bass in the conventional fashion and I often rest by thumb on the lower string. In fact: Fender actually have a thumb rest on some of their Bass guitars.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:42 AM

Thank you all very much for your advice. I decided to learn to strum with a plectrum as it's a very important skill anyway, and I'll keep on strumming my way when it comes to strumming with fingers. Because you all are right, what matters most is the sound
Old 12-16-2016, 06:14 AM

I'm also a lefty who plays righty and I've never been able to strum to save my life, yet I'm a whizz at fingerpicking. There have been several threads on this subject and an inability to strum appears to be a common phenomenon amongst left-handed players who play right-handed guitars.

However, I'm sure with application and persistence that this can be overcome. Indeed, after 30+ years of fingerpicking, I've decided it's high time for me to learn strumming and while I'm finding it difficult, I am making progress. I use my thumb and forefinger pinched together (as if holding a pick) and strike the strings with the fingernail on the downstroke and the thumbnail on the upstroke.
1998 Takamine PT-508
1983 Ibanez V320
2011 Martin LX1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
strumming