The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guit3090 View Post
Hmmmm- I listened to a couple of recent songs and the sounded about the same, I backed up about 10 monthes and noticed a better sounding guitar. Is that when you were using PBs? Maybe you should experiment with some new strings, your guitar should be sounding better not worse, Most of the time I use Elixir Polywebs on my Alvarez, they came on them so I have stuck with them. I would also suggest Martin SPs 80/20 bronze, Adamas PBs,(these are good). One other suggestion, have you ever thought of having your guitar tech put a bone saddle on your guitar? Nice upgrade, not too expensive. Keep playing, Keep teaching!!
Is Adamas still making strings?
I had fallen in love with them for my 12-string. The 1616's sounded great, and were inexpensive.
My absolute favorite combination.

According to Bob, most guitars go thru a couple "sweetenings". The first one happens at about a year when the finish sets.
The second at five years as the wood matures, another around ten years and twenty years.
I've got a 2006 Alvarez that is coming into its own.

It sounds like you change your strings infrequently.
The aural difference between old strings and new is phenomenal.
Get several completely different string sets.
Try some uncoated strings., try Monel, go one step lighter. Go a step heavier.
Keep the front of the package in the case. Write the date you put them on.

A 210 is a fine guitar. It may have moved out of "the zone" but do try every decently priced set you can.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 11-25-2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
Is Adamas still making strings?
I had fallen in love with them for my 12-string. The 1616's sounded great, and were inexpensive.
My absolute favorite combination.

According to Bob, most guitars go thru a couple "sweetenings". The first one happens at about a year when the finish sets.
The second at five years as the wood matures, another around ten years and twenty years.
I've got a 2006 Alvarez that is coming into its own.

It sounds like you change your strings infrequently.
The aural difference between old strings and new is phenomenal.
Get several completely different string sets.
Try some uncoated strings., try Monel, go one step lighter. Go a step heavier.
Keep the front of the package in the case. Write the date you put them on.

A 210 is a fine guitar. It may have moved out of "the zone" but do try every decently priced set you can.

From the articles I've read on dryness damage, that seems to be the culprit. How long would I want to leave my guitar in its case with a humidifier to get it back to normal?

I mean, dryness would take away from deep tone, no?
Old 11-25-2015, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshei24 View Post
I just feel like the sound is not as full and deep as it was when I bought it. But that might just me my getting use to it. I had a beginner Yamaha before buying the Taylor, so it might have just been the fact that I never really played a solid guitar before.
Maybe you're developing as a musician and your ear is becoming more sophisticated?

Oh heck, just buy a new guitar!
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 11-25-2015, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
Maybe you're developing as a musician and your ear is becoming more sophisticated?

Oh heck, just buy a new guitar!
Yeah, just give up on thousand dollar guitar and shell out four figures on another one. If I come into money soon, I'll probably look at some upper class Martins.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:01 AM
Charter Member

Has humidity changed significantly where your guitar is stored? Eg have you moved to a drier or wetter climate? I've noticed firsthand how humidity changes can drastically affect how a guitar sounds.

Edit: reading the thread, it looks like you've experienced that yourself with the humidifier. So whatever causes the guitar to sound better, keep doing that
Old 11-25-2015, 01:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
From the articles I've read on dryness damage, that seems to be the culprit. How long would I want to leave my guitar in its case with a humidifier to get it back to normal?

I mean, dryness would take away from deep tone, no?
You can get an adequate hygrometer for $10. Get one and try to see what RH levels make your guitar sound good, and maintain those.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
You can get an adequate hygrometer for $10. Get one and try to see what RH levels make your guitar sound good, and maintain those.
Well, I live in NYC so we have all types of weather. I think the sound went off after the first winter here with the guitar, which would make sense. Should I just leave it in the case for a week or so before picking it up again while making sure to keep it around 50% humidity in the case?
Old 11-25-2015, 01:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, I live in NYC so we have all types of weather. I think the sound went off after the first winter here with the guitar, which would make sense. Should I just leave it in the case for a week or so before picking it up again while making sure to keep it around 50% humidity in the case?
That last bit is what you should do always and forever. Store it in its case with a humidifier (I use wet sponges in Rx bottles with holes poked through the cap) and make sure it stays around 45-55% RH, and your guitar will be happy. Keep it away from direct dry heat (E.g. radiators, furnace vents, kitchen ovens, fireplaces) and high moisture levels (E.g. the bathroom where you shower, doors or windows that may let air/moisture in). Basically, if you're comfortable, so is your guitar.

Whether you like the way it sounds when it's at optimal humidity levels is a completely separate question But from the posts in this thread, it sounds like the sonic change you experienced is due to changes in the guitar's humidity levels, so the solution is to change it back to the way it was before. The fastest way to do this is to measure its humidity now and either add or remove until it sounds the way you like (assuming that sound happens when your guitar is humidified safely, as opposed to bone dry or overly humid).
Old 11-25-2015, 02:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, I live in NYC so we have all types of weather. I think the sound went off after the first winter here with the guitar
Assuming you had the heat on (which I guess is right considering how bad the last couple of winters in NYC have been) then the guitar probably got a little drier than optimal. Easy fix with a humidifier, and pretty much zero risk if you follow the instructions.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:06 AM

Well, I find mood and weather affect the way any of my guitars sound to me.

Oddly, me being of a cynical nature, this topic sounds more like a prelude to a bout with GAS. The situation would no doubt resolve itself, with the purchase of a much more expensive model Taylor.

Hey, maybe a 12 this time?
Old 11-25-2015, 02:17 AM

Quote:
That last bit is what you should do always and forever. Store it in its case with a humidifier (I use wet sponges in Rx bottles with holes poked through the cap) and make sure it stays around 45-55% RH, and your guitar will be happy. Keep it away from direct dry heat (E.g. radiators, furnace vents, kitchen ovens, fireplaces) and high moisture levels (E.g. the bathroom where you shower, doors or windows that may let air/moisture in). Basically, if you're comfortable, so is your guitar.

Whether you like the way it sounds when it's at optimal humidity levels is a completely separate question But from the posts in this thread, it sounds like the sonic change you experienced is due to changes in the guitar's humidity levels, so the solution is to change it back to the way it was before. The fastest way to do this is to measure its humidity now and either add or remove until it sounds the way you like (assuming that sound happens when your guitar is humidified safely, as opposed to bone dry or overly humid).
Well, I fell in love with its tone in Guitar Center's humidifier room, so I'm guessing I like it at ideal humidity. How do I measure the guitar's levels? I thought I'd be measuring the levels in the case. How long should I let it sit in my case with the sponge humidifier to get it back to optimality?
Old 11-25-2015, 02:18 AM
Charter Member

There are very few reasons not to, and an infinite number of reasons to, own another guitar.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, I fell in love with its tone in Guitar Center's humidifier room, so I'm guessing I like it at ideal humidity. How do I measure the guitar's levels? I thought I'd be measuring the levels in the case. How long should I let it sit in my case with the sponge humidifier to get it back to optimality?
Stick a hygrometer in the closed case with the guitar in it, and you'll get a reading in an hour or so tops.

How long your guitar will take to dehumidify depends on the RH at your place, how dry the guitar is, and how efficient your humidifier is (how much water it holds and how well it shares with the guitar). It'll likely take a few hours. Try overnight and see what happens. Because it reaches equilibrium, there's no risk to leaving the humidifier in even after the guitar has rehumidified.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Stick a hygrometer in the closed case with the guitar in it, and you'll get a reading in an hour or so tops.

How long your guitar will take to dehumidify depends on the RH at your place, how dry the guitar is, and how efficient your humidifier is (how much water it holds and how well it shares with the guitar). It'll likely take a few hours. Try overnight and see what happens. Because it reaches equilibrium, there's no risk to leaving the humidifier in even after the guitar has rehumidified.
I'm trying to not soak the sponge too much. Overnight could get my guitar back to having no dryness? That quickly? It won't take a few days in the right conditions to get it back to optimality?

And I want to buy a 3/4 guitar, but I need to find time to go to a store and play with a bunch.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm trying to not soak the sponge too much. Overnight could get my guitar back to having no dryness? That quickly? It won't take a few days in the right conditions to get it back to optimality?
Impossible to know until you try. Too many variables.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic guitar, decline in sound quality, taylor, tone