The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-21-2012, 07:35 AM

Smile Dialectic Discussion The Socratic Method. AN Examoned Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Roger,
After going over to the linkedin link you provided, and just reading the first 4 posts, I have to ask you: Why would you indulge in that sort of tripe?

Why would you lower yourself to that point?

Seriously.

It's more about personal insecurities than anything else.

Walk away and be the bigger person.

HE

Howard amongst other things I am a student of Philosophy and discussion is perfectly within my compass. If you know anything of the Socratic method you will realise that my own conduct is perfectly in line with my own interpretation of Epictitus, I assure you my mind is not and has not been hijacked by any invective and I certainly hope I have not indulged in any either.

I really Like Bob Baxendales conversions to vintage Harmonies and I respect his opinion and views I can still do that and disagree it really is a more civilised way of approaching each others realities in a dignified and examined way.

http://baxendaleguitar.com/harmony.html

Last edited by Roger G Lewis; 06-21-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:42 AM

Seems to me poeple like the OP have way to much time on their hands trying to justify what they think. Just play the guitar!! If you spent as much time playing as you do 'analyzing' you would be a much better player. No one really cares IMO except for folks who do not play enough or maybe very well.

2011 57 Reissue Vintage American Stratocaster Lefty
2011 Martin OM28V L
2010 Takamine EG340CH (JUNK)
2013 Seagull S12 Lefty
Old 06-21-2012, 07:55 AM

Smile The unexamined life is not worth living

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheclassics View Post
Seems to me poeple like the OP have way to much time on their hands trying to justify what they think. Just play the guitar!! If you spent as much time playing as you do 'analyzing' you would be a much better player. No one really cares IMO except for folks who do not play enough or maybe very well.
As I have said in a previous post I am developing a Guitar Tone plug in so this is what I do all day and every day. My study of music and the guitar does not suffer. I also do sound engineering therefore helping people to achieve their best recorded and amplified tone is also part of my professional brief. My post is not about a polarised binary and adversarial brow beating, it is merely empirical examination of what produces guitar tones that people like. If i were to work on amplified production for you I would not dream of colouring your tone to my own tastes I would seek to faithfully reproduce how you hear and wish to be heard. This is for me all very useful data, I realise that lots of people like to argue in guitar forums and can be quite hard on each other I Like to follow MAx Ehrmanns wise words in Desiderata,

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be critical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy.

Đ Max Ehrmann 1927
Old 06-21-2012, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Taylor guitars are nice. I love the sound a good Taylor can produce. It doesn't fit my musical style as well as a Martin-like guitar (mostly BG), but they sound wonderful. Stop worrying about other's perception and enjoy playing.

Todd
Old 06-21-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Taylor guitars are nice. I love the sound a good Taylor can produce. It doesn't fit my musical style as well as a Martin-like guitar (mostly BG), but they sound wonderful. Stop worrying about other's perception and enjoy playing.

Todd

See above I do not worry about others perceptions of what I play or like but I am very interested to understand what they like and why? So I can develop my product so it can accomodate each persons unique requirement.

Take your pick of Epictitus quotes here.

http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/13852.Epictetus
Old 06-21-2012, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G Lewis View Post
See above I do not worry about others perceptions of what I play or like but I am very interested to understand what they like and why? So I can develop my product so it can accomodate each persons unique requirement.

Yeah, I think you posted that while I was typing my response. The Taylor is a mellower guitar and the tone is great for folk, rock, and just about anything to be honest. For BG we tend to like a lot of punch, which the Taylor isn't known for. But, when it comes to tone, it has a wonderful and full sound. If not for my BG side, I would probably choose a Taylor over a Martin.

Todd
Old 06-21-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyam View Post
The best, most toneful sounding guitar is the one that sounds best to the player (or listener), not the one that says 'so-and-so' on the headstock.
Interesting point in that statement. I love the sound of my Taylor 414 with 80/20 strings especially playing melody because it has a piano-like tone when played with a thick pick. I almost bought a Larrivee that had a similar tone.

Now after 6 months of playing I find that my listeners who are 10-15 feet away instead of positioned 20 inches above the guitar like me are telling me they like the sound better with phosphor bronze strings.

I have no idea what my playing sounds like 15 feet away. and I've never heard any else play it but I've switched to PB's because they also sound OK to me. How it sounds to the listener is important.

I've tried playing facing walls and glass doors to get a better idea of what it sounds like to others. I'm amazed how much the sound changes simply by holding the guitar differently so the sound hole is in a different position relative to my ear. I notice some players tend to hunch over the guitar (bad for singing) and if you turn you head to look at the fretting hand only the right ear comes into play.

I wonder what kind of bronze strings are used on pianos.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Yeah, I think you posted that while I was typing my response. The Taylor is a mellower guitar and the tone is great for folk, rock, and just about anything to be honest. For BG we tend to like a lot of punch, which the Taylor isn't known for. But, when it comes to tone, it has a wonderful and full sound. If not for my BG side, I would probably choose a Taylor over a Martin.

Todd
I love blue grass for Taylor type tone I have to use my Variax 300 and the model based on a 1967 Martin 0-18, Of course this is only possible in an amplified setting for obvious reasons.

Dangruloh why donīt you put a video camera in a few venues and listen back or get someone into recording to record a gig for you with mics in varios positions heres a bit of a gig I did with our Lilagatu Bandet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY_FfyuVSTI
Old 06-21-2012, 11:16 AM

...hell a garbage can has tone....

But seriously, if you like the sound of Taylors is all that is important. Not my cup-o-tea but Im an old rocker so Im probably tone deaf!...lol!
Old 06-21-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadave View Post
...hell a garbage can has tone....

But seriously, if you like the sound of Taylors is all that is important. Not my cup-o-tea but Im an old rocker so Im probably tone deaf!...lol!

Never a truer word spoken!
Old 06-21-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
[/url]
nit: Epictetus.

As a skeptic you know you set up the thread based on a logical fallacy - the more folks want to frame stereotypes the more they speak to their biases and less to the reality in front of them.

Now, Taylor does seek a distinct "Taylor sound" as part of their brand - but that varies widely across designs and even examples of the same model. I can see where folks prefer the "standard tone" of other brands, but at best that is a tendency or broad impression that is influenced by other factors. If folks stay "in the moment" and pay attention to the sound and feel of the guitar in their hands they are better off vs. stating generalities.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Guest 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyam View Post
The best, most toneful sounding guitar is the one that sounds best to the player (or listener), not the one that says 'so-and-so' on the headstock.
And add this from the B-side: there are more "toneless" players than "toneless" guitars.

Last edited by Guest 429; 06-21-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
nit: Epictetus.

As a skeptic you know you set up the thread based on a logical fallacy - the more folks want to frame stereotypes the more they speak to their biases and less to the reality in front of them.

Now, Taylor does seek a distinct "Taylor sound" as part of their brand - but that varies widely across designs and even examples of the same model. I can see where folks prefer the "standard tone" of other brands, but at best that is a tendency or broad impression that is influenced by other factors. If folks stay "in the moment" and pay attention to the sound and feel of the guitar in their hands they are better off vs. stating generalities.

I felt I was more, Stoically showing the Tone Fly out of the Bottle of Dogmatic tribalism.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
I felt I was more, Stoically showing the Tone Fly out of the Bottle of Dogmatic tribalism.
Hi Wordman,

I thought this conclusion to this article rather apposite.

Skeptical Attack

The skeptics focused their attack on the doctrine of καταληψις. They took issue with the idea that a καταληψις (1) had a distinctive character such that there could not be an identical impression which was nonetheless false AND (2) by arguing that there are false impressions which have the characteristics of CI’s (vividness, etc) such that one could not distinguish it from a CI.

To (1) the Stoics respond that no two things are exactly alike and with training we can learn to distinguish the two objects. To (2), the Stoics can say that even in abnormal situations, we can distinguish between cognitive and noncognitive impressions and, further, it is a mark of deep abnormality if you cannot make such a distinction.

http://platonicrelationship.wordpres...sions-m-frede/
Old 06-21-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:

.................................................. ........................

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
eqīs, frīs, headroom, tone