The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-09-2021, 08:51 AM

Like I wrote before, Sunbeams have round core wire and, if they're not put correctly, just like it'd happen with any string with round core wire, they'll die. That's why I prefer hex core wire strings with lower tension.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 04-09-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
With all due respect, I suspect user error here. If you don't crimp them before you cut them, round core strings unravel and go dead. I have no way to know for sure what you did; but if Sunbeams die immediately, that's usually the reason, so it's at least worth mentioning.

This is the one situation where the Martin stringing method has a definite advantage. Using a locking wrap is the most certain way of obtaining sufficient crimp on a round core string.
Even if this were not user error, seems a little harsh to dismiss a product on one bad experience, especially when it involves so little money.
I would have contacted DR.
I have found string makers to be very hospitable about string replacements.
Patience is a virtue.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-09-2021, 09:34 AM

Regarding my comment on the "dead" low E on my Sunbeams ...

The problem wasn't trimming the strings because I'm one of those guys who do not cut my strings until I have put them on and tested them for a few days. And I ask if I had cut my strings why did only the low E die as the other strings were all fine and sounded, you know, like new strings? Wouldn't all of the wound strings exhibit some semblance of a muted or "dead" sound? In fact the overall response was very jarring as the low E was dull and then the A and other strings would ring out loud and resonate well.

I also don't know how I could have been winding my strings incorrectly as it is the same way I've been doing for at least 50 years. To me it's the standard put the string through the post, wrapping it around and "locking" it and then layering the rest of the string. Is there another method I should have been using?

So being called out for my "user error" I think is not fair.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

Last edited by Ralph124C41; 04-09-2021 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
Regarding my comment on the "dead" low E on my Sunbeams ...

The problem wasn't trimming the strings because I'm one of those guys who do not cut my strings until I have put them on and tested them for a few days. And I ask if I had cut my strings why did only the low E die as the other strings were all fine and sounded, you know, like new strings? Wouldn't all of the wound strings exhibit some semblance of a muted or "dead" sound? In fact the overall response was very jarring as the low E was dull and then the A and other strings would ring out loud and resonate well.

I also don't know how I could have been winding my strings incorrectly as it is the same way I've been doing for at least 50 years. To me it's the standard put the string through the post, wrapping it around and "locking" it and then layering the rest of the string. Is there another method I should have been using?

I would still like to know how many times you had this happen? Was it a one time thing or have you put the strings on several times and still had the dead E string.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:37 PM

Have used Sunbeams often. Really like them. But 13s aren’t close to other brand’s 12s. Marketing hype.

They are a tad softer and a bit more mellow sounding.

Last edited by Hoyt; 04-09-2021 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:10 PM

I just want to know how round core strings sound on that Esteban. As exciting as a late night infomercial I imagine.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERZEY View Post
Sunbeams certainly feel like they are lower then average tension. On my 25.5 scale units 13s are still a bit to stiff for me and I tire pretty fast. On my lower tension units they feel like 12s on a 25.5 inch scale.
Strings wound on a round core tend to feel more flexible and less stiff than those wound on a hex core. But as noted numerous times here and elsewhere there is a dearth of data when it comes to DR Strings and tension.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
Well, I did allow for the possibility that you actually did it right, and the problem was elsewhere. I was just throwing user error out there as a possibility, because that's what it usually is. No offense intended.

Regarding why only the low E died, possibly a) It's because thicker strings bend less sharply when put under tuning tension, and the bend achieved that way was not sharp enough to be a good crimp, or b) You legitimately got one defective string.

If the latter, then the answer to "Why only the E?" is "Why not?" If the set had one defective wound string, the odds of it being the E are one in four; not unlikely.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:53 AM

I have been trying to find mediums that feel lighter/have less tension for a while now. I read about DR Sunbeam mediums here and bought some (lots of great string threads here, btw). They did feel lighter than traditional mediums, they sounded great, and lasted about as long as anything else. I also tried the DR Bluegrass set which I probably liked a bit better, though they were almost too light for me (I tune down a whole step). If I could find a set that was just between the DR mediums and their Bluegrass strings, they'd be about as close to perfect for me as it gets. I realize I am talking a very small difference and I'm not even sure it's possible.

I just bought a nice pile of strings to hopefully find the perfect set. Right now I'm using Ernie Ball 80/20 Silk and Steel mediums and they are very nice, both in feel and sound. I have a few sets by GHS in the queue as well, but I have a feeling I'll be trying out more DRs at some point.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion