The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-23-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G Lewis View Post
Some anaysis I did on a Vintage Aims last Novemeber , I'm not sure how widely available they are in the US but they do sound very nice.

Skip to 5 minutes I am faffing about initially these are really bench notes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLIw2sSGewE
What did you do in that video? All I saw was you opening and closing some programs.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 06-23-2012, 11:02 AM

There are some frequency response curves generated by a Vintage aims which I made some notes on its 30 minutes in real time with some analysis but the hit rate of actual data to the length of the video probably isnīt worth the effort unless you are very into this stuff Iīm afraid its research not entertainment.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G Lewis View Post
There are some frequency response curves generated by a Vintage aims which I made some notes on its 30 minutes in real time with some analysis but the hit rate of actual data to the length of the video probably isnīt worth the effort unless you are very into this stuff Iīm afraid its research not entertainment.
Fair enough, but you need to do a summary video. In science, no one is interested in the grunt work, you present your findings in a summary via a talk or paper.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 06-23-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Fair enough, but you need to do a summary video. In science, no one is interested in the grunt work, you present your findings in a summary via a talk or paper.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the advice, I am just about to upload a screen capture explaining applying EQ to Guitars through logic and showing how it can be used on the Variax models of their acoustic guitars.( the techniques apply to Miced or DIéd Acoustic guitars as well of course.

Whilst I agree with you and most people are not interested in the Grunt work this applies to learning so many things these days I personally feel that praxis is the greatest of teachers and watching the creative process if one can not get access to an environment where the opportunities to take part in actual work exist, then for some, these longer videos may prove useful.

It is so easy to skim through videos and identify the bits which might be of interest so I hope people have the presence of mind to take or leave what ever is presented according to their level of interest.

Thanks for taking the trouble to make a constructive comment.

Best Wishes,

Roger
Old 06-23-2012, 01:19 PM

while I read the frist couple of posts and not all I will just say EVERY GUITAR has TONE!! Just some have great tone while others don`t. Also what people LIKE as tone vaires! and others are TONE DEAF where they can`t hear any difference in a certain brand no matter what the cost or body!
Some have great depth- sustain-balance etc like my 2010 816CE while others that are much more expensive than mine can sound like a rubber band over cardboard( SOME PEOPLE LOVE this tone!)

I have played SEVERAL brands and models and ALL of them have nice sounding ones and crappy sounding ones.( the ones I find crappy some actually might like!)
It`s ALL subjective and play and like what trips YOUR trigger. BTW every time I have played my 2010 816CE in front of other players( most who don`t own a taylor) I always get compliments on how sweet or beautiful it sounds! so there
Old 06-23-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
while I read the frist couple of posts and not all I will just say EVERY GUITAR has TONE!! Just some have great tone while others don`t. Also what people LIKE as tone vaires! and others are TONE DEAF where they can`t hear any difference in a certain brand no matter what the cost or body!
Some have great depth- sustain-balance etc like my 2010 816CE while others that are much more expensive than mine can sound like a rubber band over cardboard( SOME PEOPLE LOVE this tone!)

I have played SEVERAL brands and models and ALL of them have nice sounding ones and crappy sounding ones.( the ones I find crappy some actually might like!)
It`s ALL subjective and play and like what trips YOUR trigger. BTW every time I have played my 2010 816CE in front of other players( most who don`t own a taylor) I always get compliments on how sweet or beautiful it sounds! so there
I agree with you its a subjective personal preference and based on a lot more than we actually hear in some cases as well. Blind wine tastings are a good analogy to how some perceptions can be colored by a reputation or a price tag, Guitars are little different in our conditioned perceptions of the media inflicted peer pressure circus.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:17 AM

Default EQ for tone amplification fidelity. Link now up

The link is now up to the application of EQ to amplify acoustic guitar.
It is a tool that can be used to modify ( improve) change or just to best reflect the natural acoustic sound as faithfiully as possible once you send your guitars voice into a signal chain eq becomes very important so its nice to have some basic knowledge under your belt to better understand how to brief the sound engineer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnMuZifLf9A

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
eqīs, frīs, headroom, tone