The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-19-2021, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

I think those who are asking what the appeal is answered their own questions. The Visenut is incredibly strong, and weighs amazingly little and fits a variety of guitars easily. I actually had a scary experience the first time I used mine - I came home from the gig, pulled the case out of the trunk, and was certain I must have left the gig without putting the guitar in the case! it was just so light, it couldn't possibly have been case+guitar... Fortunately I was wrong. It weighs about the same as my leather gig bag, but is far more protective. With its case cover and strap, it almost feels like a gig bag. if you've lugged a Calton any distance, like thru an airport, you get the appeal of the lighter weight.

If I'm flying and checking a guitar, I usually use a Calton, but I have flown with the Visenut and checked it, and all was fine. As I get more confidence with it, I'll likely use it for any guitar that fits, even when flying.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I think those who are asking what the appeal is answered their own questions. The Visenut is incredibly strong, and weighs amazingly little and fits a variety of guitars easily. I actually had a scary experience the first time I used mine - I came home from the gig, pulled the case out of the trunk, and was certain I must have left the gig without putting the guitar in the case! it was just so light, it couldn't possibly have been case+guitar... Fortunately I was wrong. It weighs about the same as my leather gig bag, but is far more protective. With its case cover and strap, it almost feels like a gig bag. if you've lugged a Calton any distance, like thru an airport, you get the appeal of the lighter weight.

If I'm flying and checking a guitar, I usually use a Calton, but I have flown with the Visenut and checked it, and all was fine. As I get more confidence with it, I'll likely use it for any guitar that fits, even when flying.
I agree 100%, I have 3 or 4 of them and when hauling my guitars from NY to Texas during my last move, I surely appreciated having the Visenut when walking through the airport. Night and day difference in weight and I too have stood on them with no issue. I also like the little velcro strap to loop over the neck near the headstock.
Old 10-20-2021, 01:13 PM

Decided not to comment further...good luck to everyone !

Last edited by xzy; 10-20-2021 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

One more giant fan of Visesnut here, affirming everything Doug and Tom said. I would never want to walk through a big airport with anything but a Visesnut. And, I can affirm that the rubber seal is in fact waterproof, at least for a short period of being dropped in a tributary of the Amazon River. That was an accident, and fortunately I did not witness it directly or surely would have cried. But the guitar was fine!
Old 11-25-2021, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Hoffee cases weigh between 11 and 13 pounds, about the same as Calton. Visesnut cases I’ve had are between 6 1/2 and 7 1/2 pounds. Add my typically 3 3/4 pound guitar and the loaded Visesnut generally weighs less than the empty competition.
My Calton case for a Ryan Nightingale weighs in at a whopping 17 pounds. I wish it was 13 pounds.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:13 PM

Consider:
1) The person who buys such case has guitars way better than average, and equally more expensive.
2) The person who buys such guitars is often older than average. It often takes time to be financially able to do this.
3) Older people have less piss and vinegar, but they are more sensitive to extra weight.

Makes sense to me. ...Oh... I just described myself.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

Last edited by The Bard Rocks; 11-26-2021 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Consider:
1) The person who buys such case has guitars way better than average, and equally more expensive.
2) The person sho buys such gutted if often older than average. It often takes time to be financially able to do this.
3) Older people have less piss and vinegar, but they are more sensitive to extra weight.

Makes sense to me. ...Oh... I just described myself.
Me too, I think. Not sure about 2). Hahaha

I really would like to be able to play when I get where I am going. Best not to stress my arms flying!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 11-26-2021, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Me too, I think. Not sure about 2). Hahaha

I really would like to be able to play when I get where I am going. Best not to stress my arms flying!

Paul
It makes more sense since I corrected the typos. I am the TYPO KNIG!

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-08-2021, 01:05 PM

Check with R.E BRUNE , Luthier
He is/or was a Visenut U.S distributor
Old 12-08-2021, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

I learned a few things reading through this conversation, thanks. I may be in the market for one soon.

Quick question - I read in this thread that a few people use these cases for different guitar sizes. I'll be looking for one to protect dreadnoughts and OMs. Are you using the dreadnought size for multiple size/shape guitars? Thanks.
Old 12-08-2021, 01:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

They have two sizes, OM and Dread with an adjustable strap system inside to customize the fit within limits
Old 12-08-2021, 03:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
They have two sizes, OM and Dread with an adjustable strap system inside to customize the fit within limits
And, two more sizes: Classical and Jumbo. Classical fits 12 fret 00 very well because of the adjustability. Also perfect for my Couch Noodler series. The Jumbo is too big for anything I make. My 16" arch top and/or Penngrove fits nicely in the OM/000 case. Although the higher end painted Premier case look great, the relatively affordable Active series are far more durable. IMO, of course.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop