The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-08-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post

When Seth introduced himself to me Saturday at Tom and Kathi's B.I.G. show he said "hello Doug, I'm inc0herent". I told him, "yeah, you really have to pace yourself when sampling the Texas whiskey offerings at Tom's place or you just might come home with a new guitar". Badda boom! Just kidding, of course, but it was nice to meet you there, and I believe we both came home with new guitars!

Now that is funny right there! I do what I can!

PS. I really like the finish on this guitar. I know it was a process which I can't understand, but it was really worth it. I may need a weekend trip to Dallas?
Old 12-08-2021, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Michel Aboudib MA-D Sapiens I (Fall)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Now that is funny right there! I do what I can!

PS. I really like the finish on this guitar. I know it was a process which I can't understand, but it was really worth it. I may need a weekend trip to Dallas?
Hey Tom, Cheryl and I would love to see you and Kathy if you want to make the trip up this way sometime. I've already had a few local area AGF folks ask for a show and tell.

As far as the humor...it was definitely a "You had to be there" to understand it type of joke...obviously, you were....glad you got a chuckle from it.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Tell Michel well done. The guitar looks fabulous.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 12-08-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Badda boom! Just kidding, of course, but it was nice to meet you there, and I believe we both came home with new guitars!

Thanks for following along this journey with me!
Indeed! Excellent making your acquaintance!

A lot going on behind the scenes on my build with Rebecca that I will be sharing shortly. Cheers!
Old 12-09-2021, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

This came together beautifully! Truly stunning work across the board.

Can't wait to see it in person!

If anyone has ideas for case storage once your kids' closets and under their beds are full I'm all ears.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKeys36 View Post
This pretty much sums it up for me
Old 12-09-2021, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Michel Aboudib MA-D Sapiens I (Fall) - In the House!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Tell Michel well done. The guitar looks fabulous.
Thank you Ryan, I know Michel will especially appreciate that coming from you. The S.E. Asian Ebony guitar you and Steve brought to B.I.G. was stunning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inc0herent View Post
Indeed! Excellent making your acquaintance!

A lot going on behind the scenes on my build with Rebecca that I will be sharing shortly. Cheers!
Thanks Seth, I'm looking forward to watching Rebecca do her magic with your Pink Ivory build.

Here's a pic of Michel hanging out at B.I.G. playing his MA-M Vulcan Guitar and another of Tony McManus demoing that guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKeys36 View Post

Can't wait to see it in person!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
This pretty much sums it up for me
Thank you John of course you're welcome to come see it. A few other local AGF folks requested the same so I'll let y'all know when we can have show and tell.

Martin thank you for your generous comments and for following along.

Aboudib MA-D Sapiens I (Fall) - in the House!

I now have this guitar at home and I have to say that it looks even more beautiful in person than the pictures conveyed.

Cheryl snapped a couple of pictures of my own first look at the guitar out of the box. I think you can tell I'm very pleased with the way it turned out.

I will reserve until later my review and description of the sound of the guitar until I've had the chance to spend some more time playing it. For now I will just say my initial impressions of the sound, playability and workmanship are very positive.

More thoughts soon...

Last edited by doodahdoug; 12-18-2021 at 08:11 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 12-09-2021, 09:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Beautiful guitar—congrats!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 12-13-2021, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Default Wow!

Woo-hoo--looks awesome, Doug!

So let's have a soundclip and your official review, eh?

Hope you're enjoying the heck out of it--I'm sure you are!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 12-13-2021, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Beautiful guitar—congrats!

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Woo-hoo--looks awesome, Doug!

So let's have a soundclip and your official review, eh?

Hope you're enjoying the heck out of it--I'm sure you are!
Thank you Steve and Kevin for the generous comments on this build. I spoke with Michel over the weekend and he was humbled and pleased to read the positive feedback from AGF members to this build thread's first full exposure of his work on the forum.

There was a lot of serendipity leading up to me receiving this guitar. Starting with meeting Michel at Tom and Kathy's B.I.G. music event over Labor Day weekend.

There was an abundance of great guitars at this event and yet by Saturday evening I became fascinated by and drawn to the guitar this fellow "attendee" of the event had brought with him from France. Hearing Tony McManus play that guitar soon led to this commissioned build with Michel.

I really didn't expect that Michel would be able to have the guitar ready in time to bring back with him to the U.S. just after Thanksgiving, but he made that happen.

Michel just wrapped up a very fruitful 2 week visit with Ervin Somogyi and while there, completed the final intonation, setup and voicing of this guitar. It was shipped to me from Oakland by 2 day air and I have been enjoying it for the past 6 days.

Week 1 thoughts on this guitar:

The guitar weighs in at 4lbs. 9oz. according to my reading (and under 12lbs. in the BAM case). I find the asymetrical body quite comfortable to play in my lap and also when using a Neck Up Guitar Support for longer practice sessions. Likewise, the hand carved neck profile is super comfortable for me which is vitally important to how I bond with any guitar.

The tone is modern and rich without being boomy. It doesn't over-emphasize the bass or treble. Rather, the sound is nicely balanced across all frequencies. There is good focused note separation, clarity and articulation. The overtone content is present but dialed down in a good way perhaps some dampening effect of the ebony. The design, fit and finish of the guitar are excellent and distinctively unique to Aboudib.

It has been said that a comfortable, great sounding guitar that inspires you to play more often and strive to play better is a guitar that is a good fit for the player. This one certainly is doing that during the short time that I have had it. It also doesn't hurt one bit that it is beautiful to look at when I put it in the stand.

I would like to thank Michel Aboudib, who was a pleasure to meet in person and to work with on this build. He listened to and implemented suggestions from Cheryl and I on the rosette's size and colors while remaining true to his own vision for the guitar. He has a very bright future in lutherie ahead of him and I wish him the best and look forward to working with him again.

Here are a few last pictures to share taken outside over the weekend:

Since I don't have a recording setup at the house, I will share another video of Antoine Aubry playing this guitar in France (prior to final voicing) recorded by Michel on his iphone.

Thanks for following along with me on this journey!
Old 12-14-2021, 10:05 AM

Congrats Doug, we will get together so I can hear this beauty in person someday. I love everything about this guitar and Michel is really a great guy for sure.
Old 12-15-2021, 06:11 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Congrats Doug. So happy to see this beauty in your hands. Now we both have ebony backed guitars from B.I.G. Looking forward to the day they meet.
Old 12-15-2021, 01:24 PM

I am late to this thread somehow, but let me just say WOW! What a wonderful looking (and sounding) instrument Michael built! The cleanness and precision, along with the amount of handwork, is seriously impressive. Congrats on a wonderful end to a great story. Thanks for sharing it with us all, Doug.
Old 12-16-2021, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Congrats Doug, we will get together so I can hear this beauty in person someday. I love everything about this guitar and Michel is really a great guy for sure.
Thanks Tom, I would love for you to play this guitar and thank you for hosting B.I.G. without which I wouldn't have met Michel and commissioned this guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Congrats Doug. So happy to see this beauty in your hands. Now we both have ebony backed guitars from B.I.G. Looking forward to the day they meet.
Thank you Dennis, did you get the B&W ebony OM that Steve and Ryan brought to B.I.G.? That was one of my favorites from this year's show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
I am late to this thread somehow, but let me just say WOW! What a wonderful looking (and sounding) instrument Michael built! The cleanness and precision, along with the amount of handwork, is seriously impressive. Congrats on a wonderful end to a great story. Thanks for sharing it with us all, Doug.
Thank you Treenewt. The detailed handwork is really remarkable as is the sound, comfort and playability.

I'm glad that sharing this build thread has provided some folks a first look at his talents and unique work.

For more information check out his website.
Old 12-16-2021, 10:22 AM

Wow, that is a stellar build all around, congrats! Pretty cool how he’s planted a foot in both Traugott and Somogyi camps to develop his craft while clearly maintaining his own vision with his finish alchemy, creativity and craftsmanship. Plus agreed, nice and enjoyable fellow! Would love to check this out so…

++ on impromptu Dallas show & tell! One of my BIG regrets is never having a chance to pull down some toys from Tom’s wonderwall! I’m still rehabbing fret hand so I vote spring. :-)
'04 Martin D28
'13 Martin 0-15M Custom Mahogany
Guild F112, Takamine EC132SC, National Delphi, Blueridge BR-371, Tacoma CB105CE, Peavey EVH Special, Hohner G11M, Loar Mandolin, Uke

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop