The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-07-2021, 05:23 PM

Default HX Stomp does everything your preamp does... and more

...convince me I'm wrong.

My only hang up is that an LR Baggs Session would have clearly visible and easily accessible knobs (therefore avoiding any nonsense about tweaking EQ during a gig).

Thoughts?
Old 12-08-2021, 12:37 AM

I agree. My HX Stomp XL does everything, but it is a pain to tweak live. I still think it was the right choice for me.
Old 12-08-2021, 01:54 AM

I like the fact that my Zoom A1Four has three knobs for quick and dirty manual bass, mid and treble adjustments at the gig. Of course, in different modes those knobs are used to adjust more precise EQ functions which can be saved into a patch.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:20 AM

I've gone from an HX Stomp into a QSC CP-8, to a Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb for electric guitar.

Weight and hauling convenience about the same.

TMDR: Knobs, no UI and one great sounding option (volume controls on the guitar for controlling distortion).

HX Stomp: Endless options hidden behind a good, but still complicated UI.

For acoustic, if ToneDexter only had reverb and a compressor. Seems for acoustic their is no avoiding menus and/or multiple pedals.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 12-08-2021, 03:23 PM

On my HX Stomp XL, I auditioned a bunch of body resonance IRs and kept the one I liked the most. The sound is about as good as what I’ve heard on YouTube demos of the Tonedexter. In my case, I am using the model with a Godin Multiac Steel, so there would have been no advantage to trying to capture my own IR since it doesn’t have much sound acoustically.

What is really cool about the Stomp is that you can run two separate signal chains which are as independent as you want them to be. The Multiac Steel is a hybrid acoustic / electric guitar with separate electric and acoustic outs. I have a dual cable and run completely different processing for the acoustic and electric sides. I don’t think any other options let you do this.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

IMO it replaces all preamps and then adds a lot of extra great features - the signal splitting, IRs, effects etc.

I think the only downside to these more compact Helix family tools is 'on the fly' adjusting. If you can get it mighty close on your computer and be comfortable dialing in at the gig. its great.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification