The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases

Old 10-24-2018, 12:25 PM

Default Back from NO: John Hiatt content

Spent a week in the Big easy and Saw John Hiatt at the House of Blues. My first time and not at all familiar with his music. Solo show (2 one hour sets with a break in between) with guitar and piano. While he neither played or sang clean, still a soulful performance with the three hits of his I was familiar with (Thing called love, Rain, Have a little faith me) and apparently a bunch of oldies his rabid fans knew and sang along with. I enjoyed the show, but also discovered his songs are a lot about the lyrics and it was tough to make them out on a first hearing in this venue if you weren't familiar with them (despite third row/front and center seats). He played at least three new songs from his new album "Eclipse" (recorded during the recent solar eclipse in Nashville) and the all sounded excellent in a John Prine, Neil Young kinda way.

Now I know this is a acoustic guitar website, but the best show I saw was free at the Hi Ho Lounge: The Burroughs Band. They play sweaty soul music and it was like James Brown had been reincarnated into a red-headed, white dude with all the moves, splits, spins etc you'd expect. 9 piece band with a 4 piece horn section who were choreographed in their movements and danced with the front man. Bass, Lead guitars, key board, female drummer and vocalist and acoustic guitar and vocalist/front man Johnny Burroughs. Their first national tour and they were tight and are from Greely Colorado. If you like R&B or Soul music they should be a must see. Put a smile on my face for two solid hours !

Wont go into the food beyond: Gustatorily Orgasmic ! Toups Meatery, Peche', Domenica, Nola's, Shaya, Cochon, Cochon the Butcher. Best bites were squid ink pasta at Domenica's, Gumbo at Peche, Lamb neck at Toups, Lamb Shank and FRESH PITA at Shaya, Porkchetta at Cochon, Octopus and lemon tart at Nola's.

Awesome trip !

Peace.

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 10-25-2018, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

New Orleans and pretty much all of south Louisiana = FOOD PARADISE.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 10-26-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
New Orleans and pretty much all of south Louisiana = FOOD PARADISE.
Mostly true for NO, but I had some nasty gumbo at the Creole House and a chile dog tasting bowl of humus with lamb ragu at Shaya so it wasn't all paradise. For me at least, after spending more than twenty five years living below the Mason Dixon line, I would not call all of the south a food paradise. The southern steam bar with fried chicken, chicken fried steak and gravy, greens, taters, beans etc. is so over done and so frequently done with poor quality, it's rarely a paradise meal, but you will be directed to one for sure if you ask a local where the best place to eat is. Don't get me wrong, I've eaten in fine resturants all over the south and had excellent meals in them. I've also been to some really good steam bars. With genuine respect to SpiritBob, I guess I'm just not ready to declare pretty much all of the south a food paradise (yet).

Peace

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 11-23-2018, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

I would have been one of those guys singing along. Love many John Hiatt songs! Seen him a bunch of times. At two of the local shows one of my friends (Jon Shain) opened for him.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:41 PM

John Hiatt is one of those "Americana Hidden Gems."
Prolific song writer, poet and down-to-earth, home-grown and not well known.
I dig the heck out of him.

P.S. All southern food isn't paradise. Some of it is just bulk with lots of grease.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-10-2018, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

..I always love me some John Hiatt...one of my faves...I checked out some Burroughs videos...fun band...reincarnation of James Brown??....not....more like a blend of Michael Jackson and Howdy Doody...not a bad thing...just not The Godfather of Soul...
Old 12-10-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
..I always love me some John Hiatt...one of my faves...I checked out some Burroughs videos...fun band...reincarnation of James Brown??....not....more like a blend of Michael Jackson and Howdy Doody...not a bad thing...just not The Godfather of Soul...
Thanks for your comments and thoughts. It's is hard to have a pasty face irish guy embody James Brown to the fullest, but I've seen video of early James with happy feet and this guy had them and that intensity/output during the show. Not the voice, but the intensity and output was there. James called himself the hardest working man in music, and I've never seen a lead singer expend so much energy live (haven't seen Bruce springsteen or the Stones Live, However). Having said that, I went to enjoy live music in NO and they put a smile on my and my guest faces for two hours. Cover cost $0.00. Not the best soul band out there, but the best show I heard or saw in my week there, from an entertainment perspective. Having enjoyed John Hiatt, I would not pay to see him again. Having really enjoyed the Bouroughs Band, I'd pay what I paid to see John Hiatt to see the Burroughs band again. Just my taste, bad or over- simplified or whatever. They were just plain awesome fun !!! JH was "enjoyable."
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 12-10-2018, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

..lest I be misunderstood..I think the Burroughs are totally cool and pretty darn awesome based on the vids I saw...I don”t make the M.J. association lightly...talk about your happy feet and incredible stage performances combined with deep soul..in the groove vocals....I do get the stage prezence, killer moves, and soulful vocal rendition that young Johnny Borroghs brings...you’re right...not unlike a James Brown show...in any case i’d pay to see them and hope to in the not to distant future...hey you can”t land a gig in NO unless you’re pretty much the ****.....thx for bringing them to my attention

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases