The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-03-2017, 11:27 PM

Any luck on scoring more walnut?
Old 09-03-2017, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdto View Post
Any luck on scoring more walnut?
Oh uh,

I was hoping to order cedar or lutz over walnut next year. I hope they get a stash if they are out!

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Oh uh,

I was hoping to order cedar or lutz over walnut next year. I hope they get a stash if they are out!
I'm sure there's more walnut out there. I just want my NL-00
Old 09-04-2017, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

I wonder what type of cedar Halcyon uses for tops? Anyone?

My SoundCloud page

Old 09-04-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:

Red?
Old 09-07-2017, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The silence is deafening...

My SoundCloud page

Old 09-07-2017, 09:53 PM

Shh....

Old 10-03-2017, 03:15 PM

Default NL-00

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvas View Post
The sound is intriguing. It’s very loud, quite balanced and strong while also being very articulate with no sense of boominess, ‘flabbiness' or confused resonances. I guess maybe a combination of the body depth and the walnut b&s? The mid-range in particular - the D and G strings have very effective voices which I’m pleased with - I’ve often found the G string on small guitars to be somewhat ‘flat’ and difficult to activate with fingers alone!...
I'd like to try to add a few more comments to the above. First this is a new guitar (and all of Ed's guitars will be relatively 'young' I suppose) I'm consciously adjusting my expectations accordingly. While my NL-00 has a very responsive, resonant and clear voice, it also still feels like I'm going to see a fair bit of opening-up and maturation - which I'm really looking forward to. I'm hoping that individual notes - especially in the mids and trebles - will acquire a somewhat fuller quality with time.

At present - while the fundamental tones are beautiful, crystalline and resonant - the additional partials that seem to add up to a really full string tone (as opposed to body resonance etc) feel like they are likely to develop further. Lots of inherent potential that will I guess need lots of playing to develop.

One thing that I am understanding better as my use of the instrument proceeds is the tremendous responsiveness that Ed has achieved - I presume related in part to the Lutz top. The sound is certainly very 'up front' with a high degree of sensitivity to finger tones and overall articulation.

My NL-00 is shaping up as a very satisfying guitar to play and explore composition with. It's an extremely well set-up instrument and is certainly encouraging me to advance and improve my technique. I also have a Larrivee 00-03 (sitka/mahogany) which I am comparing the new guitar with. It has a sweet and woody sound but is heavier than the NL-00 and and feels slightly more restrained. Still a great guitar of course but I certainly feel the NL-00 is a big step forward for me.

Getting my hands on this NL-00 has fired my interest in other possibilities. The NL is an articulate and balanced instrument with sparkling trebles and 'bright' tonal qualities overall. I've asked Ed how he'd achieve a similar mids and treble voices with stronger, deeper and richer finger-style bass notes. He has suggested that his OM or SJ would be the way to go, maybe with EIR b/s. I'm also quite interested in his Advanced Jumbo/Sloped Shoulder designs (not sure what the differences are) - but only because I've played a couple of old and new Gibsons with quite attractive finger-style qualities.

One thing I would like to experiment with on the NL-00 is a slightly heavier gauge set of strings. On the advice of others here I've tried the D'Addario EJ-24 'med-light' set on a 00 guitar which strengthened trebles and reduced some of the 'boxiness' that small guitars seem prone to. Ed seems to generally recommend light gauge only for his guitars but my NL-00 does have tapered rather than scalloped braces which I'm hoping would add a bit of the additional strength required for heavier strings...

I'd be very interested in comments from owners of OM and SJ Halcyons...

Sam.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvas View Post
I'd be very interested in comments from owners of OM and SJ Halcyons...
Just so happens I've got one of each...

I haven't really played a ton of guitars over the years but I've played the usual suspects and also five other Halcyons not including my two.

My OM is Lutz over EIR and my SJ is Lutz over Bubinga. Both have scalloped bracing. I play exclusively fingerstyle with (short) nails and flesh thumb. The OM is a fair bit deeper bodied than a Martin OM and Smokes any Martin or Collings I've ever played for volume and Bass. I've noticed that Ed tends toward deeper bodies than the equivalent Martin design. Both are similar sounding but I would say the SJ has the edge for warmth, response, lushness and sparkle while the OM has the edge on volume and "snap" (crispness?). That's not to say the OM doesn't have those characteristics and vice versa. The Bubinga has more overtone content than the OM.

Every Halcyon I've played has pretty much knocked me over in terms of volume, responsiveness and bass response. Tone is definitely more in the modern, open airy spectrum in the examples I've tried. The opposite of nasally shoebox tone. Even an Adi over Rosewood parlour I got to try was extremely impressive for how loud and full bodied it was. A Lutz over flamed walnut GA takes the win for almost ridiculous volume and bass. More bass than any Martin dread I've tried. Not boomy, muddy bass, but tight rumbling bass that you feel in your chest.

They absolutely get better with age. Both of mine have gotten clearer and a bit louder. The Walnut GA of my friends sounded good new but when I played it again a year or so later it was an absolute beast!
Old 10-07-2017, 06:49 PM

I sure enjoy mine. I asked for walnut and it cam with sap, quite striking. Its #173 but I dont remember when I got it, been a while. I wanted a 00-14 size for couch playing and I am repeatedly surprised at how much sound this little guitar puts out.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

I'm seriously considering orderin next year a cedar over walnut 13 fret slope dread or om for fingerstyle (full scale). Any thoughts on this? I think it might knock my socks off.

My SoundCloud page

Old 10-09-2017, 08:42 PM

It would be a fun project to do a 13 fret dread. OTOH, our SJ was designed from the ground up as a FS guitar...
Old 10-09-2017, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
It would be a fun project to do a 13 fret dread. OTOH, our SJ was designed from the ground up as a FS guitar...
You read my mind. I was just wondering about the SJ, thanks.

My SoundCloud page

Old 10-10-2017, 12:30 AM

Ha ha, no I read your post

I've been steering people to the SJ when they want an OMish sized guitar for FS these days...
Old 10-10-2017, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
Ha ha, no I read your post

I've been steering people to the SJ when they want an OMish sized guitar for FS these days...
Can you post a picture of an SJ with the dimensions? Thanks.

My SoundCloud page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop