The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-04-2015, 02:30 AM

Default Advice for a microphone for both studio recordings and live gigs?

Well, the title says it all. I've acquired a new Martin and I'd like to try something different than the usual k&k plus mic combo. I'd like to try the finest and most difficult (on stage): the mic. I play mostly fingerstyle on a small acoustic hog which has plenty of bass. I'd like to grab that sound.. I know that stereo sets work the best for recording but probably not as well as onstage. I am looking for something with high quality but also without a huge pricetag. Let's say in the 200$ area...
Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 02-04-2015, 05:04 AM

Depending on your monitor situation, background noise and other factors. If you're leaning towrds a condenser, take a look at a used Oktava MC-012. Or in dynamics a Beyerdynamic M201. The 201 has a bit less gain than most dynamics but is a fine sounding mic.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm Williams View Post
Depending on your monitor situation, background noise and other factors. If you're leaning towrds a condenser, take a look at a used Oktava MC-012. Or in dynamics a Beyerdynamic M201. The 201 has a bit less gain than most dynamics but is a fine sounding mic.
Thanks Tomm,
at home I will record on Auria via a focusrite interface. For live gigs, I will plug into a Schertler amp which is standing high 4-5 feet behind me working as a monitor and from its DI to the PA. I can change the logistic as this setup is the one I've been using for transducers and internal mic amplification and monitoring purposes.. However, I would avoid buying extra gear besides the mic itself...
What mic is more able to capture the low frequencies without too boominess, among cardiod or dynamics?

thank you
Old 02-04-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villamarzia View Post
Thanks Tomm,
at home I will record on Auria via a focusrite interface. For live gigs, I will plug into a Schertler amp which is standing high 4-5 feet behind me working as a monitor and from its DI to the PA. I can change the logistic as this setup is the one I've been using for transducers and internal mic amplification and monitoring purposes.. However, I would avoid buying extra gear besides the mic itself...
What mic is more able to capture the low frequencies without too boominess, among cardiod or dynamics?

thank you
Oh I just noticed you're in Italy !! I lived in Vicenza for about 2 years. Your question concerning "boominess" is difficult to answer as there are variables (eq, room, speakers, guitar, personal preference). However if I were forced to pick one of the two I mentioned, I would use the Beyer. To me the 201 is everything the SM57 wishes it was. Being in Europe, I would assume Beyer mics are easily found.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:

thank you
Villamarzia,

Regardless of which mic you buy, the most important factor will be "mic placement". You'll be amazed at the difference a few centimeters or a few degrees can make.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Well, the title says it all. I've acquired a new Martin and I'd like to try something different than the usual k&k plus mic combo. I'd like to try the finest and most difficult (on stage): the mic. I play mostly fingerstyle on a small acoustic hog which has plenty of bass. I'd like to grab that sound.. I know that stereo sets work the best for recording but probably not as well as onstage. I am looking for something with high quality but also without a huge pricetag. Let's say in the 200$ area...
Any ideas? Thanks!
AKG C535 would be my recommendation if phantom power is available. Rode NT3 if not.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 02-04-2015, 05:43 PM

Try and find a used Shure SM81 on Ebay. There's not much you're going to find in that price range, not even used. Currently they go for around 330 euros.

SM81
Old 02-04-2015, 07:37 PM

I set up on a stage to play mandolin once in front of a Shure KSM-137 (i was using IEMs) I was stunned. It exactly as it should be. Ordered one the next day.

I have (modded) Oktava MC-012s but like this better. Also if you chase oktava read up on spotting the counterfeits.

My 2 cents.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:38 PM

+1. 137's a great choice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification