The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-15-2018, 07:17 PM

Default Small body guitar dilemma

Hey All,

I been watching for a small body (00 or so size) inexpensive guitar that I would not be real upset if something happened to it that I can play on couch outside etc.

I think I've narrowed it down to Yamaha apx 600 ae

https://youtu.be/aRzmcMRlVNw

or Takamine all mahogany - like the video below only with a slothead

https://youtu.be/qFmkd0EiqMA

The videos are not a fair comparison one amped one not just showing the guitars.

Both guitars locally are real good acoustically loud and with enough bass not muffled like the last apx 600 I tried. I have not tried either amped yet I suspect both are good. The Tak is $80 more.

Of course the Tak sounds a bit less bright more woody than the apx. I like the sound a lot and am thinking steel strings might add a touch more brightness.

I've two other acoustics a Martin and a Sigma both spruce rosewood so kinda leaning Tak. Both cost over 800 to replace the Martin a lot more. The Tak and apx under 500.

Any words of wisdom on which to choose? Any pitfalls?

-Ed-

from Blaine Larsen's Song "If Merle Would Sing My Song"
Old 12-15-2018, 07:37 PM

Alvarez AP 70 rosewood/spruce. Alvarez Ap66 all mahogany. Both of these are nice 00 size guitars. Good sounding, slotted headstock. Reasonable.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Only that I've played plenty of dreads that were pretty good in the $700 range, and no parlors less than $1200. The smaller the guitar, the better it needs to be IMHO.

I like my Pono parlor witch was a $1200 guitar I got used. I liked the Collings and the SCGC a whole lot more.

Since I got mandolin obsessed, I've learned that smaller needs to be a whole lot better, like double the equivalent guitar.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 12-15-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
Alvarez AP 70 rosewood/spruce. Alvarez Ap66 all mahogany. Both of these are nice 00 size guitars. Good sounding, slotted headstock. Reasonable.
Paddy beat me to it. If you can find an Alvarez AP60 it has a spruce top and mahogany B/S. If you can find a used MP60 or MP70, grab it.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:10 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post

Yes, either of these Alvarez guitars are worth checking out.

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-16-2018, 01:50 PM

Advice:

Don't pay extra for for any electronics in lower priced guitars. Most of the time (in lower priced instruments), they are not the greatest.

In any low priced guitar, assume there will be minor set up work -- like lowering action (sanding saddle) and eliminating fret buzz (minor filing of a couple of frets). If you don't do this yourself, factor in that added cost.

I'm with the Alvarez crowd above. For a lower priced guitar to take out of the house and play (and not worry if something bad will happen to it), I'd first check out Alvarez. (I once had an Alvarez just for this purpose. It had a good sound and served me very well.) And I think all of the current model Alvarez parlors have solid tops.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilNBend View Post
I'm with the Alvarez crowd above. For a lower priced guitar to take out of the house and play (and not worry if something bad will happen to it), I'd first check out Alvarez. (I once had an Alvarez just for this purpose. It had a good sound and served me very well.) And I think all of the current model Alvarez parlors have solid tops.
I have an inexpensive Alvarez AJ60S NAT (Natural), built around 2006. Don't think they make this model anymore, but it's a quality instrument, and not just for the price. Nut is 1 11/16" on a 25.5" scale, about the overall size of a Taylor xx4 Auditorium model. Solid top and laminate body, no electronics. Worth checking out if you see one new or used. And yes, you can play out with it anywhere.

(Not on my list below, but only because I'm out of space.)

Don

06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 12-17-2018, 10:38 PM

Hey All,

I do want to follow thru on this.

I spent some time looking at Alvarez based on your recommendations and I've no doubt they are quality for a really good price.

When I looked for dealers the nearest to me is in Seattle and I've no idea what stock they have. I found none that said on the web they had stock in western Canada (I'm dual US/Canadian and live on Vancouver Island). I'm going to continue to watch for an Alvarez but meanwhile...

One thing - I don't buy guitars sight unseen or played. I have enough experience to know the variation within a brand/model is likely near as big as variation across brands. I've played 2 and 3 thousand dollars guitars I thought were ordinary and plywood cheap guitars that were great - all IMO of course. Of course the likelihood of a high dollar guitar being great is way way higher than a cheap guitar but great cheap guitars are out there you just have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince and that is why I try before I buy always. I don't like asking a store to bring in a guitar just for me to say no. Then the question is how many tries do I get?

That said the first apx 600 I tried was so muffled the sound straining to get out, the second was way better and the third really very very good. The Tak was just plain good even though plywood just like the yamahas. This was all acoustic. Through a fishman loudbox mini the Yamaha sound great which I expected and the Tak even a bit better. I don't agree that all inexpensive guitars have krap electronics. I expect Ill have a Tak under the tree next week but I won't forget the Alvarez - you all have me curious. Should I thank you or curse you? :-)

Now if Santa was really great I'd get the TV Jones T-Armonds (Dynasonic style pickups) I want for my Gretsch 5420. But birthday in a couple months is more likely.

So thank you all - I did want to follow through.

-Ed-

from Blaine Larsen's Song "If Merle Would Sing My Song"
Old 12-17-2018, 10:46 PM

I found that I am far more sensitive to saddle string spacing than string spacing at the nut. A 1-3/4" Alvarez nut spacing might have a narrow 2-1/8" saddle spacing.
Ibanez 1-11/16" nut could have a 2-3/16 string spacing at the saddle. Just food for thought.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxer View Post
I found that I am far more sensitive to saddle string spacing than string spacing at the nut. A 1-3/4" Alvarez nut spacing might have a narrow 2-1/8" saddle spacing.
Ibanez 1-11/16" nut could have a 2-3/16 string spacing at the saddle. Just food for thought.
Yes, that was my experience with Alvarez, too. Liked the sound, but too cramped string spacing at the saddle. Not as much of a problem if you are simply a strummer. But if you play fingerstyle at all....

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion