The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-15-2018, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD: Emerald X20 12 String Woody

Well new to me anyway!

Some of you (oh who am I kidding, probably all of you) had probably seen this baby on reverb as it was on there for a few months. The asking price was pretty high but as a like new instrument I can understand the guy wanting to get as much of his investment back as possible.

I watched it for a quite a while and in the meantime I bought an older X10 12 string a few months ago with a Bubinga woody top. It's a really nice guitar as well but I will say having owned a good many Emeralds that the build/finish quality have gotten a good bit better in recent years. Plus I missed the bigger voice of the X20. The X10 is a good couch sized guitar and is really nice but this new one is just incredible.

Don't be shocked to see the X10 on the market at some point.

I used to own an X20 12 string that I sold once I got an Chimera thinking it would kill two birds with it's 6 & 12 string necks. Well it did that but I found it not all the comfy to play sitting which I almost always do so it went away pretty quick to a new happy home.

So I set out on a quest to get into another X20 12 string and was ready to place an order when I started to inquire about this one. I started to see his price go down a great deal around Thanksgiving and was also now taking offers.

After a lot of back & forth and finding out as much as I could about Fan Fret guitars as I'd never even seen one in person let alone play one. He made me a great price deal as well as giving me a 7 day trial period. He said if you had a blindfold on you would not really feel a difference as least with the amount of fanning on this neck. He was correct. I took to it very quick and it's super comfy to play. It also helped that he had it setup really well.

I'm not about to stand up and say "Fan Frets are the only way to go" But being I tune my 12's down a step to D there is something to the way the slightly longer scale increases the punch of the lower strings to my ear.

I'm super happy with it. I did not really buy it to gig with but I can see myself taking it out at some point as the Baggs Anthem sounds really nice!

This guitar came to me in like new condition with the Coffe Mug that had never even been opened so it was just like getting it fresh from the factory. I saved myself some serious dough and wait time as well.

It's not always a win buying like this but this beauty was a big win for me!

sjtzcphvaju5u0kouusw.jpg

e2m5wnaiow2wsbfmiovs.jpg
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 12-15-2018, 03:26 PM

Nice beautacious buy you got there!!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-15-2018, 03:46 PM

Default NGD: Emerald X20 12 String Woody

Emerald makes some of the most beautiful guitars on this planet. Even aliens were checking them out a few weeks ago! Great tone, easy to play and great ergonomics what more could you ask for?
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 12-15-2018, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

It is gorgeous, congratulations!
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 12-15-2018, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful - congratulations!

-Ray
Old 12-15-2018, 04:45 PM

Congratulations on the guitar. One thing thing though I noticed you said it came with the baggs anthem but I see a barn door style preamp, must be the baggs stagepro anthem. Was just curious cause Emerald stopped installing barn door style preamps, unless of course the buyer requested one.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Congratulations on the guitar. One thing thing though I noticed you said it came with the baggs anthem but I see a barn door style preamp, must be the baggs stagepro anthem. Was just curious cause Emerald stopped installing barn door style preamps, unless of course the buyer requested one.

This guitar was built in the fall of 2017 from what he told me. He ordered it with the Stagepro Anthem which from what I can tell gives you the barndoor controls access to the Anthem pickup system.

You don't see these very often I know but I'm sure they will install this system if requested.

bcefwevlknu4ypsdhvqx.jpg
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 12-15-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderman57 View Post
This guitar was built in the fall of 2017 from what he told me. He ordered it with the Stagepro Anthem which from what I can tell gives you the barndoor controls access to the Anthem pickup system.

You don't see these very often I know but I'm sure they will install this system if requested.

Attachment 16515
Yeah right on. I just recently put in an order for a custom X20 woody...now you're making me GAS for a 12 string. Sometimes I think I should stay in bed all day asleep I'm less dangerous that way.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Yeah right on. I just recently put in an order for a custom X20 woody...now you're making me GAS for a 12 string. Sometimes I think I should stay in bed all day asleep I'm less dangerous that way.
I hear what you are saying but that would get pretty boring quick, but much easier on the bank account!

I love my Cocobolo X20. It's in my hands every day at some point and it sure looks great sitting in the stand.

I hope yours does not take too long.
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 12-15-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderman57 View Post
I hear what you are saying but that would get pretty boring quick, but much easier on the bank account!

I love my Cocobolo X20. It's in my hands every day at some point and it sure looks great sitting in the stand.

I hope yours does not take too long.
The wait won't be as bad this time as I have the X30 to keep me occupied!
Old 12-15-2018, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

That's rather lovely. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I'm beginning to think that these quilted maple tops might actually be my favourites out of all of them.

Time will make a liar of me, I'm sure, but I still can't get my head around paying the upcharge for what is essentially just cosmetic.

On the other hand, I see folks in the non-CF world oohing and aahing over wood sets for their nth custom build, and most of those decisions are being based on cosmetics alone (or imagined sonic benefits, but that's another discussion altogether).

I'll come around one day. In the meantime, show me the weave - why hide it?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-15-2018, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post

Time will make a liar of me, I'm sure, but I still can't get my head around paying the upcharge for what is essentially just cosmetic.

On the other hand, I see folks in the non-CF world oohing and aahing over wood sets for their nth custom build, and most of those decisions are being based on cosmetics alone (or imagined sonic benefits, but that's another discussion altogether).

I'll come around one day. In the meantime, show me the weave - why hide it?
In the spirit of the season, I look forward to the time when those with veneers and those with CF weave can all hold hands and sing in harmony and there will be peace in the CF world. I'm kidding of course - how are we going to play these guitars if we're holding hands??

For the record, the louro preto veneer on my X20 still makes me smile, for a small cost per day that continues to decrease the longer I have it. But to tie this to Evan's new incoming veneer, it was that beautiful red custom X10 he had made a couple years ago that got me thinking about that color and size.

Yeah, the weave (in red) is nice, too.

Oh, and congrats, Benderman, on that iridescent-looking veneer - beautiful! For the record, I like that barndoor Anthem.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 12-15-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:56 PM

I grew up on a farm with several said doors around so I am used to them.... and don't mind them.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-15-2018, 07:30 PM
Guest 928

What everyone has said, except Kramster--raised on a farm, no wonder he looks for doors. Likes those ship visuals, too--must have lived near water. Does a lot of outer space stuff--always looking up.

He does know about beautiful guitars. The guitar of this thread is truly beautiful. Most of us on this forum have one (or 15) of those. We are blessed,
Old 12-15-2018, 07:43 PM

Congrats on the "get" Benderman. The degree of fan looks fairly mild compared to some, and I can see how the extra string length would help when tuned down.

My green X20-12 has a custom short 24.6" scale and lives tuned up to standard E-e with a 47-10 light gauge twelve-string set. That makes it a real sweetheart to play. Right now it is wearing EJ-38's but the next string change will change to Elixirs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber