The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-14-2018, 04:53 PM

Default Best Line Array PA System for under $1K?

Has anyone tried the Turbo Sound IP2000 ? .

Edit:
For $1,299.00 you can get into RCF EVOX JMIX8. 8 channels digital mixer with FX built in.

Last edited by GTR1960; 12-14-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I agree the Bose has lots of fans. But are most folks adding an additional mixer or some other way of getting reverb or effects into the mix?
When I bought the L1C 8 years ago, I put a TC Helicon Gxt with it, for reverb and vocal harmonies. These days, I use a TCH Play Acoustic with the L1C and S1.

If I played rowdy bars (gave that up about 30 years ago), I'd consider something different, but for playing for groups (attentive) of up to 150 or so (corporate happy hour or after dinner), this set up is great; fills the room without blasting.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:10 PM

I have the Bose L1C and I like it a lot..I added a Zed Heath mixer and have all I need..I heard the Turbo Sound and is not bad, but I chose Bose.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:34 PM

I like & own the JBL Eon 1 first gen. Lots of power in the bass & treble. 1 stop shopping / the array columns fit in the back of the unit. You can get a rolling carry bag for it too. Well under a grand.

I've also recently acquired a Harbinger MLS 900, which is a great little array system. It has angled drivers like the Bose L1C has. Plenty of power & very good mids due to its 2.75" drivers. I have a full review of it vs the Eon 1 here so check that out too.

So many choices. Check out others who have reviewed of the system's you're considering & then test it in person with your own guitars. By the way, the 20% G.C. discount is called the "friends & family" coupon. You really have to be 'in' with the sales folks to get that if you don't have a family member working there. You can't just say the magic words & expect them to give it to you. I use that 'special' coupon occasionally & mostly on big ticket items where I can save the bucks and I've been buying things at my local store for over 10 years.

Alvarez ABT60 Bari Nat/ABT60E Rust-burst
Cordoba Flamenco GK Studio Zircote
D'Angelico Lexington Dred
Ibanez AC240 OM hog
2x Martin DSR Dred rosewood
Martin DSM Dred hog
Martin full Ovangkol Dred
Martin D-35 (2019)
Yamaha A5M Jap Cust Shop Dred
Yamaha A3M Dred
Yamaha A4K full Koa Dred
Bose S1 Pro
JBL Eon 1 original (2 each)

Objects in the future are closer then they appear.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowKnows View Post
By the way, the 20% G.C. discount is called the "friends & family" coupon. You really have to be 'in' with the sales folks to get that if you don't have a family member working there. You can't just say the magic words & expect them to give it to you. I use that 'special' coupon occasionally & mostly on big ticket items where I can save the bucks and I've been buying things at my local store for over 10 years.
Haha. I know what it's called, we just affectionately refer to it as the homie hookup. I have a few friends that manage and work there. All I do is ask if anybody isn't using their coupon. I've even had a friend track down a coupon for me from another employee that wasn't going to use his. He gave me one for my J45 and one when I ordered PA speakers last. I don't abuse it. I get %15 coupons in my email all the time for other stuff.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
Haha. I know what it's called, we just affectionately refer to it as the homie hookup. I have a few friends that manage and work there. All I do is ask if anybody isn't using their coupon. I've even had a friend track down a coupon for me from another employee that wasn't going to use his. He gave me one for my J45 and one when I ordered PA speakers last. I don't abuse it. I get %15 coupons in my email all the time for other stuff.
So right you are about 'the' coupon. I had no idea it existed until one day I was complaining to a store manager about the price of this Martin, that it never went on sale. That's when he told me about the 'secret' FnF coupon. Always good to have that option in your back pocket.

Another thing to check daily is the M.F. Stupid Deal of the Day. Most of the time it's VERY stupid. But occasionally you get screaming deals on less popular Martin's, Gibson & Taylor models.

Alvarez ABT60 Bari Nat/ABT60E Rust-burst
Cordoba Flamenco GK Studio Zircote
D'Angelico Lexington Dred
Ibanez AC240 OM hog
2x Martin DSR Dred rosewood
Martin DSM Dred hog
Martin full Ovangkol Dred
Martin D-35 (2019)
Yamaha A5M Jap Cust Shop Dred
Yamaha A3M Dred
Yamaha A4K full Koa Dred
Bose S1 Pro
JBL Eon 1 original (2 each)

Objects in the future are closer then they appear.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
In my opinion, a small format mixer with mid sweeps (Allen & Heath Zed or Soundcraft EFX8) and a single decent powered 10" 2-Way (Line 6 L2M / L2T, QSC K10 / 10.2, Yamaha DBR10 / DXR10, RCF, etc.) gets the job done with a far more powerful EQ section, better pre's, and better FX for far less money.
Wholeheartedly agree. And I say this as someone who would love one of these compact column array systems for the convenience. IMO, the dollar to value ratio just isn't there. I've owned a Fishman Soloamp and it was okay but only in the smallest and quietest of spaces. I just heard an act this weekend using one and it fell short. Likewise on the Bose Compact. I've heard countless acts using them and there's just something very hollow sounding about them - they also don't have enough power to cut it in a moderately noisy pub.

Even the new QSC CP8 or CP12 would have far more flexibility. You could even get two of them and have even more flexibility for larger spaces or for monitoring yourself.

I'm not one of those column array basher/haters. As I said, I would love one, but for our duo/trio it wouldn't work.

All of that being said, I've heard good things about the Turbosound systems

Last edited by geewhiz; 12-16-2018 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:27 AM

Among a lot of other stuff I've acquired over the years, I own and use both the Fishman SA330 and a pair of QSC K10.2 speakers and a nice mixer. I also use a TC Helicon Play Acoustic. While it's not a whole lot more to set up and tear down with the QSCs and my USS speaker stands, the Fishman in the Deluxe carry bag is just quicker and easier. It sounds great and I can plug a mixer into the back if I play with others. Of course it won't cover every venue I play, that's where the QSCs come in. I have found that for my solo indoor gigs, the Fishman almost always covers the places I play. For bigger or outdoor gigs I have the QSCs. One QSC on a stand will be a little more power than the Fishman, two QSCs seems to cover anything I've needed, where I bring my own gear. I guess it just comes down to the right tool for the right job in your own unique situation.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
Wholeheartedly agree. And I say this as someone who would love one of these compact column array systems for the convenience. IMO, the dollar to value ratio just isn't there. I've owned a Fishman Soloamp and it was okay but only in the smallest and quietest of spaces. I just heard an act this weekend using one and it fell short. Likewise on the Bose Compact. I've heard countless acts using them and there's just something very hollow sounding about them - they also don't have enough power to cut it in a moderately noisy pub.

Even the new QSC CP8 or CP12 would have far more flexibility. You could even get two of them and have even more flexibility for larger spaces or for monitoring yourself.

I'm not one of those column array basher/haters. As I said, I would love one, but for our duo/trio it wouldn't work.

All of that being said, I've heard good things about the Turbosound systems
I played through an RCF Evox and RCF Evox 12 and liked them better than the other offerings by a large margin. That said, a small format mixer and a powered speaker or two isn't that much more complicated than the column arrays and a good mixer adds a lot more flexibility to your sound.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR1960 View Post
Has anyone tried the Turbo Sound IP2000 ? .

Edit:
For $1,299.00 you can get into RCF EVOX JMIX8. 8 channels digital mixer with FX built in.
Yes and they are great sounding, but the sub on the IP2000 is bigger and heavier than I ever want or need for acoustic music. I use a Turbosound IP1000 and it is fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaurman View Post
Among a lot of other stuff I've acquired over the years, I own and use both the Fishman SA330 and a pair of QSC K10.2 speakers and a nice mixer. I also use a TC Helicon Play Acoustic. While it's not a whole lot more to set up and tear down with the QSCs and my USS speaker stands, the Fishman in the Deluxe carry bag is just quicker and easier. It sounds great and I can plug a mixer into the back if I play with others. Of course it won't cover every venue I play, that's where the QSCs come in. I have found that for my solo indoor gigs, the Fishman almost always covers the places I play. For bigger or outdoor gigs I have the QSCs. One QSC on a stand will be a little more power than the Fishman, two QSCs seems to cover anything I've needed, where I bring my own gear. I guess it just comes down to the right tool for the right job in your own unique situation.
I also find the ease of carry, set up and tear down to be vastly more user friendly for a one trip load in. Additionally I find the Column array solutions disperse very widely and I don't need any personal monitoring ...and typically the sound near me as the performer is very similar to the sound the audience is hearing. As mentioned, I can always run a line out to an extra powered speaker if I need more anywhere else.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification