The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Neil,
Have you given YouTube TV a look? It has local channels in my area as well as most of what Spectrum gouged me on monthly. It cut my bill by fifty a month.

No cable boxes. With a smart tv, you’re good to go.
I'm aware of it, but I'd rather subscribe to something with better quality original content. YouTube seems to be targeted toward Gen Z. I could still get the local channels for free with a VHF antenna like my mom does lol!
Old 12-07-2021, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Neil,
Have you given YouTube TV a look? It has local channels in my area as well as most of what Spectrum gouged me on monthly. It cut my bill by fifty a month.

No cable boxes. With a smart tv, you’re good to go.
Plus the unlimited DVR, so you're never stuck watching live TV. Slightly off topic, but one advantage of streaming is no contracts, so you can drop TV or a subscription service for a month and then pick it right back up. Currently, we have YouTube TV, HBO Max, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Disney+ (for this month to see The Beatles doc). More than I really need, but within budget. I'll add Hulu for a month soon to catch up on their shows.
Old 12-07-2021, 05:53 PM

Ted Lasso on Apple. Sweet, funny, original. Going too fast.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Default This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Plus the unlimited DVR, so you're never stuck watching live TV. Slightly off topic, but one advantage of streaming is no contracts, so you can drop TV or a subscription service for a month and then pick it right back up. Currently, we have YouTube TV, HBO Max, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Disney+ (for this month to see The Beatles doc). More than I really need, but within budget. I'll add Hulu for a month soon to catch up on their shows.
I think the DVR is another YouTube TV strong point. You and I are Disney Plus for the same reason. But while you’re there, watch “Soul.”

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 12-08-2021, 02:16 PM

Homeland Season 8. It's on Netflix now so I started watching it a few nights ago. Any fans?

Blacklist - I finished Season 8 on Netflix. The season had its ups and downs but the last few episodes were good. Episode 21 gave a lot of answers to questions that were asked by Keen throughout the entire series. No spoilers.
Old 12-08-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Blacklist - I finished Season 8 on Netflix. The season had its ups and downs but the last few episodes were good. Episode 21 gave a lot of answers to questions that were asked by Keen throughout the entire series. No spoilers.
If you're smart you'll stop there....like the producers should have. Season 9 is a disaster.
Old 12-08-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
If you're smart you'll stop there....like the producers should have. Season 9 is a disaster.
That's a shame that the Blacklist season 9 turned out to be a disaster. The first 7 years were great though, season 8 ok.
Old 12-08-2021, 03:25 PM

'Tis the season for top-tier movies, so I've caught The Power of the Dog, The Rescue, The Card Counter, and No Time To Die, and am really looking forward to Licorice Pizza, Drive My Car, West Side Story, and Spencer.

As for TV, I'm still getting through The Beatles: Get Back, and just can barely wait for the Succession season finale.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm612 View Post
'Tis the season for top-tier movies, so I've caught The Power of the Dog, The Rescue, The Card Counter, and No Time To Die, and am really looking forward to Licorice Pizza, Drive My Car, West Side Story, and Spencer.

As for TV, I'm still getting through The Beatles: Get Back, and just can barely wait for the Succession season finale.
I’m anticipating some of those on your list, particularly Licorice Pizza and Drive My Car.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 12-08-2021, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
I'm aware of it, but I'd rather subscribe to something with better quality original content. YouTube seems to be targeted toward Gen Z. I could still get the local channels for free with a VHF antenna like my mom does lol!
I'm not sure I understand–YouTube.tv is just like cable. It has all the local channels. Not sure how it's targeted at Gen Z? I mean if that's not what you're looking for, great, but I'm wondering what you mean by this. Gen X here...
Old 12-08-2021, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Amen to that. VERY disappointing to see a clever imaginative show with brilliant writing slip into something I wanted to reach in and slap the producers. Yuck.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 12-09-2021, 10:54 AM

We watched "Joe Bell" on Prime last night.
We both liked it.
Based on a true story.
Old 12-09-2021, 03:11 PM

Family Guy, season 18 on Netflix.
Old 12-10-2021, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Landscapers on HBO Starring Olivia Colman and David Thewlis is worth checking out. In this series a seemingly ordinary British couple become the focus of an extraordinary investigation when two dead bodies are discovered in the back garden of a house in Nottingham, England. Based on real events. They have only released episode 1 of 4 so far, but that one was great imo.
Old 12-11-2021, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think the DVR is another YouTube TV strong point. You and I are Disney Plus for the same reason. But while you’re there, watch “Soul.”
Ooh, thanks for the tip. I keep forgetting to look for new / recent release movies on my apps. A couple of months ago, I was about to look for a movie theater to see "The Many Saints Of Newark," when I realized it was streaming on HBO Max (duh!). I'll definitely check out "Soul," and we've been watching "Hamilton" again, which is always great (saw it twice via their touring Broadway series this year).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic