The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-05-2009, 12:00 PM

Default I tripped on the Wire.. and My guitar fell...

Ok... maybe its not as bad as it sounds... but its my first i've done something this stupid... So I was doing worship just 30mins ago, with My Taylor WHCM plugged in with 2 of my buds and as I set it down on the stand and walk off the stage... I tripped. As I felt something on my foot walking down the stage, I quickly turned to see the body hit the carpet floor and I dove my hands just in time to catch the neck. Quite Epic. Anyone else wanna share their first dammit situations?
Old 04-05-2009, 01:55 PM

Last year the neck on my Ibanez AF snapped spontaneously when I picked it up to play.
Not a nice experience, having a 4 week old (to the day) guitar come apart in your hands.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:32 PM

Several years ago I loaned my Ibanez to one of my students to play at church. It was the first guitar I had spent, what was to me, a good deal of money on. He used it and left it on the stand on stage. Later that night he and two other high school boys started tossing a tennis ball around. Now I have not had the pleasure of raising teenagers yet (I have a 3.5 year old and two that are 16 months), but I should have known this would happen. It doesn't take long for a game of toss to turn into a game of "let's see how hard we can whip the ball at each other". Well the first uncaught throw sailed passed the inended catcher, towards the stage and "CRACK" right into the front of my guitar. I ran over, picked it up and strummed...sounded funny...looked inside and both arms of the x-brace on the top were split. What a shot! The boy was sufficciently apologetic (and really a nice kid) and on the upside...I finally convinced my wife I needed that new guitar. Say hello to my first Taylor...thanks kid

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 04-05-2009, 03:48 PM

I always take off my strap and unplug every single time I am done with a set. FOR THIS VERY REASON
Old 04-05-2009, 04:31 PM

As a young undergraduate I came home well-oiled one evening and partook of a little experiment viz. to see if I could remove the neck of my Kay acoustic with my head. Unfortunately, it turned out I could ...
Old 04-05-2009, 06:37 PM
zeebee

Coulda been a lot worse...God works in mysterious ways...
Old 04-05-2009, 06:41 PM

Any situation like this (and over 40 + years there've been a few) involves language that few hear in church.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:05 PM

It happens. It's going to happen again. Pick it up and play some more.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:50 PM

Default oops

There was a time where I was leading praise for a praise night affiliated with my school's Christian Club, and I snapped the G string while strumming quite mildly. The praise night was about to start in an hour or two so I had to rush to the nearest Guitar Center to pick up a pack of elixers because my backup set was (surprisingly...) missing the G string. We were in the cafeteria of my high school and I put it down on a chair (since we were lacking stands), running out of the cafeteria when all of a sudden, I felt a slight tug on my right leg and hear my Taylor 314ce crash to the ground. Might I add that the ground was made up of tile. I died a little bit inside while exclaiming a word that shouldn't be exclaimed in church, but LUCKILY, there was absolutely no damage. At least I don't think there was...

It was like, two or three years ago and it still plays fine. PHEW!!!

Philippians 3:7-8

2002 Taylor 314ce w/Fishman Prefix Plus (the beater)
2007 Taylor Custom GS (Engelmann/Indian Rosewood) w/L.R. Baggs iBeam Active
Old 04-05-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
Any situation like this (and over 40 + years there've been a few) involves language that few hear in church.
I'm sure the proprietor does hear...
Old 04-05-2009, 10:30 PM

Unhappy

I had a nice Sako .308 with a walnut stock a few years ago. One day I fell down a slip and after I picked myself up I noticed a hairline crack through the pistol grip. I gave it a twist and it snapped clean in half!!

Rosco
Martin GPCPA2
Old 04-06-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwenting View Post
Last year the neck on my Ibanez AF snapped spontaneously when I picked it up to play.
Not a nice experience, having a 4 week old (to the day) guitar come apart in your hands.
O.o do guitars really snap just right out of the blue without impact?
Old 04-06-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwenting View Post
I'm sure the proprietor does hear...
"Dammit" may sound rude, but I'm sure its clean
Old 04-06-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira View Post
O.o do guitars really snap just right out of the blue without impact?
they can. Of course the most likely reason is that there had been a weakness in the wood of some sort that over time and under stress from the strings became a crack.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion