The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-28-2018, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Default an interesting learning realization

I've been playing pop/rock as a hobby for my while life.

About a year ago I got serious about challenging myself to learn favorite songs that I thought were "out of my reach"

At the same time, this would teach me new techniques.

I took up several classical pieces first. My method is to study a section or phrase until I have it down, then add the next phrase or piece to it.

Sometimes I would focus on just the new passage.

This worked well for me (and that's just for me).

I've recently taken on a very tricky fingerstyle piece (tricky bass drone and thumb independence).

Well, I was doing the same thing and had a phrase that has tripped me up so I would not move on to the next.

I decided to add the next phrase and suddenly could play the first one better.

I then realized - I had to have an entrance AND an exit from the phrase to learn it properly.

My mistake had been attempting the phrase and then stopping like a brick wall at the end and repeating it.

It was counter-intuitive to me but add MORE to the phrase made it easier (for me) to master each piece.

I do not suggest there is any wisdom in this and it is not advice for anyone. I just shared it because I found it interesting to realize that something unexpected worked for me and, in retrospect, it makes so much sense.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-28-2018, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Adapt yourself to the requirements of what you are working on.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-28-2018, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

This is excellent advice. And it applies to more than just phrases of a melody or sections of a song.

For example, when I hear a musician play a fill, I often also hear a slight hesitation at the end as they try and navigate back to the main riff, rhythm, or whatever. That hesitation can take the shape of a fill that's out of time or just a fill that trails off and leaves an empty dotted quarter note at the end; this is easily remedied by thinking about where you want to end up and practicing those transitions.

Last edited by Erithon; 04-30-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithon View Post
This is excellent advice. And it applies to more than just phrases of a melody or sections of a song.

For example, when I hear a musician play a fill, I often also hear a slight hesitation at the end as they try and navigate back to the main riff, rhythm, or whatever. That hesitation can that the shape of a fill that's out of time or just a fill that trails off and leaves an empty dotted quarter note at the end; this is easily remedied by thinking about where you want to end up and practicing those transitions.
Yep, as soon as possible start thinking ahead the notes you are actually playing.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-29-2018, 09:19 AM

Good advice! When rehearsing in band situations I find it is useful, when focusing on a section of a song that needs to be tightened up for example, to start a few bars before hand so that we improve the section in context and not in isolation.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 04-29-2018, 10:34 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I'll always work a little entry ramp and exit ramp into a rough section. It's all part of learning the flow.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-03-2018, 07:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Great advice! Thanks for sharing it here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write