The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-15-2018, 10:43 AM

Default Very first performance - open mic

After years of playing and singing by myself, I finally bit the bullet and performed for an audience for the first time! I have been practicing my vocals the last year and was very nervous to even sing for my girlfriend. I finally starting singing and performing for her 2 weeks ago and after some feedback and making some improvements I finally gained enough confidence in myself to play for an audience.

There is a great bar near me and a band hosts an open mic night every Sunday night in which you can play with the band, play solo, or they can play along as they can pick up most songs very quickly.
After the bands first set, they graciously introduced me and before I knew it I was setting up!! I was thinking, holy crap, I am so terrified but was so excited at the same time! I went from my basement by myself, to playing on a stage, to an audience in a large bar standing up with my guitar and playing with a band! So many firsts for me at the same time it was crazy but what a truly wonderful experience. I absolutely loved it, more than I ever thought I would. Every dream I had as a child about playing guitar on a stage came true.

I played two songs and the band followed along and added in some nice drums, bass and fills from the lead guitarist. I just played with my cheap Fender that I was used to and that has a nice pickup system which actually sounded really nice through the Fishman amp and PA system. There was one instrumental part in the first song where the band and I were in sync and we were jamming and just felt so incredible, could have just kept playing and playing.

I couldn't sleep last night as I was so excited when I got home and realized what just happened and how awesome that was. Surprisingly I received a great applause, a few shout-outs and the singer of the band said it was awesome so super happy with all the feedback. Wow. Everyone was super gracious and made me feel very comfortable. I cant wait to do more!
Again, thanks to many of you in this forum as I continue to learn from all of you. Here are a few pics! The recordings I still may have to keep for myself at this moment in time. :-)

2012 Voyage Air VAOM-04
2012 Eastman E20D Sunburst
2013 Simon & Patrick Songsmith Sunburst
2018 PRS SE Custom 24 Tobacco Sunburst
(all lefties )
https://www.facebook.com/KTCalcuttMusic

Last edited by Acousticado; 10-15-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:12 AM

WELL DONE!!!

Hope others in this Forum who are "thinking about it" will take the plunge just as you did!
Old 10-15-2018, 11:50 AM

Woohoo! Congratulations!
Old 10-15-2018, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Hi Mitcher,
Warning--playing out could be addictive. Congrats for getting up the nerve. First time in front of folks is the toughest, I think.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 10-15-2018, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Awesome! Well done, Mitcher16. I've only played at parties, where I knew many of the people, and that was half a lifetime ago. I'd like to take a shot at an open mic someday. Cheers to you!
Old 10-15-2018, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

We found at our open mic that people need encouragement. Last week someone mentioned they were going to play the next week. I said, but why wait a week, you'll never get it back, so she ran home and got her guitar.

Nice to have a band, but you need to learn to fly solo. Try it a few times. Keep going back. Again and again. Heck, after thirty or so times it'll feel natural.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 10-15-2018, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Congrats. That was really a great post.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Keep the thrill alive!

What 2 songs did you do? Love your Fender strap. Rockin.
Nice house band too.
Thank you for sharing your joy.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:28 PM

Cochrane, hey?! I'm right down the road, in Calgary, 20 minutes by car from McKay's!

Good for you. Where did you play?

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 10-15-2018, 02:28 PM

Thanks everyone!
Yes it is super addictive for sure!

Cant wait to do it again soon, probably do a few songs that are a bit more fun with the band and then maybe some solo stuff which is actually more my comfort zone since I usually practice and sing by myself.

Tippy:
I did a folk song called 'I love you but Goodbye' by Langhorne Slim and the Law.
Second song was a version of 'Dancing on my Own' by Kings of Leon (originally a pop song by Robyn).

Those two I felt very comfortable playing and singing even though they may have been unknown to most of the crowd that was there.
Just when I started the first song, two older women sat in front of the dance floor and I could see their expression that they loved the words as I was singing them. Later my girlfriend told me they asked her if I wrote the song, sadly no but I thought that was an enormous compliment.

Everton:
Neighbors we are! I played at the Venue in Cochrane. Great live music there with all the good bands from Calgary like Curious George, etc. Definitely check it out, Sundays from 5:30 pm to 9:00 pm is the open mic jam.
Also, great food so plan on staying!
2012 Voyage Air VAOM-04
2012 Eastman E20D Sunburst
2013 Simon & Patrick Songsmith Sunburst
2018 PRS SE Custom 24 Tobacco Sunburst
(all lefties )
https://www.facebook.com/KTCalcuttMusic
Old 10-15-2018, 03:47 PM

Congratulations! Both on your ability and having the nerve enough when the time came to jump in! Good on you.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 10-15-2018, 03:54 PM

Good for you man, thats awesome. Ive done a few open mics now, and each time everyone has been very warm and supportive. The more inexperienced and shaky the performer, the more folks seem to step up with encouragement, know the courage it takes to et up there. Keep it up!
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 10-15-2018, 04:21 PM

Now that's a great thing to read. Good work!
Old 10-15-2018, 04:29 PM

I play "I love you, but Goodbye" too! Langhorne is such an expressive singer and currently one of my favorites. For open jams, I also play his song "This is the way we move" because it can be done with only A and D while allowing a ton of room for improv. Fun for all skill levels!
Old 10-15-2018, 04:53 PM

Good for you! First time with band and all. Music should be fun. Keep it going!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion