The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-12-2018, 07:13 PM

Smile Went to my first Blue Grass jam

Every Tuesday about 2 miles from me a few people get together and play blue grass. (There were a couple of banjo players, a few guitars and I was the third mandolin player.) I got the nerve up and went last Tuesday. I brought my mandolin; I think next time I'll go with a 6-string. I'll be able to keep up a bit more.

I really don't know a lot of tunes, but I can follow along even on the mandolin when they are playing in certain keys. (I'm still working on that pinky for four finger chords. Then the key they're playing in won't be an issue.)
Old 10-13-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzin View Post
Every Tuesday about 2 miles from me a few people get together and play blue grass. (There were a couple of banjo players, a few guitars and I was the third mandolin player.) I got the nerve up and went last Tuesday. I brought my mandolin; I think next time I'll go with a 6-string. I'll be able to keep up a bit more.

I really don't know a lot of tunes, but I can follow along even on the mandolin when they are playing in certain keys. (I'm still working on that pinky for four finger chords. Then the key they're playing in won't be an issue.)
Give it time. Bluegrass isn't the easiest genre to play well. Hang in and practice smart. The more you play with accomplished players, the better you can become.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 10-16-2018, 10:06 AM

That jam doesn't need another guitar player (most don't). However, BG jams really pop when there's a fiddle player. Mandolins skills crossover to fiddles. Buy a cheap fiddle, practice for a bit - you will be the best fiddler at the jam.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell