The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-02-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Interesting speculations, folks.

Question for you business majors: Do you think there's a scenario where Gibson might spin off the flat top Bozeman group and sell it separately? That must be such a small portion of Gibson's total revenues. 1%? 2%? 5%? Can't be any more than that. That would bring into play some smaller players. Larivee is an inspired choice, and PRS and a few others.

Anyway, it will be interesting to watch.

Please continue to let the fur fly.

sm

Not really.
How would that be advantageous to them or anyone?
If you mean what I think you mean, the electric portion would not be a part of it.
If you can tell me how that makes sense, I am interested in listening.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-02-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstuartev View Post
Meh. Yamaha?

I’d think Harley Davidson would be a better fit
Except that based on what I read about HD, that brand is likely to soon end up exactly where Gibson is right now... an outdated and inferior product clinging to the ideals of a dying customer base. (Not my words, but those of a very interesting article that appeared in the Guardian two and a half years ago, “Harley-Davidson's reputation as an 'old, white-guy brand' may be its downfall”).

I agree about your sentiment, though. I would like to see Gibson revitalized not by some other guitar maker, much less Yamaha, because it’s such a strong brand identity. While I respect Yamaha for their commitment to quality, I have not the slightest desire to ever own a Yamaha guitar. Don’t care about how good their value is. Brand identity is much less about the product than it is about perception. And based from what I have heard and read about Gibson guitars (never owned one), the brand’s perception and image seem to be stronger than the product.

Yamaha, a corporation that makes motorcycles, stereos, all sorts of musical instruments under the sun, and what else I don’t even know about, to me embodies the opposite of what I associate with the Gibson brand. Gibson to me stands for individuality, rough around the edges, outlaw country, heritage.

Yamaha, on the hand, feels like the “Walgreens” store brand of musical instruments. It would water the Gibson brand down and out of existence. From a brand perception perspective, it’d be like LG buying Apple. Or, like Yamaha buying Harley-Davidson.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

Last edited by DesertTwang; 06-02-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

I can't imagine anything but a venture capitalist with a bit of interest in guitars would go near Gibson/Epiphone...
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 06-02-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
Except that based on what I read about HD, that brand is likely to soon end up exactly where Gibson is right now... an outdated brand clinging to the ideals of a dying customer base.
I did some research. Except for a blurb in 2009, Harley Davidson has consistently sold 5-6000 units worldwide over the last fifteen years while motorcycle sales as a whole have declined steadily over the last 8-10 years.
That doesn't seem to reflect what you have read.
My guess is it may apply to the U.S. Market only. I think Harley has done well overseas as an American- made iconic brand.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-02-2018, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
I am sure that Two Old Hippies is watching this very carefully. They have acquired Breedlove and Weber in an attempt to add musical instruments to their "lifestyle brand". Gibson is already a lifestyle brand...
This was my first thought as well. Tom Bedell, in less than 12 years, built up Two Old Hippies and Bedell and acquired Weber and Breedlove. With the backing of the family money (fishing companies: Berkley, Eagle Claw, Fenwick, etc.), acquiring Gibson could be financially feasible and well within his brand philosophy. I think he'd do right by Gibson, honoring the history and heritage and building great instruments.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I did some research. Except for a blurb in 2009, Harley Davidson has consistently sold 5-6000 units worldwide over the last fifteen years while motorcycle sales as a whole have declined steadily over the last 8-10 years.
That doesn't seem to reflect what you have read.
My guess is it may apply to the U.S. Market only. I think Harley has done well overseas as an American- made iconic brand.
That’s interesting. I was mostly quoting from that article I referenced, and my own observations back in Germany, 20 years ago when I rode motorcycles myself. No one at the time wanted a Harley — they were viewed as anachronistic, obnoxious “poser bikes.” I remember once asking a guy with some Japanese chopper why he didn’t ride a Harley instead, who replied, “Because i want to ride, not repair.” That was a very common sentiment i encountered. But of course that was a long time ago, and things could have changed a lot since then.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 06-02-2018, 08:13 AM

Default should fender buy gibson ?

just curious since both founders are long gone and both are USA git companies who may need a new vision.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
That’s interesting. I was mostly quoting from that article I referenced, and my own observations back in Germany, 20 years ago when I rode motorcycles myself. No one at the time wanted a Harley — they were viewed as anachronistic, obnoxious “poser bikes.” I remember once asking a guy with some Japanese chopper why he didn’t ride a Harley instead, who replied, “Because i want to ride, not repair.” That was a very common sentiment i encountered. But of course that was a long time ago, and things could have changed a lot since then.

Yeah, I remember those days. AMF the "pool table company" running HD. Very bad bikes. However, things really did a 180 in the late '90s and early 2000s. Their bikes are now as well built and reliable as any Japanese or Euro bike. And they're no more a "poser bike." Their demographic has changed immensely. Lots of yuppy and upper middle class customers now. I've owned both American (HD) and Japanese bikes. Both are fun. Just different types of fun...cruise vs performance. People that call HD poser bikes are just looking for a way to feel superior. Simple as that. I remember my organ donor days. I felt superior too on my crotch rocket. I don't own a motorcycle any more. I have to admit I miss having one. But, for me, if I was to purchase another bike it would be some model of HD cruiser. I grew out of my organ donor days, fortunately, without having to donate any organs.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Don't know much about Gibson electrics but from what I hear in the "trade" they aren't up to much now.

So, sell the "brands" to China, they could probably make 'em better an cheaper there anyway.

Close the Nashville factory.

Gibson has lost it's reputation in acoustics, mandos, Dobros and banjos long ago, so maybe, just maybe Weber in Montana could take the acoustic instrument business over and knock out a few good ones with Weber on the headstocks.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:11 AM

Jeff Bezos
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-02-2018, 10:41 AM

Actually, though, I seem to remember for the bankruptcy filings that some hedge fund investors are taking over already, receiving Henry and his partners shares of Gibson. Henry is out as CEO and kept as an advisor only.

If the bankruptcy court accepts the petition, then comes the negotiation over how much of a haircut the fist and subsequent place creditors will have to accept. I do expect the non-instrument making parts to be sold off. The 1st place guys will make the decision if they think that Gibson can be viable absent all the debt. They may keep it, and then the question of running it comes into play.Or they may decide to sell it. Remember that not all hedge funds are corporate raiders like Bain, all about leveraged buyouts and the like. Some actually own and run quite successful companies.

If they do flog it, though, I'd like to see it in the hands of Paul Allen, who does have some enthusiasm for music. Outside Seattle you might not know him. One of the co-founders of a little tech startup called Microsoft, along with some guy named Gates. Owns the Seattle Seahawks and Portland Trailblazers. Along with half the real estate in South Lake Union. Has the pockets needed. Probably has the best privately-held musical instrument collection in the world. Often shown at the little museum that he founded here in Seattle: The Experience Music Project.

Yeah, how would you like to be able to rip out a solo on Jimi Hendrix's strat from Woodstock... That should be the guy.

OMMV
Old 06-02-2018, 10:46 AM

I thought I'd read something somewhere Henry was out so if that's true, it seems to be a good first step!

It ought to be an interesting thing to watch as it unfolds.

Best,
PJ
Old 06-02-2018, 10:46 AM

gibson. or joe bonamassa.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-02-2018, 10:52 AM

but who is going to buy the fender/gibson company? will it be called fenson or gibder?
joe bonamassa?

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-02-2018, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

I agree with who ever said Yamaha. Probably be the best thing to happen to Gibson next to me buying one, lol.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion