The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-15-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
I shudder when I read comments about 'gunk' or 'gunge', or 'grease build-up' on fingerboards.

If you wash your hands before playing, and wipe your strings and FB down after each playing session, as I do, there is never any grease, gunk, skin, sweat, spit, snot, or any other disgusting bodily substance building up on the board. A damp cloth followed by a dry cloth at each string change is all that's necessary.

Prevention is better than a cure, and considerably more hygienic.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.
While we may be hygienic quite a few guitars I have bought over the years have had some pretty gross junk all over them. My favorite Tele was a disgusting gunk encrusted ugly thing when I bought it. Sometimes you need more than H2O to remove years of buildup.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 10-15-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky2 View Post
Take a drinking glass, smudge your finger prints over then wipe it with a slightly damp cloth and then tell me "It's clean". Without using something sort of detergent you are just spreading it around.
Well, I've never used detergent on my fretboard (normally just 0000 steel wool), and it looks and feels great. Unlike a drinking glass, I'm not overly concerned with it being 100% sanitary. Not that I care if you use a detergent on your fretboard, of course
Old 10-15-2018, 02:59 PM

This Dunlop kit works great and lasts forever. Five years and counting with occasional use ie not every single string change. Comes with a rag and separate fret polish “cloth” thing which feels like rubberized sand paper for lack of better description.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...nditioning-kit
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 10-15-2018, 11:53 PM

I just use damp (not dripping) soft cloth to clean the fretboard and even the edges of the frets can be cleaned by reaching there with my fingertips covered with the cloth.

I don't use any solvent/cleaner product with my damp cloth but I do apply some olive oil (yes, the one from your kitchen) on the fretboard and it keeps the board shiny and it smells good too. The place where I live has low relative humidity all year round and this is recommended by my local luthier.

Not sure if you will like the smell tho.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
While we may be hygienic quite a few guitars I have bought over the years have had some pretty gross junk all over them. My favorite Tele was a disgusting gunk encrusted ugly thing when I bought it. Sometimes you need more than H2O to remove years of buildup.
Yep, I agree that extreme circumstances demand extreme measures, David, but that's not what my post was about. It was about maintaining a clean F/B on a permanent basis.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 10-16-2018, 10:59 AM

My feeling in general is start out with the least amount of chemicals and gradually work your way up. A rag dampened with warm water costs nothing and will remove a lot of crud. If that doesn’t get all/enough crud then maybe try some gentle scraping. If it’s still not clean enough then maybe try something harsher like naphtha.

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 10-16-2018, 01:26 PM

Default Fret Doctor

For cleaning, I just use water and elbow grease. Sometimes a little steel wool very carefully. For treating very dry, unfinished wood, I use nothing but Fret Doctor since it was first recommended to me.
Edmund W. Boyle [email protected] sells it (makes it up in his bathtub, I think) but a 30ml bottle will last you most of your life because you don't need much.

I only use it about every couple of years.
1969 Yamaha FG-150
1987 MIJ E Series Telecaster
1972 Gibson SG-100 (eat your heart out!)
Halcyon #261 SD45 (highly customized)
a "beater" Johnson resonator significantly altered cone
Kanilea ST-1 Premium (tenor uke)
Kala Concert and Soprano ukes

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion