The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-15-2018, 05:30 PM

Oh no, you’re in trouble! Now that you’ve done it, you’re going to want to be onstage every time you can!! It’s an awesome feeling!! Great job!! I hope you have MANY more open mics and gigs in your future!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-15-2018, 05:39 PM

That is so cool! Congrats!
Old 10-15-2018, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Great job and congratulations. Those that have not done it have no idea how nerve wracking it can be and just how much courage it takes to get up and play. A couple years ago we were where you are. This past summer we headlined full three hour gigs.

Keep it up. That great feeling never goes away. At least it doesn't for us. But the nerves do get better (less).
Old 10-15-2018, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Well done! I can't add much to what others have said but join them in celebrating your entry into the 'playing out' world. Keep at it, it's a great ride!
Old 10-15-2018, 06:07 PM

Congrats Micher - I applaud you!
I get nervous just thinking about doing an open mic.....but I keep thinking about it.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:13 PM

Congrats. We're proud of you and you should dang well be proud of yourself!

I gigged endlessly for over 20 years and miss it terribly, but that was in bands.

I tried solo gigs on uke and guitar but quickly realized I lack your bravery.

Ah, it really is one of the greatest feelings in the world, performing. I envy you.

In fact, I just moved, am older now (thus caring much less what people think of me) and frankly-- your post 8s inspirational to me.

I believe I'm going to work up a small repertoire and seek out some open mic/coffee shop gigs in my city.

I can't sing anymore, but maybe I can leave people with the impression I have a "unique" voice like Dylan, Neil Young or Willie Nelson (all of whom I admire deeply.)

I admire you too, man. Keep it up and have a blast bringing the joy of music to others. May it be a long, happy road for you!

- John Shedd
Old 10-16-2018, 02:37 AM

Cool! Congratulations, and thanks for the pictures - you look like a pro, even if you're not gonna let us listen
Old 10-16-2018, 05:33 AM

Congratulations. Great job.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

Good for you. Performing is a turn on for sure. Do it again!

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-16-2018, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations - stay with it!

I played out a lot in my early/mid 20s. I never played solo and I NEVER sang (if there are worse singers on earth, I'm glad they've also had the good taste to keep it to themselves!), but I played in a somewhat regular duo and sat in with bands quite a bit. I lived in a ski-town that had about three somewhat regular bands who were always swapping and borrowing members and I'd sit in or fill in about as often as I wanted. And there's very little in life that you can do with your clothes on that's more fun or a greater buzz than playing with other people in front of other people. There were some bad nights (mostly with the duo - we just weren't very good) but there were some absolutely amazing nights where the songs worked, the fills were perfect, and the jams could have gone on as long as we wanted to play. Launching into a lead guitar part, have the band kick it up a notch, and have the dance floor go crazy in real time has got to be one of the best feelings life has to offer.

BTW, I did all of those with electric guitars - I've never played acoustic at anything larger than informally at a house party.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:45 AM

love hearing stories like this!

I too JUST started performing at Open mics and have done about 10 now and that first one was terrifying. I am starting to get a little more comfortable now, but some of these folks at these open mics are so unbelievably talented, it makes it tough to follow them

I used to play in bands when I was younger (age 20-35) but haven't performed in front of people for over 20 years and also I never played acoustic guitar before. Just started playing acoustic about 6 months ago. It takes a while until you can completely relax up there and let your personality and creativity come out. I am still so focused on the chords and the lyrics. But like anything else, the magic really happens when you aren't thinking about any of that stuff and just getting lost in the moment.

My wife doesn't understand why I started doing these open mics. She doesn't get it. I tell her it's fun and challenging to play live and its great to share what you have with others. If just ONE person says to me afterwards "nice job...I enjoyed it" that makes it all worthwhile to me.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Nothing beats playing live to an appreciative audience. Congrats!
Old 10-16-2018, 11:48 AM

Thanks everyone for all the comments, really appreciate it, more than you know.

No matter what we discuss here on this forum about guitars, makes, models, etc...it really just comes down to playing and doing it because we love to do it no matter if it is in a basement or on stage in front of hundreds of people.

This is a great community to be a part of and feel very fortunate to be a part of it. Thanks to you all for your supportive comments and sharing this journey with me!
2012 Voyage Air VAOM-04
2012 Eastman E20D Sunburst
2013 Simon & Patrick Songsmith Sunburst
2018 PRS SE Custom 24 Tobacco Sunburst
(all lefties )
https://www.facebook.com/KTCalcuttMusic
Old 10-16-2018, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF dad View Post
Congrats Micher - I applaud you!
I get nervous just thinking about doing an open mic.....but I keep thinking about it.
Fact 1. Thinking about it is all well and good but you need to jump off the cliff.

Fact 2. Open mics serve all levels. If they don't, find one that does.

Fact 3. Everyone there will give you bonus good vibe points when you tell them it's your first time.

Fact 4. Weather you are good or not is immaterial. You are out of your comfort zone. You will be for a while. You could go on after a pro trying out new material before embarking on a European tour. Ask me how I know.

Fact 5. No one will be more critical than you. By far. Sometimes you will want to crawl under a rock. Thats ok, as long as you crawl back out.

Fact 6. Everyone will have fond memories of their first time. Don't deprive them of reliving their little nightmares.

Fact 7. You will have a razor like focus to your learning curve like nothing ever before.

Fact 8. Eventually it will be fun. You will eventually have a major flame out. Afterword, you'll swap remember when stories. Remember when I blanked out on the lyrics to Mary Had A Little Lamb? Remember when I played Tennesee Waltz as a foxtrot? Remember when I came late and my whole set was a repeat of songs that had been done before? Way better they told me. Remember when I had a great bluegrass instrumental set planned and opened my case only to realize I brought my twelve string? Remember the week there was a folk festival in town the following weekend and I had to play my third open mic sandwiched between two forty year veterans. Ahh, good times...

Fact 9. First step is the hardest.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 10-16-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Fact 1. Thinking about it is all well and good but you need to jump off the cliff.

Fact 2. Open mics serve all levels. If they don't, find one that does.

Fact 3. Everyone there will give you bonus good vibe points when you tell them it's your first time.

Fact 4. Weather you are good or not is immaterial. You are out of your comfort zone. You will be for a while. You could go on after a pro trying out new material before embarking on a European tour. Ask me how I know.

Fact 5. No one will be more critical than you. By far. Sometimes you will want to crawl under a rock. Thats ok, as long as you crawl back out.

Fact 6. Everyone will have fond memories of their first time. Don't deprive them of reliving their little nightmares.

Fact 7. You will have a razor like focus to your learning curve like nothing ever before.

Fact 8. Eventually it will be fun. You will eventually have a major flame out. Afterword, you'll swap remember when stories. Remember when I blanked out on the lyrics to Mary Had A Little Lamb? Remember when I played Tennesee Waltz as a foxtrot? Remember when I came late and my whole set was a repeat of songs that had been done before? Way better they told me. Remember when I had a great bluegrass instrumental set planned and opened my case only to realize I brought my twelve string? Remember the week there was a folk festival in town the following weekend and I had to play my third open mic sandwiched between two forty year veterans. Ahh, good times...

Fact 9. First step is the hardest.
awesome post! haha...mary had a little lamb...too funny...
2012 Voyage Air VAOM-04
2012 Eastman E20D Sunburst
2013 Simon & Patrick Songsmith Sunburst
2018 PRS SE Custom 24 Tobacco Sunburst
(all lefties )
https://www.facebook.com/KTCalcuttMusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion