The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 09-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Default Ticketmaster... *sigh* Looking at other ticket sellers now...

First a vent, then a question...

Well, I tried to buy tickets to the McCartney show in Raleigh this morning when they went on sale to the general public. My wife and I aren't big concert goers, but this was a big deal for me - I've never seen Macca and both he and I are getting up in years. It was time. We agreed on a reasonable price to pay - not necessarily the cheapest, but we simply can't swing several hundred dollars per seat.

Logged into the computer about 30 minutes before the "gates" opened. At 10am, when the sale starts, I'm advised that there are 2000+ ahead of me in line. It took until 10:25am for me to even be admitted to the system.

This is where things get interesting. Reasonably-priced tickets would show as being available, I'd click on them, the system would chug for a while, then claim that it "couldn't process" those tickets. This happened many times - incredibly frustrating. All the while, I'm seeing the lowest price of tickets available slowly creep up until they're priced beyond our reach. Game over (at least as far as PNC Arena/Ticketmaster is concerned). At this time, the cheapest ticket clocks in at over $1500 and every available seat is a single.

Vent over - now's the time to come up with Plan B.

I know that the perps behind this are the scalpers, who are now selling tickets through Vividseats, StubHub, SeatGeek, and others. Some of the prices are within our original budget. It rubs me the wrong way to knowingly buy into this system but, on the other hand, it IS Macca and, like I said, I don't know if I'll have another opportunity. Therefore, I'm giving this serious consideration. My questions are:
  • Which of these services offer the best service AND protection against fakes?Most of these services are offering only e-tickets. We usually print out our tickets - for a small show, we'd rely on the tech but we'd only be out $20-50 if there was a snafu. For this show, however, we'd be out hundreds. How reliable is this?
  • Should I buy now or wait until April when some ticket holders might be getting antsy?
Thanks, all! Sorry to come off like an old luddite/curmudgeon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN