The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-18-2018, 05:22 AM

Miller is one of a generation of sports commentators who, in an effort to "tell it like it is, confuse honesty with candor. Honesty is admitting you scratched your wife's car. Candor is telling her she's fat. Only one of these is a virtue.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
Miller is one of a generation of sports commentators who, in an effort to "tell it like it is, confuse honesty with candor. Honesty is admitting you scratched your wife's car. Candor is telling her she's fat. Only one of these is a virtue.
I agree... Though I'm not totally against candor if it's done with some humor. Sometimes Miller took things a little too seriously, where speakng without a filter ended up having him inset foot in mouth. Prime exampke would be the Ryder Cup where he raked Justin Leonard, said he should be sitting home or something, then Leonard drains a 50 foot putt for the US.

Feherty is unfiltered too, but he does it in a way that makes people laugh, even at themselves. Which is OK, we can be a bit too stuffy for our own sakes...
Old 10-18-2018, 07:52 PM
Musical minimalist

I didn't really have an opinion about Johnny as a commentator until the last few years. The thing that gets to me now is that ALL of his references are from his era - almost like he's not paying attention to any players but the top echelon since he was there himself.

Some of his remarks have gotten more snide of late as well.

He could certainly play in his prime, but I think it's probably a good time to let someone else take over

Last edited by fitness1; 10-19-2018 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
I’ve fallen asleep on the couch to Johnny’s voice many a time.
I understand this. I can start out watching the game, but suddenly I am waking up to listen a moment and am drifting back to sleep. I wonder... is it the funny comments the guys sometimes say and the calming golf voice that makes me appreciate the game so much?

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.

Last edited by Mary; 10-19-2018 at 08:55 AM. Reason: I must have been sleeping when I wrote the original post
Old 10-19-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
I understand this. I can start out watching the game, but suddenly I am waking up to listen a moment and am drifting back to sleep. Is it back to think it's the funny comments the guys sometimes say and the calming golf voice that makes me appreciate the game so much?
There's no more calming voice in sports than the great Peter Aliss!
Old 10-19-2018, 09:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Golf naps on the couch wrapped in a blanket are the best comfort when any of the older guys speak. I can almost pretend I am laying on the grass in the sun without the golf crowd looking at me like I am a goober who just passed out.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic