The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-30-2018, 08:53 AM

Default X20 Opus - shape/angle of sides.

I have a message in to Emerald, but until I receive an answer, viewing from the front, soundhole to the left, is the upper to lower bout of the left side perpendicular to the top? I believe that the opposite side, that rests on the left leg, is sloped a bit for comfort.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:06 AM

I think you will have to draw me a picture. I have arranged my Opus X20 in front of me and still don't quite understand what you are asking.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 06-30-2018, 09:29 AM

Hi. I guess you play right-handed, sitting the side of the guitar on your left leg. A standard/basic guitar has curved sides that are perpendicular (right angled) to the flat top. Is the Emerald's side sloped somewhat for comfort, as opposed to a standard guitar, a box shape with curvy sides? My hope is that the side of the guitar with the soundhole, the side not resting on the leg, is the basic perpendicular to the top of the guitar.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
Hi. I guess you play right-handed, sitting the side of the guitar on your left leg. A standard/basic guitar has curved sides that are perpendicular (right angled) to the flat top. Is the Emerald's side sloped somewhat for comfort, as opposed to a standard guitar, a box shape with curvy sides? My hope is that the side of the guitar with the soundhole, the side not resting on the leg, is the basic perpendicular to the top of the guitar.
OK. I think I understand now. Everything on the X20 is curved except for the front (where the strings are attached) from the head and nut to past the saddle. So if you take your typical wood guitar, it just like other guitars on the front (as long as you ignore the offset hole), but wholly different on the back and sides. The neck profile isn't much different from typical (though a little thicker than electrics or Taylors I think), but the rest is curved for the comfort of the player.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 06-30-2018, 09:41 AM

The top side of the bouts and waist (the sound hole side) are basically perpendicular when resting on my lap. They do drop off with beveling and curves differently than a standard idea of a wood guitar, but they are what I think you would consider perpendicular until then.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:42 AM

Thanks Tom.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:18 PM

You are welcome. By the way, where the bouts and waist meet the back of the guitar all around and the front except for the bevel and sound hole is close to 90 degrees, but it's not a sharp turn. It's rounded slightly about the same amount (maybe a little sharper but not as sharp as a standard wood guitar) now that I think about it and compare to a smoothed piece of lumber you can get at your local lumber yard. The back of course is a bit obtuse where the front is fairly close to 90 degrees all the way around.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:04 PM

It'll be the perfect comfort level for me, even though I'm left-handed, playing a righty. I had feared buying it only to find a hard angle resting on my leg. No one makes/manufactures an all-laminate 7-string, so this is my best choice for a humidity resistant guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber