The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-19-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Congrats on another fine jewel- Superman lives in Donegal

Thanks! Chuck Norris wears Alistair Pajamas [emoji23][emoji23]
Old 06-19-2018, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

I have both and the ice finish is fine, but I prefer the gloss look. I think it makes the guitar look even more "high end". If that makes sense. I get those that prefer the ice though.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:40 PM

Congrats on the new guitar!

I haven’t seen the full gloss in person but since having the crystal ice on mine it has really grown on me, also easy to maintain!
Old 06-20-2018, 06:30 AM

That’s a great looking X20 Songtown, congrats.
Fwiw-I wouldn’t sell too quickly, I still like the sound my wood guitars impart and really like having both CF and wood. The CF gets more play time as I travel for work and also when I need to wait for kids at activities I can have one in the car with no worries, not to mention having them out on the stand in the house for a quick play. Then, in my case, my Taylor 812ce comes out and I just really love the “flavor” of the tone again
I say enjoy them all!
Old 06-25-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Since the third part of the quote above was to me, I’ll answer it: I haven’t seen a glossy woody with the Crystal Ice back and sides, but I would imagine it would look just fine. Having an Opus, I appreciate the difference between the solid overall color (black) and the texture on the front and back. Maybe it is a part of my “wood upbringing,” where guitars often had a different look to the top and B/S.

The Emerald woodies are spectacular, and to my eye, are set off nicely with the overall gloss.

That said, I really appreciate that Emerald works with their buyers to get each person what they want. What I like may not be what you want, but we can each have our ideal. The combination of having some guitars “in stock” and their ability to make you just what you want is only one of the things that puts Emerald a step above in my book.
I have a woody with a gloss top and crystal ice back and sides. They had no problem doing it and I definitely prefer it. They advise against a crystal ice top, but that was about it. With the woody top, the back and sides are going to look different anyway, so it doesn't really look any more odd.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:20 PM

Default NGD Lefty Emerald Opus X20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith View Post
I have a woody with a gloss top and crystal ice back and sides. They had no problem doing it and I definitely prefer it.
Thanks, great to know someone has actually done it!

Quote:
They advise against a crystal ice top
Did they say why?
Old 06-28-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muser View Post
Thanks, great to know someone has actually done it!

Did they say why?
I think it was related to the aesthetics of the woody top, and wanting it all to come through. Although I don't know if its something they would do for the basic model or not. It does seem to be a rougher texture than a normal matte finish.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I think it was related to the aesthetics of the woody top, and wanting it all to come through.

I can understand them not wanting to do it for a woody top, since those are entirely about aesthetics and the details of the veneer, but it seems to me that it could be an interesting option for a plain CF top.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber