The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-04-2012, 05:01 PM

Some posters make it easy to dismiss their opinions when they make statement with little, if any factual data and tend to bash a system rather than help the original OP in answering his question.

I find the ES system to my liking. Others do not. I find using a Loudbox 100 along with a QSC K10 powered speaker gives me the most wonderful full guitar sound from my ES equipped GA8 Taylor guitar to fill most venues and rooms. Not once has a sound tech. or sound guy at some of the places I have performed commented that he had trouble with my guitar or EQ or sound. If fact, I have been often complemented on my guitar and thanked for providing a direct hook up with my TRS 1/4" to TSR cable for the mixer. Natural sound or not, it gets the job done and I love it. However if the original poster does not find it satisfies his ear, there seem to be great options for him to modify or even replace the existing system with something that HIS EARS and others find pleasing. I am all for it and hope he shares what he finally decides on in this forum.

Really, to you in this forum, who in this thread spread mis-information and out-right falsehoods..... you are only doing yourselves a dis-service. Most members will no longer take your opinions as objective and find, that for some reason you have an axe to grind with Taylor or some other brand.

State your objections, why you feel it does not offer the sound or tone you were expecting, but keep it accurate, factual, and above all..... civil.

We are all here to learn, enjoy, experience, and fulfill our love for music and guitars and to help others do the same.

To the OP (original Poster) let us know how things go and what direction you finally decide upon. You will help others in the future and hopefully, we have given you some direction for your tone adventure.

Brad
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics

Last edited by briggleman; 01-05-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:39 AM

Hmm, seems like we still need a Taylor sub-forum. Oh well...

I have to say I like the ES, though I agree that it wasn't as good as it should have been when first introduced. When I can afford it I will be upgrading my AA-powered system for the latest - the original upgrade to 9v didn't go far enough to solving the mid-heavy sound (just think about where the magnetic pickup is situated) so for me the price tag wasn't worth it then. I still think it is a bit pricey now but the sonic improvement makes it worth while. Aesthetically hats off to Taylor for providing side mount controls that don't demand a square hole cut in the side, I love the three knob solution - if I need more eq, presence, tuner and so on I have our mixing desk, Radial pz-pre and assorted tuners to do those jobs!

Interestingly I used both my Taylor (AA ES) and my Guild (Fishman Matrix) at a gig not so long ago, I played guitar and sang and my musical partner played fiddle. The sound guy (who happens to be my friend and colleague, very experienced sound engineer) actually preferred the Fishman overall, feeling it was had more sonic substance and suited our material better (broadly Celtic, American and Swedish roots music) while the Taylor's sound was great for the more subtle fingerstyle numbers and would suit situations where the Taylor would sit on top of other instruments in a larger mix.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

Last edited by pieterh; 01-05-2012 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Added text re knobs:)
Old 01-05-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggleman View Post
HAMBONE AND SIDE MAN make it easy to dismiss their opinions when they make statement with little, if any factual data and tend to bash a system rather than help the original OP in answering his question.

Really, to you in this forum, who in this thread spread mis-information and out-right falsehoods..... you are only doing yourselves a dis-service. Most members will no longer take your opinions as objective and find, that for some reason you have an axe to grind with Taylor or some other brand.

State your objections, why you feel it does not offer the sound or tone you were expecting, but keep it accurate, factual, and above all..... civil.

Brad
Hey Briggleman, feel free to send me a PM so I can reply directly to your accusations of "spreading mis-information and out-right falsehoods". I'd be more than happy to accommodate.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:03 AM

OK, so I go and tell everyone to be civil, yet in the same post I call out individuals by name to critique their posts...... talk about sticking one's foot in his mouth and being hypocritical.

Hambone and Side Man.... I APOLOGISE! I will revise my earlier post to generalize rather than specify.

Brad
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 01-05-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggleman View Post
OK, so I go and tell everyone to be civil, yet in the same post I call out individuals by name to critique their posts...... talk about sticking one's foot in his mouth and being hypocritical.

Hambone and Side Man.... I APOLOGISE! I will revise my earlier post to generalize rather than specify.

Brad
Apology accepted...
Old 01-07-2012, 04:10 AM

Y'know, that's one of the things I love about this forum - most of the time we're couteous and generous, and when we screw up or get carried away we're easily forgiven and we move on

Now, where's that beater I was gonna bash someone over the head with...?
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 01-07-2012, 09:21 AM

Let's hope that somewhere in all this the original poster's question was answered by all the vast knowledge on this forum. It's truly a special place isn't it.

I kind of believe that the expression system does what it supposed to do (when it functions properly) but would benefit as part of a dual source system, the other part being a mic.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 01-07-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
... I kind of believe that the expression system does what it supposed to do (when it functions properly) but would benefit as part of a dual source system, the other part being a mic.
The Expression System is a dual source system - one source being its dynamic soundboard pickup (essentially a contact microphone) and the other, an induction (magnetic) pickup. By not having to depend on a conventional microphone, it is less susceptible to feedback.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:49 PM

My 2 cents: I was impressed by the system. I got lots of compliments on my tone. It didn't sound like a studio mic'd guitar...but then neither do any of the others. It's a matter of sucking less when it comes to acoustic guitar pickups.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:22 PM

Wow! It's amazing the passion and unique insight we each have when it comes to tone and sound and preferences of each.

I will agree with Root5150 though, that the ES was "disappointing" when I first tried it out a couple of years ago. Not because it sounded bad, but because it just sounded average, and those of us that love Taylor Guitars are not used to average. It truly is a good system, very resistant to feedback, and quality tone that works in a lot of venues, and simple to use.

But for a tone snob (which I would be willing to bet there are quite a few of us on this forum based on the posts we've been seeing here), it just doesn't meet some of our expectations.

It is a little annoying to buy a Taylor Guitar that you fall in love with because of the playability and the unplugged sound, and then you're stuck with three little knobs that are useless if you decide to change out the ES to something else. I guess you could order the guitar from the factory sans pickup, but that's not the same as visiting all of our favorite guitar shops and spending hours playing each variation of woods, shapes, sizes, etc. to find the one that really grabs us. And as any tone snob knows, no two guitars are the same...

I have a feeling that the way the market has been trending, soon all pickup systems (including a future tweak of the ES) will be standard with no holes drilled in the guitar, like the Fishman Ellipse, or the various Baggs models, etc. Until then, we learn to live with the ES (which isn't all that terrible) or we add another pickup system and live with three little useless knobs. Either way I'm playing guitar, so life is good....
Old 01-08-2012, 03:12 AM

Minefield's last comment says it all It's a great life where we have the luxury of having the ES discussion in the first place.

Two days ago I was playing my Taylor (unplugged) and it was gorgeous. Yesterday I took the Guild out, also acoustic. Also lovely. Today I suspect that my wife's maple OM will make an appearance too while I strum or fingerpick on one of mine. Since we're actually rehearsing today I might even get out my G&L to see if it actually suits a certain song better.

Yep, I'm playing guitar while my wife and I sing. It's a good life

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 01-11-2012, 02:07 PM

Well, this is a little discouraging in a way given that I just purchased a Taylor 114E and was debating about whether to go with the ES or not and ended up choosing the ES - now I'm second guessing myself. But, the novice that I am, I guess it will be awhile before it will be a problem or noticeable to me.

No buyer's remorse - I still love the feel of my guitar in my hands...

Last edited by iamtaylor; 01-11-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtaylor View Post
Well, this is a little discouraging in a way given that I just purchased a Taylor 114E and was debating about whether to go with the ES or not and ended up choosing the ES - now I'm second guessing myself. But, the novice that I am, I guess it will be awhile before it will be a problem or noticeable to me.

No buyer's remorse - I still love the feel of my guitar in my hands...
the pickup in the 114E is different than the one being discussed here. Your guitar has an under-the-saddle piezo pickup rather than the dual source system used on the more expensive guitars. So don't pay any attention to this thread
that's me on guitar
Old 01-12-2012, 08:51 PM

okay...I'm sorry..I'll go back to my corner and just observe...
Old 01-16-2012, 02:50 PM

still lookin' for replies to the OP's question about drop in replacement's for the ES... think we could start a bullet list of what's available ? the only one I've determind is a 'near' drop in replacement is the Mi-Si Align, allowing use of the existing pre-drilled holes for volume bass and tone... what about the end pin casing for 2xaa and 9v ES systems ? wouldn't the casing have to be removed, and something else retrofitted in, to allow a standard 1/4" endpin jack to be installed ? think I remember reading about someone who made custom end pin casings for this situation - in different wood types/stains... thoughts?

Drop In Replacements (or, near drop in)
- MiSi Align
- ?
- ?
1997 Takamine EF341C
1984 Larrivee RS4 solid body Electric
1935 Harmony Archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification