The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Hi Larry,

I don't think anyone is disputing the knowledge that your first-hand experience with the BagAmp has gained you. I'm not. Some players may want or need the extra EQ-control the SoloAmp has onboard though. Maybe. Maybe not.

Thanks for your informative review of the new BagAmp. It compelled me to go to the BagAmp website for more information.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Sure, no problem, my pleasure.

Keep this in mind:

It's correct to state that the SoloAmp, for $300 more, has more I/O features. I personally would not use or need these features...and this may be true for many users. On top of this, having things like effects loops and "tuner-out" jacks are very difficult to use when you're 10-15 feet away from the unit....you either have to use really long cables, or go back to the SA (using short cables) when needing to manipulate an outboard reverb setting, etc.

It's one of the endemic problems with these units...if you put a bunch of controls and features on the amp itself, then you can never really easily get *to* the amp to deal with those controls, since it's never right next to you while in-use. Simple is better.

This was true with Fishman's original Performer Pro (which also had a "blender" built into it), and is true for *all* the units out there now, with controls *on* the unit itself.

If the BagAmp remote mixing board gives you all the additional bells and whistle some might need, this puts them at your fingertips when you're performing, and for essentially the same price as the stand-alone SoloAmp, with all controls, I/Os, etc., *on* the amp...then it seems that the Bag Amp will win on all fronts.

The Bose L1 Model II does this, utilizing their T1 mixer, but the cost to get in the game is $3K.

IMO it's important to have the full perspective on this...

P.S. At one point (far too late in the process for BagAmp) I suggested to Jack Campbell that the existing control pad be manufactured as a removable (corded) control pad. I then also suggested to make the BagAmp with no controls or multiple inputs at all on the amp, and have their mixer (more controls than the current system) as the input, much like the L1 Model II. It was far to late for these suggestions to even be considered, and Jack probably thought I was nuts, anyway. I would in fact like to have NO controls on units like this...keep it *really* simple, and force the remote mixer. This way, the full basic controls are *always* at hand.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 10-15-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:21 PM

Just spent the last 45 minutes reading through this

http://www.acousticguitar.com/ubbcgi...c;f=1;t=028785

I stumbled on that through a link but I have to find the rest of this story!
Old 10-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
That's exactly the point of this sort of gear (Bose, Bag Amp, SoloAmp), and I *think* it was the point of the thread...

I'm *done* hauling heavy speakers and hefting them up on speaker stands. I'm also done carrying rack-space gear, and even carrying lengthy speaker cables, extra monitors (with more cables), etc.

With the new portable gear, none of this excess is necessary...and the sound can be great.
Boy me too, done hauling heavy speakers. In fact I sold a Mackie 1402 and a pair of 450s for that very reason, my lower back didn't like lifting 50 + lbs up onto stands . I got the Solo Amp and a SKB rolling rack with nice front end-- Langevin DVC , TC3000, and a monster 2500 power conditioner. the rolling rack just parks where say the base unit might sit. Pleased so far

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
IMO it's simply not true at all.

I tested the BA plugged straight in, using the onboard EQ and the onboard reverb. Vocal mic, as well.

The end result was "usability" (dealing with volume, EQ and reverb on the small panel on the amp itself) identical to the SA, but (for me) a better sound...plugged straight in.

Perhaps you could explain why you feel these systems are not identical in this regard, and why someone would be forced to use additional front-end gear on the BA?
True to whom? Everyone? Of course not. While your review and opinions are helpful, it's still anecdotal. Perhaps I will wait until I check out the BagAmp. I just suspect the single tone control of the BagAmp will not suffice for many folks, whereas the three eq controls of the SoloAmp would suffice.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Boy me too, done hauling heavy speakers. In fact I sold a Mackie 1402 and a pair of 450s for that very reason, my lower back didn't like lifting 50 + lbs up onto stands . I got the Solo Amp and a SKB rolling rack with nice front end-- Langevin DVC , TC3000, and a monster 2500 power conditioner. the rolling rack just parks where say the base unit might sit. Pleased so far

Got pics of your rack?
Old 10-15-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
Got pics of your rack?
I got smacked asking that once... hope you fair better.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
True to whom? Everyone? Of course not. While your review and opinions are helpful, it's still anecdotal. Perhaps I will wait until I check out the BagAmp. I just suspect the single tone control of the BagAmp will not suffice for many folks, whereas the three eq controls of the SoloAmp would suffice.

All reviews are anecdotal.

I'll look forward to your review.

What you suspect and what the reality-may-be could end up being two very different things.

...and as I mentioned above:

"If the BagAmp remote mixing board gives you all the additional bells and whistle some might need, this puts them at your fingertips when you're performing, and for essentially the same price as the stand-alone SoloAmp, with all controls, I/Os, etc., *on* the amp...then it seems that the Bag Amp will win on all fronts."

I stand by that statement.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 10-15-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Are you checking out the BagAmp soon? I would like your opinion on this.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:43 PM

Default Tone

I've spent more energy on seeking tone (for my electric setup) than the energy I spend on mastering the guitar. I've been involved in way too many discussions about different effects pedals and I KNOW that everyone has their own ideas in their heads.

What I HAVE learned over the years is that people who do music for a living have a much better opportunity to have tried more things than I have and the experience in the live performance. I don't know Larry from Adam (Adam who?) but I see that he gives very measured responses and always includes how things work "for him" and emphasizes the fact that it is HIS opinion and never forces that opinion on anyone. After spending some time on his website listening to his playing and reading of his experience along with how he handles himself here gives me a LOT to go by when he gives his opinion of something. I would venture to even research the rest of his gear feeling that he has used the same critical thinking to pick out those. Does that make him an expert? Maybe/Maybe Not. What it does for me is to highly consider something he says. IMHO of course!
Old 10-15-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I've spent more energy on seeking tone (for my electric setup) than the energy I spend on mastering the guitar. I've been involved in way too many discussions about different effects pedals and I KNOW that everyone has their own ideas in their heads.

What I HAVE learned over the years is that people who do music for a living have a much better opportunity to have tried more things than I have and the experience in the live performance. I don't know Larry from Adam (Adam who?) but I see that he gives very measured responses and always includes how things work "for him" and emphasizes the fact that it is HIS opinion and never forces that opinion on anyone. After spending some time on his website listening to his playing and reading of his experience along with how he handles himself here gives me a LOT to go by when he gives his opinion of something. I would venture to even research the rest of his gear feeling that he has used the same critical thinking to pick out those. Does that make him an expert? Maybe/Maybe Not. What it does for me is to highly consider something he says. IMHO of course!
+1 Well said.
Webber Roundbody cutaway
Taylor Big Baby
Taylor T5

[[email protected]
Old 10-15-2009, 04:38 PM

I would hope that the absence of the typical complement of tone controls on the BagAmp would not prejudice a reviewer when it comes to evaluating the overall performance.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Are you checking out the BagAmp soon? I would like your opinion on this.

When one shows up in Portland I'll probably give it a whirl.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
All reviews are anecdotal.

I'll look forward to your review.

What you suspect and what the reality-may-be could end up being two very different things.

...and as I mentioned above:

"If the BagAmp remote mixing board gives you all the additional bells and whistle some might need, this puts them at your fingertips when you're performing, and for essentially the same price as the stand-alone SoloAmp, with all controls, I/Os, etc., *on* the amp...then it seems that the Bag Amp will win on all fronts."

I stand by that statement.
Agreed......
Old 10-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I would hope that the absence of the typical complement of tone controls on the BagAmp would not prejudice a reviewer when it comes to evaluating the overall performance.
Hi Herb...
The Headway EDB-1 preamp is similar in it only applies a single 5 band EQ on the output of the total mix instead of on individual channels. In real-life this presents no issues for me, and sounds fabulous.

All ''audio tests'' are personal to us, and our reports are based on our ears, and any friend's opinions which get mixed in.

I sure want to get a hands-on (with guitar & vocal mic plugged in) with a bagamp to consider one. It has to do with updating equipment in either 2010 or 2011 which is going to be approaching 400 gigs, combined with newer technology.

The size of the bagamp is very appealing to me, because the older I get the less I pack along with me. It seems even lighter than my UltraSound AG-50.

I am a singer/player and only need two channels (the preamp/blenders I use provide front end control over the guitar tone shaping & volume), so if it sounds as good as my UltraSound it seems like an appropriate upgrade.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Got pics of your rack?
Actually no but I will take some and post em fairly quickly.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification