The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Default UPDATE update UPDATE update UPDATE update UPDATE update

Hi all...
My tech came over and looked at the unit and played with it for an hour or so. Canare cable order and pro-quality ends order going out tonight.

He wants to meter the cable ends while plugged into the EDB-1 unit so he can plan a bit more refinement in the design, and he should be wiring up the cable next week. I plan on going over to his shop when he wires it and shooting pictures for the sake of others (and to send to John Littler of Headway).

Thank for your ongoing participation and involvement in this thread...

The tech was surprised at how good the EDB-1 sounds with just the pickup alone (he operates a professional sound company, is a radio station engineer for this area, and owned his own radio stations for 10 years.).

He is as excited as I am to build the cable. He is going to build a 12 foot single cable ''trunk'' from the guitar to the split, and then 3-4 foot Y-split cables to plug into the separate channels 1 & 2. He will heat shrink the completed cable joints for a professional job of securing the joint.

Should have this up and running sometime late next week...this has to be done on ''his time'' and he's doing it as a friend for parts. I'll pay him something for his time as well, and once we get one working, I'll have him build a second as a backup.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-19-2009, 01:03 PM

u know what? i still do not understand how it works.. haha

i've tried readin.. really.. haha but i'm no electrician.

i know for the normal trinity, the ring is wired with the mic and is what receives the power for the mic.

after the split..

the PWM to the 1/4" mono i understand..

from jamison:

"Ch.1 is a stereo jack. The tip source feeds Ch.1, phantom power is supplied to the ring, but any signal on the ring is not fed to that Ch. So a jumper on a 1/4" TRS plug connecting the tip and ring plugged into Ch.1 should get the mic powered and signal fed to that Ch.

Ch.2 is also a stereo jack but has 2 applications:
1) Acts in mono feeding a signal from the tip of a plug to Ch. 2 when there is a source already plugged into Ch.1.
2) Acts in stereo feeding a signal from the tip of a plug to Ch.2 and from the ring of the plug to Ch.1 when there is nothing already plugged into Ch.1."

so just using a trs into ch2 can't split it for u?

ok nevermind.. haha.. if it works it works.. and i'll get one..

i'm not sure anyone over here knows how to make a cable like that though.. =(
Old 09-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hann View Post
...so just using a trs into ch2 can't split it for u?
Hi hann...
Channel 2 on an EDB-1 would work fine for pre-amplifying two passive sources. The internal mic requires phantom power to work, which is only supplied by channel 1.

Many companies wire their preamps with the assumption that we will be using a dual source with one passive pickup and a phantom powered mic.

This is not the approach taken by Headway.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-19-2009, 05:32 PM

Larry,

What kind of "re-finement" is he talking about doing? The main goal is to get signal "A" and "B" from guitar to Pre and should work exactly as I have outlined. Also a 3-4' Y split is a bit excessive unless you ever anticipate plugging into 2 different preamps or something. The EDB-1 jacks are close enough that a 1' split would be more than enough and then you could add heat shrink as needed. Just thinking about making the cable as secure and solid as possible while maintaining as much shielding as possible. I've made many split cables for amp/footswitch operations but have never had to worry about shielding as they don't carry audio, just mechanical operations. What kind of Canare Cable are you using? 2 runs of single conductor like GS-6 or the Star Quad?
Old 09-19-2009, 05:34 PM

Also, if anyone has questions on ordering state-side, get in touch with me via PM or email.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison162 View Post
Larry,

What kind of "re-finement" is he talking about doing? The main goal is to get signal "A" and "B" from guitar to Pre and should work exactly as I have outlined. Also a 3-4' Y split is a bit excessive unless you ever anticipate plugging into 2 different preamps or something. The EDB-1 jacks are close enough that a 1' split would be more than enough and then you could add heat shrink as needed. Just thinking about making the cable as secure and solid as possible while maintaining as much shielding as possible. I've made many split cables for amp/footswitch operations but have never had to worry about shielding as they don't carry audio, just mechanical operations. What kind of Canare Cable are you using? 2 runs of single conductor like GS-6 or the Star Quad?
Hi jamison...
Thanks for all your input, sir. It is appreciated.

In reverse order...
I think he said Star Quad

I think I have time to decide on the length of the cable beyond the ''Y'', and I will discuss it with my tech. I just thought that 3 feet would allow the trunk to rest on the floor and the jacks would not have to support the weight of the trunk pulling down on Y joint...perhaps it's not that critical. My bench that the preamp sits on is about 20'' off the floor.

The guy who is my tech, is a true tech at heart, and he is just wanting to measure and test things with a volt-ohm meter before the first cable is wired...he read your explanations and directions from the forum and it is his guideline.

I'd have just started soldering, but he wants time to explore...I mean we spent time today plugging in different combinations of TRS and mono cables into the guitar and into separate channels at the same time to be sure how things interact...with and without phantom (no surprises by the way).

He's just typical careful tech...and the kind I want doing my work. He's just making sure everything is in order before applying power...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 09-20-2009, 08:34 PM

Hello Fellas,

Churchman again coming out of lurking.

So you say this thing isn't made for active pickups? What's a good blender that will handle a active UST and a active OR passive Mag pickup? I've a got a active Matrix in the bridge and I have both active and passive M1's.

FYI, I'm running the UST thru a AURA and the M1 direct. I would like to blend the output from the AURA and M1 into a single channel.

Long story short, I've got thE AURA but I miss some of the characteristics of the sound hole pickup and would like to have a little bit of both worlds.

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread.

Thanks,
Churchman
Old 09-20-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchman View Post
Hello Fellas,

Churchman again coming out of lurking.

So you say this thing isn't made for active pickups? What's a good blender that will handle a active UST and a active OR passive Mag pickup? I've a got a active Matrix in the bridge and I have both active and passive M1's.

FYI, I'm running the UST thru a AURA and the M1 direct. I would like to blend the output from the AURA and M1 into a single channel.

Long story short, I've got thE AURA but I miss some of the characteristics of the sound hole pickup and would like to have a little bit of both worlds.

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread.

Thanks,
Churchman
Hey Churchie,

this preamp should work equally well with active or passive pickups as each channel has adjustable input impedance. For an active system you would choose the 1 meg ohm impedance.
So essentially you can feed this preamp an active pickup signal and a passive one at the same time via a TRS cable, adjust the Input impedance and the Gain on the designated channels and play away

Jasko
Taylor 110 w/ Dtar Wavelength & JJB 330
Blueridge BR-361
S.Yairi 1978 Rosewood/ Spruce Classical

1 Tiny Baby All Solid KOA Tennor UKE w/ Shadow UST
Old 09-20-2009, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchman View Post
...So you say this thing isn't made for active pickups? What's a good blender that will handle a active UST and a active OR passive Mag pickup? I've a got a active Matrix in the bridge and I have both active and passive M1's.
Hi Churchman...
I don't think that is what we are saying...in fact it can power and run an active internal pickup (I believe it will supply power so an internal active pickup can operate without an internal battery).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 09-20-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Churchman...
I don't think that is what we are saying...in fact it can power and run an active internal pickup (I believe it will supply power so an internal active pickup can operate without an internal battery).
Yea,
it can power an active pickup via channel 1, but you need to remove the battery and put in some kind of special phantom battery (just so there is not an open circuit) that you leave in there and then the system is powered with 12v from channel 1.
The headway systems that john is designing now incorporate this technology and allow you to have an active system in the guitar but with no batteries, they will be powered by the external preamp

Jasko
Taylor 110 w/ Dtar Wavelength & JJB 330
Blueridge BR-361
S.Yairi 1978 Rosewood/ Spruce Classical

1 Tiny Baby All Solid KOA Tennor UKE w/ Shadow UST
Old 09-21-2009, 05:35 AM

mmm if you power an active pickup without a batt?

shouldn't u just use a passive pickup instead? hahah

ooh jasko, where in aussie are u?! i'm headin to perth in oct!
Old 09-21-2009, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hann View Post
...shouldn't u just use a passive pickup instead? hahah
Hi Hann...
Many players have an existing rig which they don't want to yank and replace so the ability to power an existing internally powered pickup is convenient and the gear weighs less too.

Your suggestion makes sense for someone starting from scratch of course.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 09-21-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskofall View Post
So essentially you can feed this preamp an active pickup signal and a passive one at the same time via a TRS cable,
Or 2 x 1/4" mono. There are separate inputs if your guitar is not wired with a TRS jack.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskofall View Post
Yea,
it can power an active pickup via channel 1, but you need to remove the battery and put in some kind of special phantom battery (just so there is not an open circuit) that you leave in there and then the system is powered with 12v from channel 1.
Jasko
I don't think is an issue as guitar fx pedals do this all the time. But, it's not as simple as it sounds. The jack and cable will have to accomodate sucha setup....not difficult, but not exactly plug-n-play either.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:34 AM

that's true Larry..

woah what's a phantom battery anyway?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification