The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-17-2024, 09:58 PM

Default Bose S1 Pro+ saved the day

I needed to do a quick performance this evening with a small amount of sound reinforcement. But I needed two mics and a guitar.

I sold my PA stuff some time ago and have been using a Yamaha THR practice amp at home and a Bose S1 Pro+ for occasional needs.

It occured to me while looking at the Bose that the third channel had a 1/4" input. I'm used to ignoring the aux on mixers. I figured what the heck?! It worked. I plugged a K&K straight in. Little treble, little cut on the bass, and in business. I guess you could slide in a reverb pedal if you felt obligated. I have one that increases the signal gain too.

So, the little sucker saved the day and sounded good too. I was thinking I would need to buy a speaker and mixer, or the Yamaha Stagepass 200, etc.

If I had a do-over on my guitars, I would put the passive volume pot in them. Then I could do a little balancing with the wireless and the 1/4" jack into the same channel with tonematch and reverb.

It's amazing what you can get out of a 6.5" speaker. It's also good that there are places you can still play where people listen and you don't need to play loudly.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:44 AM

I bought my S1 Pro a couple of months ago and it's been great for home use. I've used it for guitar and vocals and just as a BT speaker for listening to music in the kitchen/garden/wherever. Very happy all round.

But I've used it for three gigs in the last week or so. The first was at a small art exhibition, a quiet audience who were primarily interested in chatting quietly to the artist and other invited guests, but also found time to watch us. A total of around 30 people.

The second was a small noisy bar, 30-35 people who paid us attention when we played one of their favourites but otherwise were talking quite loudly to their friends. For the last 20 minutes everyone was up dancing to some rock 'n roll.

The third gig was a house party for St Patrick's night, again around 30 people. This time they were quite attentive but spent the last hour up dancing.

I used a small mixer to obtain a great mix for my guitar plus vocals for me and my wife.

Those three gigs covered every scenario I'd planned for the Bose and I couldn't have been happier. Especially as it was just one carry in for us. If I hadn't had the Bose, I would have had to use my RCF speaker at 3 times the weight without any real advantages.

I had not auditioned any other similar units but on this basis I won't be searching for anything else anytime soon.
Old 03-18-2024, 07:04 AM

Thanks for posting that positive experience! I was also entertaining my Irish brethren last night. That small unit is well designed and puts out a lot of sound. Which mixer did you use with it? Did you find the onboard mixer lacking?
Old 03-18-2024, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

An S1 Pro is a great piece of equipment and has amazing coverage if you understand the gain structure and how to get the most out of the speaker. The only complaint I ever had about mine was it was very difficult to balance the two channels with mic and guitar and adjust the overall volume when needed. I solved that by getting a EAE Gigmix and it made all the difference in the world with the S1. I have since moved from the Bose products to Electro-Voice and while I love the flexibility of my 30m and the Everse 8 that I picked up yesterday, nothing sounds as quite good as a Bose to my ears.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-18-2024, 07:41 AM

Default Bose S1 Pro+ saved the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
An S1 Pro is a great piece of equipment and has amazing coverage if you understand the gain structure and how to get the most out of the speaker. The only complaint I ever had about mine was it was very difficult to balance the two channels with mic and guitar and adjust the overall volume when needed. I solved that by getting a EAE Gigmix and it made all the difference in the world with the S1. I have since moved from the Bose products to Electro-Voice and while I love the flexibility of my 30m and the Everse 8 that I picked up yesterday, nothing sounds as quite good as a Bose to my ears.

Thanks for chiming in. The Everse 8 was interesting to me, but doesn’t have the third input onboard. I was looking at the little mixers too. The JBL compact would have worked too. I had one before the Bose for the same scenario. Otherwise a bigger system usually solves all these problems.

[EDIT]

It occurred to me that I already have a 4 channel mixer. My Rodecaster Pro II. If I run into a situation where I need 4 inputs, I would pair this mixer with some powered speakers. Maybe EV, Alto, or even another Bose S1+. The Rodecaster is powered by USB C and can run off of a battery too. It's amazing how far this stuff has come in 5 years.

Last edited by martingitdave; 03-18-2024 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:53 AM

@ martingitdave...

The mixer is new to me, a Behringer Xenyx 1002B. It can be battery powered and I bought it primarily for busking, something I haven't done for years but suddenly have an urge to go back to..!

But it also fits the bill for use with the battery powered S1 Pro and gives us the freedom to perform wherever we want. The lack of FX on the desk isn't really an issue, having reverb on the S1.

The S1 mixer alone works great with my dread fitted with a Lyric but not so good with my Yamaha SLG. In fact, it's abysmal...!

I have a battery powered guitar amp modeller with it's own EQ and that covers use with my Tele.

I use a Shure A85F on the mic input, makes a big difference.

The onboard mixer with the Bose is ok but obviously limited with just bass and treble controls but you could get away with it when busking.

I've yet to find a situation where I would use the Bose in an upright position, it always sounds better when leaning back.

Overall, a very satisfied customer.

Last edited by TheSaint; 03-18-2024 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-18-2024, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I needed to do a quick performance this evening with a small amount of sound reinforcement. But I needed two mics and a guitar.

I sold my PA stuff some time ago and have been using a Yamaha THR practice amp at home and a Bose S1 Pro+ for occasional needs.

It occured to me while looking at the Bose that the third channel had a 1/4" input. I'm used to ignoring the aux on mixers. I figured what the heck?! It worked. I plugged a K&K straight in. Little treble, little cut on the bass, and in business. I guess you could slide in a reverb pedal if you felt obligated. I have one that increases the signal gain too.

So, the little sucker saved the day and sounded good too. I was thinking I would need to buy a speaker and mixer, or the Yamaha Stagepass 200, etc.

If I had a do-over on my guitars, I would put the passive volume pot in them. Then I could do a little balancing with the wireless and the 1/4" jack into the same channel with tonematch and reverb.

It's amazing what you can get out of a 6.5" speaker. It's also good that there are places you can still play where people listen and you don't need to play loudly.
Very cool this saved the day for you, Dave. I saw in a later post you have a Rodecaster mixer you can use. Have you ever tried it with the mixer?
I have a friend who gigs an original S1 Pro with the Bose Tonematch mixer and wow did that sound good. I used to gig my original s1 w/o a mixer and the difference between his sound and mine was night and day (his was so much better).

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 03-18-2024, 10:34 AM

I use a Bose Tonematch mixer with my L1 Mll and very nice it is too.

I'm not in a position to hook it up with the S1 at the moment, but looking forward to trying them out in the summer, so your comment was good to hear.

I bought the Behringer mixer purely for its portable battery option.

I truly happy with my L1 system but I'm already getting itchy fingers to try the EV 30M that I keep reading about. Mainly for the 6 channel facility.

Someone talk me out of it please...!!
Old 03-19-2024, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaint View Post

I'm not in a position to hook it up with the S1 at the moment, but looking forward to trying them out in the summer, so your comment was good to hear.

I truly happy with my L1 system but I'm already getting itchy fingers to try the EV 30M that I keep reading about. Mainly for the 6 channel facility.

Ok, here goes. You don’t need it. Did that help? I figured not. [emoji3]
Old 03-19-2024, 02:27 PM

GAS is always present, isn't it....!!

I think finances will probably provide a natural filter for the time being, but thanks anyway...

Old 03-19-2024, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaint View Post

If it helps, it’s not really a 6 channel mixer. It’s a 4 channel mixer with a stereo input on channels 5 and 6.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-19-2024, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
If it helps, it’s not really a 6 channel mixer. It’s a 4 channel mixer with a stereo input on channels 5 and 6.

There you go! Who needs a stinking for channel mixer with a stereo?

Answer: nearly every acoustic artist and his/her partner on Earth.

[emoji23]
Old 03-20-2024, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

I've use the aux input on my Bose S1 for my mandolin while running guitar and vocals through the two main channels. It sounds fine and the only downside is that I have to unplug it on breaks if I plan to play music via bluetooth. That's a small compromise I've been willing to make on those rare occasions when it happens. I'll be using the S1 for an assisted living gig tomorrow.
Old 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
I've use the aux input on my Bose S1 for my mandolin while running guitar and vocals through the two main channels. It sounds fine and the only downside is that I have to unplug it on breaks if I plan to play music via bluetooth. That's a small compromise I've been willing to make on those rare occasions when it happens. I'll be using the S1 for an assisted living gig tomorrow.

Very good. Another satisfied customer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification