The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-21-2024, 10:39 AM

Default Tweeter or Horn for high end acoustics

I am in the market for a very good powered speaker, stand alone, for small to medium gigs. It does not need a lot of effects but does it need to have a tweeter to capture the clear highs from my guitars.
I see systems that have a horn but from my experience a horn is not as clear as a speaker with a tweeter on board. Or am I wrong about that?
And the speaker to handle the lows should be a 10" rather than a 8". Is that true or is there a speaker that provides great lows through an 8"?
I also need three line inputs for guitars and XLR's for the mics. I like a gain control, not just a master volume as well. Of course it has to have an effects loop for outboard effect pedals.
Is there a very good amp/speaker combo that meets these specs?
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo

Last edited by hotroad; 03-23-2024 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:13 PM

Probably hundreds of possibilities. What's your budget? How large a venue? Are you looking for a guitar amplifier or a PA? You could use a small mixer and almost any powered speaker but it depends on what you're doing with it and what you're running through it. Are you able to go to a store where they sell options to try out? In the Bend area there should be plenty of options for you to sample locally. If not, jump in the car and head to Portland for the day. No shortage of possibilities there. Sound systems, to me, are very personal and need to be evaluated in person to make sure the sound you want is the sound you get.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:19 PM

Default Do I Need a Tweeter

Look at Acus or Schertler if you want that many channels. Most “amps” and speakers provide 2. Otherwise, it needs to be a mixer and speakers. Maybe consider a Bose system with the T8 mixer if you want simplicity?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification