The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-10-2023, 07:59 AM

Default Pine weaker than alder?

I have a classic vibe tele that’s made from pine (I assume yellow pine based on color and the weight) I know pine is softer and tends to dent and scratch easier but does that mean its structurally weaker than something like alder? When buying a guitar longevity and durability is important to me, I can live with scratches and dings but I don’t want it to be more vulnerable than a standard guitar. Any insight or assurance would be appreciated! It definitely does dent and scratch easy but it’s also very heavy.
Old 11-10-2023, 08:44 AM

The only places they're weaker are where screws are threaded in. So if you remove the neck a lot, you might want to invest in metal thread inserts and screws that fit them.

If you don't, it should be a stable instrument.
Old 11-10-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
The only places they're weaker are where screws are threaded in. So if you remove the neck a lot, you might want to invest in metal thread inserts and screws that fit them.

If you don't, it should be a stable instrument.
Weaker as in they strip out easier?
Old 11-11-2023, 08:34 AM

The neck is not pine, the screws are fine into the neck. The guitar will be around a long time unless you do a Spinal Tap on it.
Old 11-11-2023, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtross1297 View Post
I have a classic vibe tele that’s made from pine (I assume yellow pine based on color and the weight) I know pine is softer and tends to dent and scratch easier but does that mean its structurally weaker than something like alder? When buying a guitar longevity and durability is important to me, I can live with scratches and dings but I don’t want it to be more vulnerable than a standard guitar. Any insight or assurance would be appreciated! It definitely does dent and scratch easy but it’s also very heavy.

You sure it's pine? I bought two Squires that were both poplar. I can tell you that one of them, is one the best guitar bodies that I have used for a partscaster. And don't worry, like pine, the only thing you have to worry about is stripping screws if you're too heavy handed.

This Jaguar started out as a Classic Vibe Squire (the only thing left from the original guitar is the body and strap holders).

Last edited by rockabilly69; 11-12-2023 at 03:56 AM.
Old 11-12-2023, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

The yellow pine Squier CV I had was very dense and heavy….considerably more so than any alder Tele or Strat I’ve owned…I have a Rutters one piece sugar pine Tele body that is very light and soft… considerably more so than any alder Tele or Strat I’ve owned ……so it depends on the pine in question….the pine used on many of the Squier CV Teles is known to be the heavy dense variety..
Old 11-12-2023, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
The neck is not pine, the screws are fine into the neck. The guitar will be around a long time unless you do a Spinal Tap on it.
True the neck isn't pine, but the screws go through the neck and the threads "dig " into the pine body. So, yes if the body is made of a softer species of pine the process of backing the screw in and out can result in less holding power eventually.
Old 11-12-2023, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaharadelta View Post
True the neck isn't pine, but the screws go through the neck and the threads "dig " into the pine body. So, yes if the body is made of a softer species of pine the process of backing the screw in and out can result in less holding power eventually.
You have it backwards. The screws go through the pine body and "dig" into the neck. The holding power is due to the threads in the neck.
Old 11-13-2023, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
You have it backwards. The screws go through the pine body and "dig" into the neck. The holding power is due to the threads in the neck.
I stand corrected, my apologies. Wouldn't be my first dumb comment here
Old 11-13-2023, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

If the body is heavy then I’d wager that it’s not the light weight white pine like you see at Lowes.
Old 11-13-2023, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaharadelta View Post
I stand corrected, my apologies. Wouldn't be my first dumb comment here
Yeah, but you probably missed my dumb answers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
fender, pinecaster, telecaster