The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-06-2021, 02:01 PM
Musical minimalist

Default Strange streaming scenario...

At my studio, I have two Dell PC's - one older with Windows 7 home premium and one that's about 5 year old with 8.1.

I use Google Chrome on both, and have no problems with any other video (Youtube etc) but when I try to watch The Golf Channel, or the NBC Sports Gold's golf streaming service that I pay for, it works fine until I go full screen....then it freezes up after a minute or two. When I go back to the small screen, it takes a few seconds, then starts back up.

I regularly use Ccleaner and empty cache/cookies etc.

Anyone have any ideas on what the heck is going on?

Old 05-06-2021, 02:10 PM

I wonder if is perhaps lack of RAM, processing power, or even video card/chip? The computer is trying to resize the image but runs out of RAM or processing power.

I would first try watching it on a different browser to see if it's better. If not, I would turn off everything else you have running in the background (if anything) to see if it improves.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:27 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I wonder if is perhaps lack of RAM, processing power, or even video card/chip? The computer is trying to resize the image but runs out of RAM or processing power.

I would first try watching it on a different browser to see if it's better. If not, I would turn off everything else you have running in the background (if anything) to see if it improves.
I just tried IE and it wouldn't even play it - then Edge and it did the same thing (froze when full screen)

Both scenarios there was nothing else running or open. But what's strange is I can play two YT videos in open tabs at the same time and it works fine.

I also just had two tabs of NBC streaming going (the second full screen) and it worked fine.

Last edited by fitness1; 05-06-2021 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:49 PM

Here's the NBC FAQs on live streaming. Perhaps you just need to update your version of Adobe Flash.

https://www.nbcsports.com/FAQ
Old 05-06-2021, 02:57 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Here's the NBC FAQs on live streaming. Perhaps you just need to update your version of Adobe Flash.

I went there earlier, and it says that Adobe no longer supports Flash and recommends uninstalling it.

Old 05-06-2021, 03:00 PM

Quote:

Good luck with that...Flash has been discontinued as of Dec. 31, 20202 so no updates are possible.

But I agree with Dru, it likely has more to do with available RAM (either system or on the video card). Remember, too, that video size and processing power follows the square law: doubling the physical dimensions means the original area is squared (i.e. 4x the pixels means more processing power is needed to double the size of the video).

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 05-06-2021, 03:09 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
Good luck with that...Flash has been discontinued as of Dec. 31, 20202 so no updates are possible.

But I agree with Dru, it likely has more to do with available RAM (either system or on the video card). Remember, too, that video size and processing power follows the square law: doubling the physical dimensions means the original area is squared (i.e. 4x the pixels means more processing power is needed to double the size of the video).

Phil
Interesting - I just had 4 separate tabs streaming the golf channel simultaneously, but not full screen and none of them shut down.

I also just had NBC, ABC, The Golf Channel and NBC Sports all streaming at the same time on separate tabs (small screen) with no issues.

Old 05-06-2021, 04:23 PM
Musical minimalist

Just got home and tried it on my laptop - same thing. Go to full screen and it freezes after a couple minutes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic