The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-06-2021, 09:10 AM

Default L1 pro 8 or 16 or QSC K8.2

Hello everyone!

Looking to upgrade sound coverage for some outdoor shows. I want to keep it portable while having good sound and enough volume when needed.

I have two Fishman SA330x systems. They sound great. I've used them outside before as a pair and it went well. So maybe I don't need to buy anything new aside from adding a sub for outdoor shows but I'm not sure.

If I do go with another brand, does anyone have experience with the new Bose L1 pros? The 8 and 16 are what I'm looking at.

Either that, or I'm considering a QSC K8.2 to pair with my Fishman 330x for outdoor shows. These are outdoor lunch/dinner shows, small parties, grand openings of local businesses etc. Not large concerts. I leave big sound to local sound pros. I just want good coverage as a solo performer (guitar/vocals) outside.

I feel like the Bose L1 might have an edge with the built in sub for outdoor oomph. Then again, clearly the QSC has more than enough power and is time tested and well made. Ultimately though, I can just add a Fishman sub to my current set up and call it a day.

Suggestions please.
Appreciated.

Last edited by JPH; 05-06-2021 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Left out current set up.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:49 PM

Default My mistake

Hey, I just realized I started a similar thread a while ago. I'd forgotten about it. I haven't been on the forum for quite a while.

I'm going to keep using the Fishman SA330x pair for now and if I find that I need more power, I can always trade one of the 330s and get a QSC K speaker.

Still very interested in hearing about any of your experiences with the new Bose L1 Pro 8 and 16 though.

I tried searching on the forum and haven't found any info on them.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2021, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH View Post
Hey, I just realized I started a similar thread a while ago. I'd forgotten about it. I haven't been on the forum for quite a while.

I'm going to keep using the Fishman SA330x pair for now and if I find that I need more power, I can always trade one of the 330s and get a QSC K speaker.

Still very interested in hearing about any of your experiences with the new Bose L1 Pro 8 and 16 though.

I tried searching on the forum and haven't found any info on them.

Thanks
When the Pro line was first announced there was a fairly long thread or two especially on the Pro8, and I started one that ended pretty quickly on the Pro16. Too lazy to look them up at the moment! I find the best current source of constantly updated L1 Pro information is in its public FB group, https://www.facebook.com/groups/BoseL1 though you have to be admitted to it to post. Pretty much a daily stream of commentary, photos and demos, though tending more to the higher end (Pro32). Not exclusively though.

AGF'er Groberts has a bunch of Pro8 videos, here's his first one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF-UQeiF0-c

It's more powerful than the Compact, I don't know how it would compare to the lovely sa330x. Obviously I haven't seen your venues but if you're currently playing without the Fishman subs for those units, I suspect adding those would be enough. There are many tradeoffs. E.g. the Pros have the option of app-controlled settings and unbeatable dispersion, but no mid-EQ or master volume. Your Fishmans have much more tone shaping and associated controls, and pro connectivity options out back.

Folks report loving the sound of the Pro line. The biggest gripe on the 16 is a more wobbly center stick when a middle plastic extension is inserted to increase the stick to max height. It is definitely more wobbly than the Compact but some people care, some don't, and I suspect there's some manufacturing variability too. The only two locals I've talked to who use the 16 wouldn't shut up about how much they loved theirs. They were amazed by how sweet it sounds plus its power for its size.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:10 PM

Thank you for the reply. I'll stick with what I know sounds good to my ears and keep using the 330x. I might add the sub for outdoor shows. I think you're right, that should do it.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

You're very welcome and good luck.

I happened to stumble across the first thread on the Pro8 and 16

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=596457

In case you're curious. This was early days, most of what's said in that thread is probably accurate!
Old 05-11-2021, 08:59 PM

Nice, I'm going to read through that now. Thank you!
Old 05-12-2021, 07:13 AM

The only complaints ive
heard about the pro series
is how wobbly the array is.
Seems like an inevitable point
of failure.
You cant go wrong with QSC. imho.
I currently use a schertler sub with
a qsc cp8 and its really stellar.
But ive owned k12 and k10 and 10.2
I just think they are better than any
bose system. Bose of course being array fills the room with sound.
outdoors not as much.
What i like about the Schertler qsc combo is i can turn the qsc off
with the gain knob and eq the
sub individually . Its a 200hz crossover so there is a bit more
guitar going to the sub than most other subs.
I can eq that than turn up the cp8
for all the crisp. It has become
one of my favorite setups.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:15 AM

If you’re going to upgrade the SA330x, I’d instead go for an EV Evolve 30m or 50m (depending on your spl needs/weight requirements). Those models are tried and true! Then like you said from there just add on QSC speakers when needed (if ever). If you don’t require a subwoofer (I don’t), then I would just skip the EVs keep the Fishman as-is and add on a couple CP8/K8.2s. That will be a killer setup, anything bigger and you should be DI’ing out to an in house PA system anyhow.
Old 03-30-2022, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post
If you’re going to upgrade the SA330x, I’d instead go for an EV Evolve 30m or 50m (depending on your spl needs/weight requirements). Those models are tried and true! Then like you said from there just add on QSC speakers when needed (if ever). If you don’t require a subwoofer (I don’t), then I would just skip the EVs keep the Fishman as-is and add on a couple CP8/K8.2s. That will be a killer setup, anything bigger and you should be DI’ing out to an in house PA system anyhow.

Solid. thank you! I did just that. Kept one of the 330s, gave the other to my son to gig with, and I added a K8.2.

Great setup. Very happy.
Old 03-30-2022, 04:41 PM

Default Bose Pro 16

JPH-

I'm in a similar situation- trying to decide between Fishman 330x, QSCs, and Bose. I recently purchase a Bose L1 Pro 16 from Sweetwater and played around with it in multiple spaces. In short, I agree about the sound dispersion- very good; I also found the sub to really fill out the sound in the room. But, when I pushed the Bose, past half volume on the acoustic channel, the tone became harsh. I practiced with my drummer and when I cranked the Bose, it felt compressed and sharp. I really want to like the Bose because it seems like such a simple solution, but right now I'm going to try out the Fishman and then two QSC K series (8s). I'm thinking 8s with a sub would work well for a bigger venue.

Tars
Old 03-30-2022, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tars View Post
JPH-

I'm in a similar situation- trying to decide between Fishman 330x, QSCs, and Bose. I recently purchase a Bose L1 Pro 16 from Sweetwater and played around with it in multiple spaces. In short, I agree about the sound dispersion- very good; I also found the sub to really fill out the sound in the room. But, when I pushed the Bose, past half volume on the acoustic channel, the tone became harsh. I practiced with my drummer and when I cranked the Bose, it felt compressed and sharp. I really want to like the Bose because it seems like such a simple solution, but right now I'm going to try out the Fishman and then two QSC K series (8s). I'm thinking 8s with a sub would work well for a bigger venue.

Tars

I agree, K8s will totally do the job. If you need the bass, add a sub, but I have never taken a sub to gigs. Just me, my guitar and vocals.

For the money, I don't believe the Bose offers enough. Not many inputs, no master volume to my knowledge. I agree the dispersion of BOSE is incredible, but at a major cost and with limitations. For the money, it's tilted in favor of BOSE IMO.
Old 03-31-2022, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH View Post
Solid. thank you! I did just that. Kept one of the 330s, gave the other to my son to gig with, and I added a K8.2.

Great setup. Very happy.
Hey thanks for following up! Awesome - that makes me happy!

I do miss playing in front of a sa330x at home and mixing from the expander on my mic stand. It just didn’t carry sound far enough in some gigs plus I started caring how many db’s I am blasting into my ears so at gigs I would run it out in front of me in the end.

I will start this year’s gig season with a single QSC CP8 on a stand and go through a Roland AC-33 at monitor level and mix from that. I was gifted a 6 channel behringer mixer though so I will use that when more inputs are required. Ideally I’ll eventually have 3 CP8’s (one as a monitor) and a tablet controlled mixer.

I think this type of modular setup can cover far more needs (as little or as much as you need) then just buying an Electro-Voice 30m or 50 which can be a heavy carry in one hand and you may run into a situation where you need to throw up a QSC in the air anyways so what’s the point. Anything (gigs) bigger and I stand by my original post that they would usually have an in house/outdoor PA I can line into anyways.

Last edited by jpino; 03-31-2022 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-31-2022, 08:13 PM

Default SC

If you decide on a sub the Fishman sub is not very impressive. Funky pole size only SA330 fits. The Bose Sub1 is far superior! I have both. QSC K8.2 is louder/with a cleaner high end than the Bose. Bose has smoother mids, less fatiguing and Bose has MUCH less stage volume if you value your hearing. K8.2 105 degree throw, Bose 180 degrees, really does fill a huge space. Pro 16 has good bass, K8.2 needs a subwoofer for full range sound. Can't beat QSC 6 year warranty!
Old 04-01-2022, 08:55 AM

I responded to this thread almost a year
Ago and will still agree the qsc 8 with a small
Sub is one of the best acoustic setups
Ive found..ive tried alot. The band uses
Bose and there is no comparison.
First you cant seperate the sub from
The main so there is no tweaking of each..
Second .bose inevitably sounds harsh when pushed. (I do like the monitor effect
That the array system gives you though).
Third. Bose just seems to occupy that midrange response that acoustic guitars are always trying to cut...just seems your tonally
Starting out at a dissadvantage right out of the box..
And fourth..they are expensive for what you get.
Just my humble opinion.
Old 04-05-2022, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
When the Pro line was first announced there was a fairly long thread or two especially on the Pro8, and I started one that ended pretty quickly on the Pro16. Too lazy to look them up at the moment! I find the best current source of constantly updated L1 Pro information is in its public FB group, https://www.facebook.com/groups/BoseL1 though you have to be admitted to it to post. Pretty much a daily stream of commentary, photos and demos, though tending more to the higher end (Pro32). Not exclusively though.

AGF'er Groberts has a bunch of Pro8 videos, here's his first one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF-UQeiF0-c

It's more powerful than the Compact, I don't know how it would compare to the lovely sa330x. Obviously I haven't seen your venues but if you're currently playing without the Fishman subs for those units, I suspect adding those would be enough. There are many tradeoffs. E.g. the Pros have the option of app-controlled settings and unbeatable dispersion, but no mid-EQ or master volume. Your Fishmans have much more tone shaping and associated controls, and pro connectivity options out back.

Folks report loving the sound of the Pro line. The biggest gripe on the 16 is a more wobbly center stick when a middle plastic extension is inserted to increase the stick to max height. It is definitely more wobbly than the Compact but some people care, some don't, and I suspect there's some manufacturing variability too. The only two locals I've talked to who use the 16 wouldn't shut up about how much they loved theirs. They were amazed by how sweet it sounds plus its power for its size.
I agree with this post across the board.

I own two Pro16's, and at one of gigs that I play a Pro16 is the house PA. I also used the Fishman solo amps for a few years. Although they both are line array style speakers, I prefer the tone of the Fishmans, but I love the dispersion of the Bose systems. They are both very useable. But I think without one of the Bose T1 T4 T8 mixers I would go with the Fishman for the tone shaping ability. With the phone app, the Bose systems are just too limited for me without the midrange EQ. And the wobbly thing does bother me, so much, I just leave the extension out if it's a crowded room. I only own a T1, so I have to use two cables to use it with my Pro16, but it sounds great, and really brings out the best of the Pro16. I have scenes set for every venue I would use it in. And the ability to create different scenes really is a great feature. I keep one of my Pro16s in my living room to rehearse with, as a bonus, I use it with my home A/V system for watching TV where it's great to listen to movies through. The sub sounds great!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification