The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-05-2021, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory70 View Post
Thank you both. The Fishman does seem well regarded. Now I can't help but wonder if I want the Artist model at twice the price...
I have a Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge and love it! I just took it to Guitar Center and did a direct A-V to the Fishman Artist. I went home with my Fishman LB Mini Charge and saved a ton of money! The Artist, to me, sounded worse no matter how I EQ'd it. The Artist does offer more volume and SPL, a better second channel, adjustable tweeter, Anti-Feedback filter (which I don't care for sonically), and more effects.

So in fairness, the Fishman Loudbox Artist brings a lot more to the table than the Loudbox Mini or Mini Charge. I just find the Mini charge sounds more natural and musical. I will be interested to hear how the OP likes the Artist.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 05-05-2021 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Love my Loudbox Mini Charge. Great tone for a acoustic amp with a internal rechargeable battery. Battery life is pretty good. I also love the Bluetooth feature for adding backing tracks via my IPad.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:51 AM

Quote:
I just bought the Loudbox Artist. Hard to pass up the Sweetwater Artist Bundle.

Thank you for your replies!
that's a good deal for sure, It's what I did when I bought mine a few year ago.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-08-2021, 08:57 AM

For six years I used the Loudbox Mini in the configuration described by the OP: I plugged my D-28 directly in, EQ'd it as a monitor, then ran it directly to the house. It was on a raised stand to my left, and I could hear it clearly. I really loved that little amp. Couple times a year it doubled as a PA for a small room, with guitar and microphone.

I use a Fishman 330x for guitar and vocals how. Fishman is just a great company.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I need an acoustic amplifier, and pretty soon. I was looking at the Fishman Loudbox Mini and the Fender Acoustic 100. I dont need much. I cant afford an AER. Just good tone, some reverb, a direct out to a PA. Anyone have experience with both? Also, if you direct out to a PA, is the internal speaker still active (to use as a monitor)?

Thank you.
Hi gregory…
Yes if you go direct out to the PA, the amp is still working…

My experience using small acoustic amps as direct box to the PA (about 20 years of use) is they are limited versus just running a small passive direct box ($30) at the end of the chain, where you send separate feeds to amp and house.

The ¼" goes to the amp, and the XLR to the PA.

Unless your amp allows a pass-through of the signal (without affecting it) buy a Direct Box and insert it right before the amp.

This permits adjusting ANY/EVERY ASPECT of your stage amp independent from the PA. Nothing upsets sound techs like an artist changing something on stage that affects the house.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-18-2021, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

I thought I would circle back after having the Artist for a couple rehearsals and one outdoor gig. In short, I am very pleased. It took some time to dial in the tone I wanted (like the sound of my Martin D-18, only louder). The EQ controls are very sensitive and need to be adjusted to match the volume and venue. I spent a lot of time playing the Martin on mute, then unmuting and adjusting EQ settings to find a "match." The end result was fantastic in rehearsal. At the gig, I ran an XLR out to the PA and had everything I wanted. Plenty of volume for me on stage, the sound guy was happy, the singer was happy. Everybody was happy. Greg is pleased...

Thank you for all your sage wisdom, experience, and input as it made for an easy decision for me.

One thing I will add is that it takes time to get used to playing an acoustic amplified. Things I thought I did well did not always translate to the amplified signal. String noise, muted strings, clean, ringing notes etc required some effort from me to overcome deficiencies I didnt realize I had. I suppose the upside is that perhaps my unamplified playing may improve as well.

Anyway, to summarize... Fishman Loudbox Artist = Great little amp with a lot of potential.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:39 AM

Greg, if you have not done so already, read this thread for ideas from member noledog for Artist EQ settings:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=557506

Cheers, _RP
Old 05-18-2021, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you both. The Fishman does seem well regarded. Now I can't help but wonder if I want the Artist model at twice the price...
Buy that. It has so much more than the Mini, including headphones. I find phones useful while looping phrases when practicing... the sort of thing that would drive anyone in the house mad if they could hear endless repetition.

PS. Just realised you bought one! Glad you like it.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPease View Post
Greg, if you have not done so already, read this thread for ideas from member noledog for Artist EQ settings:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=557506

Cheers, _RP
+1 on this. Highly recommend. I saved myself a lot of time by starting with noledog's settings on the a Fishman Artist I just bought.
Old 05-23-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
I thought I would circle back after having the Artist for a couple rehearsals and one outdoor gig. In short, I am very pleased. It took some time to dial in the tone I wanted (like the sound of my Martin D-18, only louder). The EQ controls are very sensitive and need to be adjusted to match the volume and venue. I spent a lot of time playing the Martin on mute, then unmuting and adjusting EQ settings to find a "match." The end result was fantastic in rehearsal. At the gig, I ran an XLR out to the PA and had everything I wanted. Plenty of volume for me on stage, the sound guy was happy, the singer was happy. Everybody was happy. Greg is pleased...

Thank you for all your sage wisdom, experience, and input as it made for an easy decision for me.

One thing I will add is that it takes time to get used to playing an acoustic amplified. Things I thought I did well did not always translate to the amplified signal. String noise, muted strings, clean, ringing notes etc required some effort from me to overcome deficiencies I didnt realize I had. I suppose the upside is that perhaps my unamplified playing may improve as well.

Anyway, to summarize... Fishman Loudbox Artist = Great little amp with a lot of potential.
I agree and it goes twice for Vocals........Amplified is a game-changer and you need to be ready for that...
Old 05-23-2021, 09:37 AM

And for even more eye (ear?) opening, try recording yourself through the amp!
Doesn’t have to be fancy, just stick your phone across the room.
Have fun, _RP
Old 05-23-2021, 10:05 PM

I have both the Loudbox mini and a Marshall 50 watt acoustic amp. Can't remember the model at the moment. I like them both but the edge goes to the Marshall because, well, it's a Marshall.
Old 05-30-2021, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

It all depends on what you expect as far as tone from an acoustic amp. If you want the tone to be as close as possible to sounding like a true acoustic gutiar, then in my opinion the Fishman, no matter how much you try to adjust the tone, is going not going to meet your needs. It won't even come close.

Then again, I'm as picky as they come... no pun intended.
Old 05-30-2021, 03:40 PM

I think getting an acoustic amp that will do the job for you depends entirely on what your expectations are...if it’s purely for amplifying your guitar, you have a lot of options. If you want to run vocals through it too, you’re limited in terms of what will give you a great tone for both.

I’ve owned a lot of acoustic amps (Marshall AS50R, Carlsbro Sherwood, Laney Audiohub 100 Mk1, Laney Audiohub 200, Fishman Loudbox Performer X3, Fishman Loudbox Artist, Mesa/Boogie Rosette 110, Schertler Roy, AER Domino 3, AER Compact XL, Hughes & Kettner Era 2 and AER Compact 60/4). Out of all of those, the ones that have fully met my needs and that I have kept, have been the H&K and the Compact 60/4.

Not perhaps coincidentally, both were expensive but relatively simply specced. A high quality, uncluttered workspace makes for good tone in my experience. The less fuss and features the better. All I want is clear, articulate guitar sound and defined vocal tone without ersatz coloration, and a splash of high quality reverb. I don’t need chorus, delay, flanger, phaser etc etc. Just the sound of a great guitar and vocal in a good room, but louder.

Some of the amps I have owned weren’t loud enough, some didn’t sound good for my purpose, some had clipping issues and some (every Fishman Loudbox I owned) suffered speaker failure.

My take would be to wait it out and save as much money as you can, and buy the very best amp you can afford. It’s a field in which you REALLY get what you pay for in every sense. If you can possibly save enough to buy an AER, chances are you will be totally satisfied in the long term. If not, try to seek out a Hughes & Kettner Era 1. I have the Era 2 which is the big brother, but the 1 is an outstanding amp in its own right. A different flavour to AER but very good nonetheless.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 06-02-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
It all depends on what you expect as far as tone from an acoustic amp. If you want the tone to be as close as possible to sounding like a true acoustic gutiar, then in my opinion the Fishman, no matter how much you try to adjust the tone, is going not going to meet your needs. It won't even come close.

Then again, I'm as picky as they come... no pun intended.
So, if the Fishman is not going to be the one, what is?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification