The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-15-2021, 07:54 PM

Default Help needed on recording audio on iPhone

As a total novice on acoustic guitar recording, I would appreciate advice on audio recording to iPhone videos.

I currently have a Neumann 184 to a Grace Design Felix that goes to my acoustic amp. I have used a Shure MV88 to record from amp but not quite the results I would like.

Between the Felix and iPhone, I would like to have the ability to add effects such as reverb, etc. And I would need to have an A/D interface to generate a digital signal that would be compatible with an iPhone/iPad.

What gear would work well for this application. Your advice is appreciated.

Dennis
Guild F-512
Yamaha FG-200
Old 04-16-2021, 06:43 AM

Hi Dennis.

You can record your audio with your phone, but you'll find the common advice is to do the video and audio separately and combine them with a editing program on your computer. It gives you a TON more flexibility and allows you to not burn in mistakes that can't be addressed if you record them simultaneously.

Here's a recent topic that deals with the process.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=610685
Old 04-16-2021, 10:17 AM

Many thanks Rudy.
Guild F-512
Yamaha FG-200
Old 04-20-2021, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Using a Shure MV88+ with a 6' lightning connector extension cord allowed me to record with the mic close to an acoustic amp and the phone at a decent position to record the video. It would be an inexpensive alternative for you since you already have the MV88 (the MV88+ is designed to be used separate from the phone).
Old 04-20-2021, 12:12 PM

Thanks Jim. I have used the MV-88 in the configuration you recommended, although the recorded audio seems to lack a bit of presence. As I use a mic for recording, the amp can't be too loud to avoid feedback.

Accordingly, this is why I would like to avoid the amp and record directly to iPhone/iPad if practical.
Guild F-512
Yamaha FG-200
Old 04-20-2021, 02:39 PM

If you want to DI into your iPhone the iRig Pro (or Pro Duo for stereo) does the job.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 04-20-2021, 04:18 PM

Thanks Fran. I have been researching both models of the iRig and it seems that this approach is what I am seeking.
Guild F-512
Yamaha FG-200
Old 04-25-2021, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

I am not using an IPhone, I have a Galaxy Note 20 Ultra. With this model I can finally attach an external microphone and record to video or audio files. However, although there are many cell phone DAWS that work well, I have not found a video recorder that includes reverb or other audio effects aside from unusable types of effects that are not music related. I can record the audio separately and include reverb, but I would prefer to avoid that step. I have no idea why these video programs can't add reverb and delay?
Old 04-25-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I am not using an IPhone, I have a Galaxy Note 20 Ultra. With this model I can finally attach an external microphone and record to video or audio files. However, although there are many cell phone DAWS that work well, I have not found a video recorder that includes reverb or other audio effects aside from unusable types of effects that are not music related. I can record the audio separately and include reverb, but I would prefer to avoid that step. I have no idea why these video programs can't add reverb and delay?
If you're importing your video to a DAW then you can't edit the audio? Reaper can import video, handle basic video editing functions and also has all the usual plug-ins for audio editing.

I worked a bit with using an external mic directly into my Motorola Smartphone, but the problem is the phone has automatic gain setting and some sort of automatic compression that makes the recorded audio less appealing than recording it a number of other ways and combining that with the video.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD