The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-07-2021, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

You choice is going to depend on what style your mother wants to play. Clawhammer? Three finger bluegrass? Two finger old time style?

Find out what she’s interested in learning and then go from there.
Old 02-07-2021, 05:17 PM

Another correction, Bart Reiter has retired from making banjos, although there are currently some stores that have existing inventory.

If mom is set on getting a resonator banjo then then consider The Deering models with wood tone rings such as the John Hartford with grenadilla tone ring. These banjos are considerably lighter than resonator banjos with cast tone rings.

The entry price is still 5 bills, but resale would be good if she decides to go the open back route.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

The White Lotus by Deering is a cheaper and lighter alternative to the Hartford model if you are looking at resonators.

Resale on a Hartford is not as good as you’d think.

Bart has his business up for sale. No takers yet though.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:56 PM

There is a Morgan Monroe resonator banjo in the AGF Classifieds for sale that might make a nice starter banjo...
Old 02-08-2021, 02:54 AM

I'd consider the Deering good time if she is leaning toward a resonator banjo, I started on one and was very happy for a long time. It is not too heavy as well. I have a Gibson RB that is quite heavy (I'd guess nearly twice the weight, makes my Les Paul feel light). I passed mine along to a friend who wanted to learn, or I'd still have it.

Various stringed instruments
Old 02-08-2021, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Resonator weight depends on the tone ring. Most of the Deering Goodtime resonator banjos don’t have a tone ring.

You can also play 3 finger Scruggs style on an open back banjo. Bill Evans demonstrates quite clearly this on Peghead Nation’s website.

https://www.pegheadnation.com/instru...ericana-banjo/
Old 02-08-2021, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
There is a Morgan Monroe resonator banjo in the AGF Classifieds for sale that might make a nice starter banjo...
And here is the link for you... https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=605013.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:49 PM

Consider Gold Tone too. I had a banjola for several ears, intended to help me learn five string banjo while not scaring the wife or the cats. I did not pursue it like I had planned, and sold my banjola about four years ago. It was a decent quality instrument, but not nearly as loud as a resonator banjo (not necessarily a bad thing). I would also support choosing an the open back version, at least as a starter instrument. https://goldtonemusicgroup.com/goldt...banjos?sort=az
Old 03-19-2021, 12:42 PM

I have a RK 80 banjo that's so very heavy I don't even play it!
Old 03-19-2021, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Funny I did the same thing for my mom for retirement. I highly recommend an open back model . The resonator is very heavy and loud which will probably be an issue for her. Deering is the best bang for the buck for starter
Old 03-19-2021, 02:41 PM

Eastman makes a crackerjack little banjo in your price range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4czWbkNlhlY

1936 Martin R18
Bourgeois Vintage D
Gibson F5 Goldrush Mandolin
Wildwood Balladeer Custom 5 string Banjo
Old 03-20-2021, 04:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Eastman makes a crackerjack little banjo in your price range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4czWbkNlhlY
And here be my review from August 25, 2018:

Today, I purchased an Eastman EBJ-WL1 Whyte Laydie No. 2 from Bernunzio Uptown Music, here in Rochester, New York. I left the banjo at the shop for installation of railroad spikes at the 7th fret and the 9th fret, and will pick it up next week. The store had three of these Eastman-Bernunzio collaborative recreations of a 1903 A.C. Fairbanks Whyte Laydie No. 2 available, and I chose the nicest sounding and constructed one. The three banjos I got to choose from are listed as B-stock with cosmetic flaws, and although I could see where the varnish had run on the peghead Mythical Beast of the other two, the one I chose looked mint. These are new banjos and carry the Eastman warranty. The list-price is $1700, and the usual selling price is $1359, but because of the "cosmetic" issues, I got mine dealt for $950 just for asking about pricing ($1075 is their web-posted price), and with railroad-spike installation included. The banjo comes with a nice old-fashioned style "bump" hardshell case. It'll be interesting to compare the tone of this Eastman Whyte Laydie to my Bart Reiter Regent Whyte Laydie. My banjo at Bernunzio's.

From the Eastman Music Company Website -
EBJ-WL1:
Neck Material: 3 Piece Maple w/ Ebony Strip
Fingerboard: Ebony
Fingerboard Radius: Flat
Nut: 1 11/32
Fretwire: Jescar FW37053
Scale Length: 26"
Rim Material: Maple
Rim Demensions: 3/8" thick x 10 3/4" width Rim 3/8"
Body Top: Coated Remo Head
Body Back/Sides: Open Back Maple Rim
Binding: Fingerboard
Binding Material: Ivoroid
Inlay: Pearl Diamond, Star, Diamond
Hardware Color: Chrome
Head Skin (Top): Remo BJ-1012-H6
Bridge: Maple/ Ebony Top
String Spacing:10mm
Nut Height: .022"
Tuners: Pingwell RM-1310C
Strings: D'adarrio EJ61NY
Action Height: Strings 1-4 (0.09"), String 5 (0.06")
Case: Hardshell Case

Eastman EBJ-WL1 Whyte Laydie and Emerald X20 Carbon Guitar Transparent Green Finish:

Current Banjos:
Vega No. 2 Tubaphone
OME North Star Walnut
Eastman EBJ-WL1 Whyte Laydie
Vega 12" Old Tyme Wonder
Rickard 12" Maple Ridge Dobson
Pisgah 12" Walnut Tubaphone
Bart Reiter Regent Whyte Laydie
Deering Sierra Flathead Resonator
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 03-20-2021 at 04:06 AM.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:23 AM

Default Stone Banjo

Steve Gerritson at Stone Banjo makes some beautiful banjos - don’t know what music she likes, but an open back for old time etc. might be a way to go, I would imagine finger picks might frustrate her. His 19th century tribute fretless is my favorite, strung up with red nylgut. The fret less can be a challenge, but he makes traditional open backs too. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything of his over $1000, but I haven’t looked in awhile. He’s really good to deal with as well.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:33 AM

Default Stone banjo update

Just checked Steve’s website and he has two for sale, a 12” and an 11” inch for $1100 and $950 respectively. I’d go with the 11 inch. I have one of those 60s Vegas that Aristophan is fond of with an 11’’ head and it’s definitely easier to hold. I love the Pisgah 12” and have a half fretless, but it’s a little more challenging to play even though it has a beautiful sound. If you go for the 12” definitely get a strap as the long neck and big head can be hard to hold (longer than a guitar neck)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments