The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-14-2007, 07:27 AM

Default The versatile ES-335: Is it really?

I've been reading up on the 335, and more than one person lauds it's ability to cross over genres, saying it's good for blues, classic rock, and jazz.

It just so happens those are three of my favorite guitar genres.

And I've been wanting an electric guitar. You see where this is going, right?

Yep, I've got some serious GAS brewing. I've had a few occasional bouts of mild GAS over the last year for a Strat, or an LP, but it always went away 'cause neither guitar really yet seemed right.

From what I've read so far, the 335 seems right.

Got 'ta get myself down to the music store and try one out.

Only challenge, if I find I like it, is going to be the price.

All right, fellow AGFers, talk me into or out of a 335.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:51 AM

yep, i think so....the 335 type guitars are remarkably versatile..the gibson, obviously being the "flagship" but, i just bought a ibanez as73 which is a 335 "type" and am very impressed with its versatility ...i think its the combination of the semi-hollowbody, humbuckers, the neck shape (something all the artcores have going for them) and the double cutaway....i dunno but, even the epi dots are more versatile than most electrics.
if you can afford a "335" i wouldn't hesitate...can't go wrong..imho...

btw,...bob,....calling bob womack.....( he got one recently and reviews it on his web page)..
Old 06-14-2007, 07:53 AM

I've played several recently and my honest opinion is that they are not worth the money, I was not impressed at all with the fit and finish of the ones I played, yes they did sound great but no better that one of these, Epiphone Sheraton II
I have an older one and it plays and sounds incredible.

I would suggest that you A and B one with an ES335 to see if you really feel paying 4X as much is worth it.

JMHO

Rick
Old 06-14-2007, 08:06 AM

I have a cherry red 1997 ES-335 dot reissue which is my main gigging guitar. I'm an old geezer who's built up a collection of nice guitars over the years including all the usual suspects but for a versatile, great sounding, looking and playing guitar the 335 can't be beat.

So... the answer's YES!
Old 06-14-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC View Post
I've played several recently and my honest opinion is that they are not worth the money, I was not impressed at all with the fit and finish of the ones I played, yes they did sound great but no better that one of these, Epiphone Sheraton II
I have an older one and it plays and sounds incredible.

I would suggest that you A and B one with an ES335 to see if you really feel paying 4X as much is worth it.

JMHO

Rick
gee, rick, i dunno....i happen to like the epiphones, especially the older ones, and have an emporer regent myself, but, if some likes the sound of the 335 i don't think you'll get that from a sheraton which, btw, is a very nice guitar in its own right.
when i was shopping for a 335 it was a sound that was leading me more than anything else..the as73 came remarkably close and since i had a very restricted budget was easily affordable..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=512566

don't get me wrong...i think the sheratons are great guitars but soundwise they are not a versatile and very differnet from a 335...imho, as well.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:12 AM

I have a '67 335. It's the best guitar ever and I have played in Blues, 60s, alt/country, jazz and straight-up rock bands. It is one of the most versatile, great playing guitars you could have.

I do agree that you could find a suitable non-gibson copy but you'll never go wrong with the real deal.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:15 AM

Go for it; it's a classic for a good reason. If you want to be able to emulate the tones by the guitarists who used one on records you like, it's the logical way to go. I use mine for everything from very clean sounds to Hendrix and Cream. A good amp would be important, too. My only regret with my ES-335/Boogie combination is that I didn't get it sooner.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:19 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Thanks for the wake-up call, Barrett. I've played for some 37 years on a variety of guitars and have only recently gotten my paws on an ES-335. My lovely bride got it for me for Christmas. I have to say the rumors are absolutely true. I'm thoroughly pleased with mine and love being able to shift from blues to jazz to rock basically by the amount of gain dialed into the amp and by how hard I attack the guitar. It has a very "sweet" sound compared to Les Pauls, Flying Vs, and Strats. At moderate gain, it is also quite expressive, in that the timbre changes quite a bit if you lean into the pick. I spent years trying to get this sound out of other guitars. Duhhhhhh.... The '57 Classic pickups are really nice in this application. My review is HERE. I spent about two hours with the guitar last night and was mesmerized once again.

The only downside is that you'll probably want a Fender amp soon after you buy the guitar.

Can't help you too much on the other brands but I bet there are others that are pretty near. I had a brief fling with the Heritages but ended up with a Gibson. Oh well. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-14-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthumb View Post
gee, rick, i dunno....i happen to like the epiphones, especially the older ones, and have an emporer regent myself, but, if some likes the sound of the 335 i don't think you'll get that from a sheraton which, btw, is a very nice guitar in its own right.
when i was shopping for a 335 it was a sound that was leading me more than anything else..the as73 came remarkably close and since i had a very restricted budget was easily affordable..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=512566

don't get me wrong...i think the sheratons are great guitars but soundwise they are not a versatile and very differnet from a 335...imho, as well.
You may be right, I'm not familiar with the newer Sheratons, mine is probably 10+ years old and sounds fantastic, I think what it has in common with the ES335 is the solid center block which IMO adds a lot to the sustain. I'm not sure why and ES335 would be any more versatile though. They are virtually the same configuration.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:33 AM

just call me the alarm clock!

i just thought of a way to "explain" the sound thing...
i was playing my as 73 (335 type ibanez) and found that a song i had written sounded best played up the neck with a capo at the 5th fret..sort of ringing mandolin sounding..very sweet and clear. i have been using a yamaha aex 500 for recording because it is soooo versatile and had very hot pickups so, i tried it out with the new tune...yuck!..that led to the strat, then the tele, then another artcore, even my eastman and a very rare epi les paul venetian hollow core...just not the same, not even on my dot studio with anlicos..hhmmmm...so i tried it on a friend's 335...identical! perfect match....there's some magic in that body, pickup, neck, mojo combination that is just really hard to reproduce...no, thats not a "plug" for the as 73 thoiugh, it is a really fabulous guitar at a great price ..its just an observation about the "335" sound...quite unique. like bob said,....i wish i'd realized sooner that that was what i was looking for..
you might go about trying some guitars with that kind of comparison in mind...
Old 06-14-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
The only downside is that you'll probably want a Fender amp soon after you buy the guitar.
Well, since this would be my first foray into the electric world I would need to get an amp too. Could save up for a while and go all out right away!

What Fender amp do you have and play your 335 through? What do you recommend?
Old 06-14-2007, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC View Post
You may be right, I'm not familiar with the newer Sheratons, mine is probably 10+ years old and sounds fantastic, I think what it has in common with the ES335 is the solid center block which IMO adds a lot to the sustain. I'm not sure why and ES335 would be any more versatile though. They are virtually the same configuration.
i think it is the unique ability of the" 335 types" to sustain or not...i know with my epis sustain is wonderful but its much more difficult to shorten the sustain and get a real clear crisp "chop"...again, that's all real subjective and, i imagine, player specific.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosine View Post
Well, since this would be my first foray into the electric world I would need to get an amp too. Could save up for a while and go all out right away!

not answering for bob....though i doubt he'd disagree (much)....the fender deluxe super reverb reissue is probably the most versatile amp you'll find and fairly reasonable at that...light, too!
i play through a 70's vintage twin but, that is wayyy overkill, even for me but, its what i have and have had and since i can;t imagine not having it it'll have to do...oh, the sacrifices we make..
Old 06-14-2007, 09:03 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosine View Post

I have a Marshall and an old Fender Champ but have been playing through a POD on a Fender preset. I've got a really nice model of the Deluxe on the POD with 2x12" open-back cab, a touch of compression, a pinch of echo, and a little spritz of reverb. I saving my pesos for a '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue (22 watts, 1x12"). It's small enough to use in a studio but big enough for a small club.

Of course, when I go back to real iron, I'll need a compressor pedal and possibly an overdrive.

But THEN I'll be set... Uh-huh.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-14-2007, 09:24 AM

In the 70's my main setup was a 345TD through a Deluxe Reverb, the best electric setup I ever had before I went acoustic. 335/45/55's are incredibly flexible guitars, they can be sweet and they can be nasty.

When I was young and poor a new guitar always meant trading the current guitar, and I've had dozens. My biggest all time regret of all the guitars I've had is the 345.

I think a 335 is also the type of guitar that a mostly acoustic player could enjoy as it does have a nice clean mellow side.

Go for it, the older the better!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars